Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg style?

J.B.

Practically Family
AlanC said:
Note this variation, the 'Lord's hat' (upper right hand corner).....
Nice ad, AlanC!!

BTW, that hat known as "Lightweight Cavalier" featured in the lower left corner of your Esquire ad attempted a reprise twenty years later in 1958, returning as "The Kadiddlehopper"... :D

redskeltonct5.jpg

...sadly in those twenty years -- the hat had become moth-eaten, the suit color-faded, and the male model appeared to have fallen on tonsorial hard times -- and the Cavalier's popularity was never restored to its former glory. :)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
bolthead, You asked for it (in another thread).

Here's my SNAP BRIM HOMBURG. (Stetson, Standard Quality, brown, 2" brim, 5 1/2" crown)

Homburg (center bash) with brim up.

P1040085.jpg

Homburg (center bash) with brim down.

P1040088.jpg

Pork pie bash (no pinch) with brim down.

P1040079.jpg

Pork pie bash (no pinch) with brim up. Sort of like a top hat.

P1040077.jpg

Fedora (front pinch) with brim down.

P1040082.jpg

Fedora (front pinch) with brim up.

P1040084.jpg

It took about 90 seconds to go from one to the other. The pork pie is the most difficult bash. It took twice as long. All shaping was done dry, no steam or water. This isn't my best hat, but it is certainly my most convertible. And, yes, there is such a thing as a "Snap Brim Homburg."

Topper

Vendor
The definition of a Snap brim is one down turned at the front and upturned at the back, none of the ones pictures so far show this.

The earliest documented homburg style from 1882 commissioned to be made by M??ckel show a standard crease down the tip ( some do have side crown flattened slightly inwards at the front - but not what i would call "Pinching") , the brims also had a more steeply "Curled" effect at the sides and flatter ( but still curled) at the front and back, some around 1904 show Edward VII with a saddle brim ( downturned back and front) but have not seen one with a snap brim - This is not saying that a Snap brim homburg cannot be made - but would need:

Uniform straight centre crease ( the main style mark)
Pencil or tight curled sides ( secondary style mark to differentialt it from a standard fedora/trilby with a single crease)
Down turned front brim AND Upturned back brim

If it is not both downturned & upturned (snapped) , then it is either merely a "downturned brim" (front downturned) or a "saddle" brim ( both front nd back downturned) or just flat! - you could have a just upturned brim at the front - but would look slightly strange!

There again stranger things have been done in the past - There is evidence os last century of a Bowler with a "under curl" ie. curled downwards under the brim!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Topper, The debate's over. You win. What I have shown is obviously nothing more than a hat with a bound pencil-roll brim which, by some accident of manufacture, can be worn either turned up or turned down. Thanks for showing me the error of my way. :eek:

Topper

Vendor
Going back to "Cicero" hat with started it - then presently it is not a homburg - in his own words he rebashed it. As the centre of the crown is not uniform straight crease.

As is - the brim is more like a bowler, hence ( similar to my my trilbowler hybrid) maybe a it merely a "ferdora" with a pencild curled bowler style brim! :rolleyes:

If Cicero's hat was reblocked with a standard standard uniform stright crease - then Yes - it would be a homburg (as it probably was before).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally