Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here is my first conversion attempt

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Submitted for constructive feedback, here is my first attempt at a conversion.

It is a Bailey that started as such.

BaileyBefore1.jpg

I cut 1 inch off the brim so it now measures 2 1/2 inches. I decided to try something a little different on the ribbon treatment (which I previously posted in another thread). Here are some shots of the finished product.

Picture009.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
RJC, I am not sure if my comments would be called constructive. I like the dark green ribbon on the hat. It is a visually appealing contrast. The light green is not so much my cup of tea, so to speak. You have done a nice job of cutting it down, just a bit more steam should smooth out the forward dents. All in all I think you have done well for yourself.
Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent job.....

Just a suggestion, you might want to tack down the bow on the corners, they seem to pucker out a bit....other than that, you did a Fantastic job. I love the 2-tone bow treatment, looks great. :eusa_clap

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I do like it, RJCNTX. I think the contrasting bow adds a nice touch to it.

One thing you might do is to tack down the loose ends of the bow with matching thread so they don't go blowing in the wind. One tack in each corner would do the job.

Nice first conversion!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One slight thing - and maybe it's just to my eye, but it looks like the ribbon should be slightly further down the crown, right against the brim - it looks like it's up maybe 1/8"-1/4" or so. Maybe one little tack stitch front, back and either side to hold it down in place.

But overall, it's a great job and a great looking hat!

carter

I'll Lock Up
That is a very nice conversion. Actually one of the best I've seen posted. Great ribbon treatment and the bow is outstanding.
I can see where the sewing comments would help but this is still a wonderful job.
Is the color actaully a winter white or is it something darker?

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the comments. The bow is going to be tacked down right after I make a run back to the store. Can you believe the only color thread I bought was the dark green color?!?! :eek:

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
carter said:
That is a very nice conversion. Actually one of the best I've seen posted. Great ribbon treatment and the bow is outstanding.
I can see where the sewing comments would help but this is still a wonderful job.
Is the color actaully a winter white or is it something darker?

Thanks for the kind comments. If you look at the picture showing the top of the hat, that is the closest to the true color. It is a light gray color.

Bob

Flieger

Practically Family
I just can't belive it's the same hat as in the first picture! :eek: Amazing transformation! :eusa_clap I'm awed and inspired!

/F

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Very nice. I know I really like my Bailey western conversion (come on over to the conversion corral). It's my favorite hat now.

Hey, where did you get that ribbon? All I have been able to find is sawtooth ribbon, I really need to find some smooth edge ribbon.

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Fatdutchman said:
Very nice. I know I really like my Bailey western conversion (come on over to the conversion corral). It's my favorite hat now.

Hey, where did you get that ribbon? All I have been able to find is sawtooth ribbon, I really need to find some smooth edge ribbon.

I found the ribbons at Jo Ann Fabrics and Crafts. They are Offray ribbons. Jo Ann had a range of greens and blues. I opted for the greens this time.

Let me know if you don't have one near you, I can pick some up for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld