Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heres one for the Museum!

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
What some people write is unbelievable: "His final mission of the war ended in his tragic murder" (from the auction-text). What a BS, it was war, wasn't it, and they were, quote, on a "strafing mission". Not exactly throwing bubble-gum, did they?
But BOT, I could not think of buying such a jacket, size aside. It looks very bad, doesn't it? It might smell accordingly...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
First of all theres nothing cooler than a Worn old Ratty Jacket in my eyes, this ones a keeper!

Yes, I would not have used the word *murder* thats a harsh label to describe this particular Event, Given the war situation at the time, perhaps its something the seller doesnt fully understand and I forgive him for better lack of words, or the way he intended the use of the Term for whatever reason.

Before you Pooh-Pooh this Jacket for its condition, A P-51 Mustang was a snug ride, Im sure most of the wear came from long flights. Ironically Theres another recent thread posting of Jacket wear due to Seatbelts..Proving a jacket becomes more broken in while driving a car, The owner Here in this case Was strapped in to a metal crate with a parachute Rig on over 100 missions according to the information provided by the seller.

I think the value of the Peice comes from the amazing history or *provinence*

you cant put a price on true Provinence. first key selling point.

The second is the Artwork.

Since Im already prone to well-worn Jackets, the value of these factors overrides the physical condition for me at least. In this case the wear will increase the value slightly in my oppinion, but that is a rare exception.

I wouldnt be suprised if the seller paid under $500 and is flipping it for more than double.

If I had to put a Correct value on it, Theres a lot of factors need looking into.

Looks late war period.

Worn fleece.

Functionable. (Zippers, and leather is ok, a few wartime patches, buckles and so on check)

Unique Artwork!!! (looks like there was a squadron patch on the chest too)

Named to original owner with a history.

Cannot Do the smell check from here, but In my experiance I quite like the old Jacket smell, it could be ok, or sometimes it can be a little pungent.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket is a later War multi-panel Irvin jacket and may have been swapped by a member of the RAF. Painted examples are rare. This one is well worn and the price is fair IMO.

rus1980

Familiar Face
It seems pretty obvious that this jacket wasn't his favourite jacket when flying. I mean, he ended up crashing and never made it home. Whatever he was wearing that day is long gone (I would hate to think this jacket was the one he was wearing when he crashed.... and that is very unlikely). I can't make out the pictures, but is there a picture of him wearing this exact jacket? The provenance, is more interesting.. I would think.. If this is a jacket that he wore on his many decorated missions.. no? What evidence is there of that?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I was thinking that too. But I mean its not the mona lisa or something, Or someones Idea of pulling a fast one, could be a post war copy-cat Jacket made by an enthusiast. I was thinking theres a possibility of it not being totally authentic, but the 1944 date makes it period correct to the story since its a late war Irvin, and Yanks liked to swap their gear with the RAF.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
SOLD! Wow, didnt take long, SOMEONE sure thinks its authentic! good thing I saved the pics, I had a feeling it wasnt gonna be in the listing for much longer. I hate being Right all the time!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Another thing that Would sort of Authenticate it further is something Andrew has pointed out;

A *painted* Irvin is Super rare. Meaning it was not common Practice in the RAF during Wartime, at least not as common as was amongst American flight Crew. So the 8th AF Logo on the back of an Irvin is VERY Rare indeed, pretty much one of a kind.

The new owner is probly aware of this unique significance.

Its Very true you dont see Wartime Irvin Jackets with a paint job let alone one with an American one.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Another thing that Would sort of Authenticate it further is something Andrew has pointed out;

A *painted* Irvin is Super rare. Meaning it was not common Practice in the RAF during Wartime, at least not as common as was amongst American flight Crew. So the 8th AF Logo on the back of an Irvin is VERY Rare indeed, pretty much one of a kind.

The new owner is probly aware of this unique significance.

Its Very true you dont see Wartime Irvin Jackets with a paint job let alone one with an American one.

Whilst painted Irvins are rare they aren't quite hen's teeth.

What you do see is that they are very rare in the true British squadrons but less so in some Dominion and Allied Air Forces units. The majority of painted Irvins that I have seen have belonged to Canadians, Australians or Norwegians serving in RAF administered units.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Every once in a while I see one in a wartime photo somewhere. Have you got any pics of Canadians with Painted Irvins, I would love to see those!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Every once in a while I see one in a wartime photo somewhere. Have you got any pics of Canadians with Painted Irvins, I would love to see those!

I certainly do. Give me a day or two to dig something out for you (I've had to put a lot of my RAF books in storage as it had gotten out of hand and in the interests of domestic tranquillity).

Cheers,

Tim

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Heres the Pics in case you missed this one. :kiss:

Those two-tone Pannels are my favourite thing on it, great mottled Patina!!!

Attachments

• $T2eC16h,!ygFIkYEcRuFBSc!)Ip(nQ~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16h,!ygFIkYEcRuFBSc!)Ip(nQ~~60_3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 97
  • $T2eC16J,!yQFIjWItk3OBSc!)NRCVQ~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16J,!yQFIjWItk3OBSc!)NRCVQ~~60_3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 104
  • $T2eC16R,!)gFIgi3m7WCBSc!)UoCH!~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16R,!)gFIgi3m7WCBSc!)UoCH!~~60_3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 101
  • $T2eC16d,!)8FJkGwmm(NBSc!)WDwJQ~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16d,!)8FJkGwmm(NBSc!)WDwJQ~~60_3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 101
  • $(KGrHqV,!k0FJ,ukpB5!BSc!)Ok8iQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!k0FJ,ukpB5!BSc!)Ok8iQ~~60_3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 102
  • $(KGrHqN,!nsFJvmwg2q4BSc!)T,mf!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!nsFJvmwg2q4BSc!)T,mf!~~60_3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 95
  • $(KGrHqJ,!loFErfs0ZojBSc!)Lyv+!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!loFErfs0ZojBSc!)Lyv+!~~60_3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
He is not wearing the Irvin in any of those photos. He has an A2 in bottom and a B10 in right, and it looks like a A2 in the right photo! He is seated in a P-38 in the bottom photo, they were notoriously cold, and having sat in one, more then enough room for a Irvin. The P-51, would be tight, and with the Merlin in front of you, much warmer, then no engine like the P-38.

winterland1

Practically Family
Very cool. If the story is all true, the jacket being his, even cooler. Too bad they didn't have a pic of him with the jacket on.
Too bad someone didn't give the jacket some conditioning over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld