Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Owners Associations

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I think HOA's are bogus. But, if some people like them and want to live in a place with them, hey that's fine with me. Myself, I'd rather live where I can have my own individual landscaping; fish pond, bonsai tree's, ornamental Hollywood junipers etc. than some cookie cutter Truman show where all there is to each house is grass and some tiny petunia's. If I want to go out and dig in the yard and plant what I want that's my business and not the concern of some busy body down the street who more than likely is just some stingy old miser who is holding onto each penny is just jealous because I have a nicer yard or built a family room or another bedroom onto the house. HOA's can kiss my pale white....:eek:

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'd blush at that Lincsong but I'm just about there myself. At least with the one we're in they can't do much to us if we ignore them. They can send all the letters they want, but the fact remains that there are no consequences built into the covenants aside from revoking my voting rights (of which I currently have none anyway) and banning me from common space (which is the playground and the drainage easements). Both are consequences that really don't phase me. I just don't like the dictatorship that they've set up with the sales associate as the gestapo.

Feraud

Bartender
A question for those involved with HOV. Do Home Owners Associations do what they intend to do. Apparently their sole function is to maximize profits. Unfortunately, it appears in their zeal for profits there allows for erring (or is it actually good business sense?) on the side of conformity.

So... is the HOV doing their job at the unfortunate expese of individual sense of style or are they a bunch of petty martinets?

As an aside, I think Nashoba's home is beautiful and appropriate for any neighborhood.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Home owners' associations are the bane of social existance. I do not and never will live under these neighborhood nazis. I know many people who do and it it and always has been problematic. I know some that are so detailed in their specific rules as to be just anal. Literally, if you put feed on your lawn and it becomes greener than the neighborhood norm you're in trouble. Literally if youput an extra decorative rock that the official landscapers didn't lay down you're in violation.

It goes on and on. You can't have a mini satellite system on the house only the approved cable system that the HOA gets a kick back on, no doubt. You can't park a car on the street! All cars have to be whisked into the garage. And I do mean whisked for if you dally and leave the door open so anyone can see your crummy cars in the garage you're in violation. Of course you can't work on your car technically even with the door closed.

Taking down Christmas decoration by a pre-determined date is fine but when an Asian put up Asian New Year decorations for a week he was in violation. Of course he didn't complain about everyone else's Christmas stuff.

You can't have any non-approved landscaping in the back yard behind your own 6 foot block wall. Why? You guessed it. If anyone were to look in and see it and be offended you'd be in trouble again. And that is extented to anything else in the yard be it an old BBQ or certain lawn furniture.

No you can't have a hose wound up in a hanger in sight. You're not allowed to use a hose for anything anyway, especially like washing a vehicle. And do not adjust the pre-set sprinkler timer to more or less or you're in violation. Don't plant anything not approved or even if it is approved without getting approval.

The 4th Reich goosesteppers in fact use the Nazi tactic of encouraging neighbors to anonymously rat on one another just like those zany chaps of the 3rd Reich did! They even tell their kids to look around the neighborhood and reveal what they see in a Hitler Youth wanna-be scenario!

There are simply too many people that masquerade under the pretense of community safety and astethics yet are attempting to spread their values and philosophies and decoration choices. There are telling YOU that you should live by their rules and you actually pay them for that!

It's just sick, perverted madness. I assure you, if you ever move to a location knowingly with a HOA you will be terribly, terribly sorry. The people I know who are under the brazen yoke of their oppression are totally disgusted.
th_violent069.gif

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
A question for those involved with HOV. Do Home Owners Associations do what they intend to do. Apparently their sole function is to maximize profits. Unfortunately, it appears in their zeal for profits there allows for erring (or is it actually good business sense?) on the side of conformity.

So... is the HOV doing their job at the unfortunate expese of individual sense of style or are they a bunch of petty martinets?

As an aside, I think Nashoba's home is beautiful and appropriate for any neighborhood.

I'd say petty martinets with no sense of style enforcing bland conformity. :(

See, it's Stepford! :D

I agree regarding Nashoba's domecile.
:)

Nashoba

One Too Many
Tell us how you really feel twitch :D

Feraud, first off, Thank you! I'm quite proud of this house, I think it was the best floor plan that they had to offer. Ours is the only one on our block and if I do say so myself ours is the best color combination and the ONLY house in our neighborhood that is white with navy blue shutters. Even if it weren't for the giganto flag pole our house would still stand out. And I like it that way :) Now if my apple trees in the front would just grow faster...
I think that when they are run by reasonable logically thinking people that they can be beneficial. We have enough room in our common area to perhaps one day add a pool or a gazebo/picnic area to the pathetic excuse they put in as a playground. That is something that that HOA would need to take care of and maintain. But as far as personal property goes, I don't particularly like them dictating to me. My next door neighbors fought to put in a pool and it was the sales associate and her boss representing the builder that threw the hissy fit and tried to stop them. They're pouring the concrete as I type :) One of my other neighbors wanted to put a concrete patio in her backyard for a basketball hoop and they tried to tell her she couldn't do that. Her kids now play basketball in the backyard. It isn't the management company that's causing our problems. It's the builder. But what we're finding is when we go over their heads and get clearance from the city first there's far less that they can argue with. I have no doubt that they can be beneficial. I see that they serve a purpose. But they need to be run by people who are not hell bent on forcing their idea of picket fence onto the rest of the neighborhood. And as long as there are individuals willing to stand up and fight for what they believe, I think that they can be quiet and in the background and something no one really thinks about.

Ours isn't quite that bad. The neighbors aren't so much the problem as the real estate agent who provides the warm body in the model home. She's the one who 'anonymously' continues to complain about things and tries to find us in violation of imaginary rules. She once tried to tell us that we had to have major landscaping approved and kept pushing until I pulled the covenents out and asked her to show me exactly where it stated that. And she couldn't. Same thing with the decorations. Outside of I think the christmas stuff (and it does say christmas) there is no specific timeline for how long stuff can be up. She tried to find a violation when we put in the flagpole too but there was no specification in the covenents and when you start telling a Marine that he can't fly the colors...well we won that argument too.
I hate to say it but she's part of why I put off mowing the lawn. I know it annoys her and I like to watch her squirm. It's evil I know, but I like to play with my prey ;)
We had a guy last year who had his garden on COMMON AREA. Lined it halfway with cinderblocks and planted a bunch of stuff. I had no problem with the garden. I had a problem with the fact that he couldn't put it on the 1/4 acre that he owned. He put it inthe common area below that I PAY to maintain. The sales associate's only problem was that he was growing corn and vegetables. She doesn't like corn. I rest my case. She's crazy. I think once we get rid of her and she quits driving through the neighborhood making things up it will be better because those of us who actually live here, know each other, and don't really care to be petty. But unfortunately they just barely started phase two. She's going to be here a while. :mad:

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I would never trust anyone who didn't "like" corn. What's up with that?

How does one not like corn? I am actually laughing as I am typing this.

You ought to send her a copy of "Children of The Corn" for Christmas. Anonymously, of course. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:

One of our clients at the CPA firm where I work is an HOA. I don't know how the residents feel about their HOA or how they deal with real or perceived problems. But part of the HOA's job is to maintain a repair and replacement fund for things like the pool, clubhouse, etc. Because of the large costs involved, they plan for these things several years in advance. So there is more to do than be neighborhood Nazis.

It seems that HOAs could use more tact to persuade residents to maintain their property better; nobody likes to take orders. Neighbors should also have enough sense not to use HOAs as a tool for getting even. My father had been maintaining his own vehicles inside the garage for years. One day, he declined to work on our neighbors car (pretty rudely, by his own telling). It wasn't until then that he ran afoul of the HOA for leaving the garage door open and his own personal mechanical work.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
In an attempt to lighten the mood...

Nashoba said:
Which is another issue we've had with our builder. When we bought the house we were told that it would have professional landscaping. I don't consider what they did professional and everything they put in has since died. I am no black thumb. I come from a long line of farmers, I know how to care for living things. And when I tried to complain I was literally told by the sales associate, look at what you paid for your house. Of course you weren't going to get 'landscaping'. I would have settled for a half-hearted attempt. They didn't even do that. But it's one more thing that's been cited to various people in the neighborhood by the HOA.

I'll bet what they meant by "professional landscaping" was that they paid someone else to do it! lol

I too, felt insulted by the comment regardint being "off the reservation". Kudos to you for not taking the bait.

I suspect the point he was trying to make was that if you live in a Covenant Controlled neighborhood, you do tend to give up certain rights. I agree with others that HOA's can be very arbitrary. Some of the people who sit on the boards of HOA's remind me of the folks who flunk the test to get into a law enforcement academy, then become security guards with an attitude.

It seems as if you are quite familiar with your CC&R's. As you say, they tend to be so vague that there can be numerous interpretations about them. I think the best option put forward is to contact your local media, and let them carry the torch for you awhile. Focus on your hubby, and let the other stuff go...for now.

Vietnam was my war, but we never had stop-losses and mandatory second and third tours. Many of us over-age types would be more than happy to take a tour on your husband's behalf. Never believe that you don't have the support of the people around you; we are here. Perhaps not visible, but we're here.

Semper Fi!

K

kpreed

Good and Bad

I have seen good and bad HOA's, but I like mine very much. Yes, some are power hungry type folks, but anyone on our HOA board can be voted out if we want. Sorry if you can not, but we made sure of that one when we formed it. I feel if your junk (dead cars and trash or house color) is out of my site from my home, it is none of my concern, but their are some I found who like to show how much junk they have and show it to all. This is my concern as your junk affects my property too. Like it or not. HOA's are because of them. Anyone wanting to take a shot at a pro-HOA guy, bring it on, but please do not mind if I shoot back.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nashoba what you should do is find a pro-bono lawyer (maybe an ex-Marine:) ) who will take her to court for harassment, restraining order or whatever legaleze he can apply.

While HOAs are in theory good the problem is with all clubs, they get folks in there that have little else to do. They seek power and control over others and can exhibit that almost at will.

It's got nothing to do with unsightly houses for the most part. Those rare cases are evident and resolve themselves pretty quickly. It's the interpretation of rules and perceived rules as applied by nosy-rosys and nit-pickers who obviously have some phychological need to feel superior to others by bullying them around.

In regard to landscaping, some friends moved to an HOA area after selling their condo, or thought they sold it. The deal fell through after they'd moved so they had to keep making payments on it AND the new house. The freaking HOA sights them for not having their back yard landscaped which could only be done by the Furher's approved lanscaper for over $5,000- their "Yard" is a dinky littleodd-shaped slice of probably 4-500 Sq. ft. max.

Their contention was the dirt blew with the wind and you can see the logic where they were going. Of course what you don't know is that literally across the street was a 50' high X 500" long dirt bluff and below were unsold dirt lots.

Yeah so my friends' piddly yard was a major cause of dirt in the wind. Right. It's not the administration, money and maintenance for the amenities in the subdivision. But rec rooms, pools and putting greens have nothing to do with anally retentive gestapo wanna-bes reading between the lines in the HOA's bylaws and inventing hidden Beatles messages that aren't there.

"Those numbers' style don't match the rest in the neighborhood." Not illegal but or covered in the bylaws but the scab pickers have to say something to keep their sour faces in tune.

And you know what, no HOA can take credit for the ubiquitous but very weak cry that they're keeping your property values up. More has gone on in the past few years in and not in areas covered by HOAs to influence real estate in an upturning direction. There's old crack houses in the ghetto worth several hundred thousand dollars now that your HOA had nothing to do with.

Seriously Nashoba, get a lawyer and make it personal. Obviously this female canine is doing that to you.
th_violent018.gif

HOAs
Explode-02-june.gif

Nashoba

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Nashoba what you should do is find a pro-bono lawyer (maybe an ex-Marine:) ) who will take her to court for harassment, restraining order or whatever legaleze he can apply.

Seriously Nashoba, get a lawyer and make it personal. Obviously this female canine is doing that to you.

No such thing as an Ex-Marine ;). Sorry, had to be said :D
I really do think that the issues we have will resolve once we actually have an association that is fully functioning. At least I hope so. If not I'm moving. I'm going to buy acreage and build something. Then I'll sit on my front porch with a shot gun and dare anyone to tell me I've had 'decorations' up too long....:rolleyes:

I certainly could, but then I would be no better than she. She will not be here forever and I live here, she does not. And besides, it's far more amusing to watch her squirm. I know where the line is and I know how to push the envelope just far enough that I'm not violating anything but I am driving her crazy. Forgive the metaphore but she's in my forest. I see her for what she is and she doesn't frighten me. She's very stupidly making herself into my prey and she has no idea what she's up against. I am a patient woman. I can wait. And I am far more evil than anyone gives me credit for.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Nashoba said:
And honestly we don't have any 'penalties' built into our convenants anyway. The most they can do is ban me from the common areas.

This being the case, may I offer a suggestion? Find a way to get your mind off of this. Do something to enjoy yourself and relieve your stress. If you must think about it, think about how you can avoid a fight. Court battles are expensive, emotionally draining, and they can go on for years. And once you start a fight (crusade?), it's hard to go back to a neutral position. I don't know how long your husband is going to be home, but you might end up frittering away the time in anger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld