Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey, Where'd You Get That Hat?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Every so often someone approaches me while I'm wearing one of my fedoras, to find out got it. Two days ago, while on my way around the subway here is Los Angeles, someone came up to me asking where to get one like it. A while back, someone even waited for me to return to where I work just to find out. I even had to spell out the word "fedora" to them. Believe it or not, a lot of people don't know what it's called ;). Whether or not they are wearing a suit or jeans, I don't care. They like the hat. I recommend shops I've been to depending on the area I'm currently in. You never know where they might live.

I always feel proud to assist someone in finding this hat. It's disappointing to think of the scary prices of a new fedora that can turn off just about anyone who is money conscience. Sure they can go on eBay, sure there are stores that sell them for less, but you have to be determined to wear that hat. One look at that $50-$100 price tag, and we've lost another looker, and more than likely, they may not come back. I could be wrong, though.

Have you been approached by a possible future fedora wearer?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All or most of us probably have been approached at one time or another and asked about our hats. Like you, I'm glad to share the info. I mention the Lounge, some of the online vendors, and tell them where to look locally.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The only way to get a handle on the relative value of a hat is to compare it to the other items of clothing one wears. A rough rule is the hat should cost as much as the shoes, about half as much as a suit, more than a shirt and pants combo, maybe even as much as a good leather jacket. We seem to have forgotten, and many are reluctant to spend that on a "non-essential" item. But it pays off in looks!

I've been watching the Barrett-Jackson Automobile Auction, and am amazed at the number of baseball caps. Surely, if you can afford $150,000 for a car, you can afford $150 for a hat! :)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been watching the Barrett-Jackson Automobile Auction, and am amazed at the number of baseball caps. Surely, if you can afford $150,000 for a car, you can afford $150 for a hat!

Boy,you said a mouthful there JT. Isn't that the truth? :eusa_clap

Jfala

Familiar Face
I live in the Los Angeles area, West San Fernando Valley, and I am looking for my first Fedora. It's what I told my wife I would like for my birthday. Anyway, I am looking for a local retailer where I could try some hats on and see what looks good on my head. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Jeff

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Hollywood Hatters in Hollywood
Baron Hats in Burbank
Fedora Primo in Santa Monica
and World of Hats in Pasadena are the only retail stores I know of.

you could also try eBay or the merchant section here to find one online

Doh!

One Too Many
I second Hollywood Hatters (on Melrose, about a block east of La Brea). I've bought 6(!) hats there in only the past 2 years.

Fedora info.

This is a dilemma I face now and again also. Someone asks about my hat and I have to restrain my self from burying them under a deluge of information. Depending on the question I usually tell them to visit the Fedora Lounge dot com for the hat section as it will help them make a selection and find what they want. I may name a hat store or two if asked. As to what am I wearing it might be vintage or one of my Akubras and I will tell them what it is. If asked for a reccomendation I usually say get a furfelt Akubra as it is the best balance of quality and price in a modern hat I have seen. If the conversation goes further I'll usually advise them that the cost of a furfelt hat is outweighed by the benefit of a hat that can be cleaned and reblocked.

But a general check out the Fedora lounge online can be a great starting step.

Jfala

Familiar Face
Thank you all for your recommendations. I will definitely try out as many of the retailers as I can. Fedora Lounge looks like fun, with a wealth of info.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld