Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Stars and their Dogs (PICTORIAL)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I Can Haz Claws-Up Mr. DeMille?, or Cats in Movieland

Foofoogal said:
Cats were more often props than pets in the studio days.
Kitteh was not yet the boon companion of our day. Pampered purebred and humble mouser were about all the culture could embrace.
There were also undesirable associations to catty women and alley cattin' men, and of course, to this day the industry considers cats untrainable and hard to work with. For every cat on screen, you might see 20 publicity stills.
Still, a young kitten could portray playful innocence and a silky, fancy cat a certain kind of over-the-top elegance.
MaryPickfordPussy.jpg
Mary Pickford, nd
Carole+Lombard+%2B+cat.jpg
Carole Lombard, 1934
Lombard's madcap aristocracy was underlined by a double perfecta of cat imagery: the black Persian. They had noses then...
clark_gable_1940_0329_carole_lombar.jpg
Gable & Lombard, 1940
Again, the Siamese bespeaks refined affluence. Clark's he-man-ness was unassailable as long as he didn't hold kitteh too close - it's clear whose cats these are.

A rare exception to the carefully managed presentation of Felis catus in those years is Veronica Lake, in 1942, with a plain old fat fuzzbutt.
Veronica-Lake-and-cat-1942-small.jpg

After the 40s, candid shots became more accepted, showing stars - most all female, of course, a rule that still applies today - interacting with cats in a home or homelike setting.
Grace-Kelly-1950s-Hollywood-Cats-via-Photofest.jpg
Grace Kelly, ca. 1952
Tony+and+his+tabby.jpg
Anthony Perkins, nd
EK+with+kits+by+GP-1.jpg
Earrrrrtha Kitt, 1952
Brando-and-cat-1955.jpg
brando-and-his-cat-1955-1.jpg
Marlon Brando, 1955

The above come from a now out-of-print book collection, Hollywood Cats. Gable, Perkins, and Brando are the only male stars among a hundred or so pictured.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
another nose to nose!!!

one last kitty poo (he he well kind of last) :D :D :D

this one with John Lennon which of course you have all seen before! :D
lennon.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
"Helen teaches "Hoot Mon" her Scottish terrier how to take proper pride in his personal appearance"

HMack_and_dog.jpg
:D

And you just know, at some point, this picture's going to show up somewhere with someone claiming she was taking a picture with her cell phone in the 30s/40s.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: HadleyH, Who is that handsome boy Joan is with? Even the 20s bathing suit can't hide his beautiful body...

23SkidooWithYou I adore frenchies too! and pugs! They make my heart skip every time <3

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
:eek:fftopic: HadleyH, Who is that handsome boy Joan is with? Even the 20s bathing suit can't hide his beautiful body...

:p cherry lips thats Douglas Fairbanks Jr. the husband of Joan Crawford at the time!

more Douglas for you! :D
3170902.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld