Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with choosing a leather jacket

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
This thread makes my head hurt.

Worf

Then, I apologize, and I apologize to anyone who feels similarly.

I really don't understand what the problem is though.

I've said from the start I don't necessarily want a vintage design.

There are elements of fashion or mall jackets that I like and would want incorporated.

I want to go with a company like Aero or AL or Johnson because of the higher quality, that's it.

---

All I'm asking for is some input on the things I want to add would work well or not.

Whether or not a jacket looks good is largely a subjective thing, but I figure at the least I could avoid making some kind of major fashion mistake I'm not aware off...

It's not hard....vintage stuff is the fixation here, and I said from the start I didn't want to limit myself to vintage styles.

I don't see the point....but that's me.

Would you go to a Harley-Davidson forum to get advice on spec'ing out a custom Ducati-style scoot?
It'd be like me going to a Dressage forum to pick their brains about building a saddle for riding a reining horse...but that's me.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Would you go to a Harley-Davidson forum to get advice on spec'ing out a custom Ducati-style scoot?
It'd be like me going to a Dressage forum to pick their brains about building a saddle for riding a reining horse...but that's me.

Yeah, that's an extremely fair point.

When I joined the forum I had not realized that the fixation was on vintage stuff. I should have, since it's obvious...but I didn't at the time.

I found the forum through goggling and reading through threads and saw a wealth of valuable information and knowledgeable and friendly community members, who I wanted to ask for input.

So far, I've found that. I've received a lot of useful info and advice, which I really appreciate.'

I hope that I'm not being a pain by asking these questions, and hope to share pictures of the jacket I end up getting.

This thread has a 'never ending' vibe to it. ' No I don't like that classic style'. 'I like this cheaper looking pattern..but made of better top quality'. 'Now lets go over again(with that in mind) all the details of just what I should do to make me happy'. [huh]
HD

wdw

One Too Many
It reminds me of the many Aero modification threads before the change.

The obvious answer is to simply approach AL as they're most likely to accommodate the desires of the OP.

Feraud

Bartender
Yeah, that's an extremely fair point.

When I joined the forum I had not realized that the fixation was on vintage stuff. I should have, since it's obvious...but I didn't at the time.

I found the forum through goggling and reading through threads and saw a wealth of valuable information and knowledgeable and friendly community members, who I wanted to ask for input.

So far, I've found that. I've received a lot of useful info and advice, which I really appreciate.'

I hope that I'm not being a pain by asking these questions, and hope to share pictures of the jacket I end up getting.

Nothing wrong with asking questions. This is the place to learn what makes a quality leather jacket.

Most of the members here are vintage oriented in style. After the discussion of hide quality, finish, construction, companies, etc. is finished it is always up to the individual to select the style.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Nothing wrong with asking questions. This is the place to learn what makes a quality leather jacket.

Most of the members here are vintage oriented in style. After the discussion of hide quality, finish, construction, companies, etc. is finished it is always up to the individual to select the style.

I'm starting to get the feeling that people are getting frustrated with the questions I'm asking, because I want to modify a vintage style.

I didn't think asking questions like if a front yoke and back yoke can be placed at the same time, or if a certain stitching pattern would go well with a certain style would be a problem, but modifying a vintage style in this way seems to offend some people.

I don't want to be unwelcome or considered a nuisance on the forums, so I'll try and reduce the questions I'm asking.

This thread has a 'never ending' vibe to it. ' No I don't like that classic style'. 'I like this cheaper looking pattern..but made of better top quality'. 'Now lets go over again(with that in mind) all the details of just what I should do to make me happy'. [huh]
HD

[huh] Indeed.

I think I've been pretty consistent in asking advice and elaborating on what I want.

There are a few features of jackets that I like, that I want incorporated into my new jacket, while at the same time removing features I don't like.

I didn't think asking for input on those decisions would be such a problem.

And no, the patterns I like are not "cheaper looking", they are simply not vintage.

But, look. If this thread annoys you, or my questions annoy you, then stop reading it.

Wouldn't that be the simplest thing?

Last edited:
I'm starting to get the feeling that people are getting frustrated with the questions I'm asking, because I want to modify a vintage style....
I don't think it is that but that the style points you ask about "working" are style points contrary to the vintage nature of this forum.
As you noted, the latest style jacket talked about around here is 50's HalfBelt with lots of preferences around 30's & some for the 20's.
Folks have done the same thing in the Hat threads, where the focus is on tall crown, straight sided, wider brimmed hats where more modern styles are low crowned, tapered, stingier brims.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I don't think it is that but that the style points you ask about "working" are style points contrary to the vintage nature of this forum.
As you noted, the latest style jacket talked about around here is 50's HalfBelt with lots of preferences around 30's & some for the 20's.
Folks have done the same thing in the Hat threads, where the focus is on tall crown, straight sided, wider brimmed hats where more modern styles are low crowned, tapered, stingier brims.

Well....that's why I was asking, and trying to see clarification.

I don't have any knowledge about vintage styles and such, and am looking for tweaks I can make to a style that will be consistent, with that style.

For example, the jacket Leo wears in Inception...I would have thought was a type of vintage jacket.

Yet asking if I could incorporate elements from that design into the arkansas jacket didn't exactly get positive responses...

I guess I'm not really aware of where the line is crosses when tweaking a vintage design...

klist

New in Town
I am a newer 'nooby' than the OP here and am appreciative of the passion you all have in this forum for functional authenticity. So much so, I purchased my first jacket, a Highwayman, in 2010 based on the input from countless searches and a very impassioned group of enthusiasts. I have been very pleased with my jacket and only recently came back the forum to consider a lighter weight jacket to extend my wearing season in temperate SoCal. The first half of this thread was highly informative but the last few pages have lost me. MJ, good luck designing your jacket. Here's to hoping that my next and your first will look nothing alike...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The cording on Hugh Jackman's jacket is similar to that of the Hercules-style - both Aero and AL do it. Certainly, Aero made one or more of the Inception jackets.
To be honest, I think a slim Highwayman style stripped of its breast pocket and with plain cuffs might be what you want.
I'm sure AL would be willing to add a Western-style yoke to the front, but I think they would be able to advise best on inside pockets. I would beware of mixing too many style features up though, as you could end up with a dog's dinner of a jacket.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
The cording on Hugh Jackman's jacket is similar to that of the Hercules-style - both Aero and AL do it. Certainly, Aero made one or more of the Inception jackets.
To be honest, I think a slim Highwayman style stripped of its breast pocket and with plain cuffs might be what you want.
I'm sure AL would be willing to add a Western-style yoke to the front, but I think they would be able to advise best on inside pockets. I would beware of mixing too many style features up though, as you could end up with a dog's dinner of a jacket.

Thank you, I really do appreciate the input I've been getting here.

For exampling, I just learned the term cording :)

I have spoken to AL to get advice on the inside pocket issue, as well as some other concerns I have.

I was going with the Arkansas because others in the thread had suggested a halfbelt was close to what I wanted.

Is the main difference between a highwayman and a halfbelt that the halfbellt is slimmer, and well, has a halfbelt?

In your personal opinion (I'm also interested of the opinion of anyone who wants to join in), is adding cording and/or a yoke (western or plain) to either a highwayman or a halfbelt a bad idea, for any reason?

Like you say, I don't want to end up with a dogs dinner of a jacket.

Again, thank you.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Aeros.....Highwayman= boxy cut : 50s halfbelt= quite boxy: 30s halfbelt =not boxy.

and really MJ, don't worry about cording or not cording or getting "a dog's dinner"...as long as you like it and the people you know think it's cool, and it lasts a thousand years..what the hell ? It's just a jacket ...stop worrying.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe