Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg and Bowler Reference

Originally posted by Matt Deckard
I have 4 now... You like brown?

I picked 'em up on ebay back when they was cheap.

The brown one is from the 50's

You have a brown bowler? Isn't it a Brown Derby? ;)

I forgot to mention that I will let you know what reaction I get from people when wearing a bowler. Should be here in a week or so. I am crossing my fingers. ;)
Anything I should know as a new bowler owner? :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Bogart in a Homburg
bogarthatsuit-vi.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bowler me over

I have just one Homburg, a light grey with the black band. It is a vintage Stetson, and it is in great conditon.

I had a KNOX 20 Bowler, with the pleated liner. MINT condition. It was a 7 1/4, so I sold it to Art.

It looked too Laurel & Hardy-ish to me.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Too formal

I agree, anything looked on Bogie. But for me, wearing a Homburg without a suit, doesn't work. It is a much more formal look than the fedora.

Which is why I like the fedora, it can dress up or down, sport shirt and dockers with the fedora looks great. Doesn't work with a Top Hat, Derby, or Homburg.

Anyone get the feeling "Clockwork Orange" when you wear a derby, Or the "Wright Brothers'?

Wild Root

Gone Home
At one time a bowler was considered a run of the mill hat. Most men wore them daily. Lots of men wore them as a hat to kick around in. The black ones were more dressy and formal in ways, but then again, most men did dress up just to stroll down the street on a Sunday afternoon. Today, bowlers and such are considered very dressy. Hey, even a nice button up shirt is dressy by today?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s standards. If it isn't flip flops, shorts and a T-shirt, then you're dressed up. LOL

I love to watch Stan and Olli! Those two really knew how to wear a bowler! Even with overalls on they still look cool! The Music Box was a great film and I hear from a friend of mine that the stair case and the homes still look the same since the 30's when the film was made.

Actually I have found the right bowler but it is not readily available anymore. The tall crown (6") extra wide brim (3 1/4") of the Cambridge type bowler doesn't look all that bad on me. It also affords more sun protection. I don't have the true Cambridge because the crown on mine is not all that flat on top. It has a more rounded look like a regular bowler---sort of old west style.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82