Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on choosing a hat

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have got several fedoras now. I am satisfied with the look of most of them, but not the quality. My best one is a Stetson Chatham in carribou (medium grey with black band) but the quality is debatable. I would really like one hat for everything, mainly as a dress hat and as a waterproof hat.

Basically, the hat I am looking for must have the following qualities:
Colour: medium grey with a black grosgrain band with bow (not too thin, maximum 2")
Brim: between 2 3/8" and 3" snap brim
Crown: preferably open crown at least 5" (or the same when creases are popped out)
Felt: must be waterproof or at least able to withstand water, preferably soft
Edge: I'm not picky whether finished or raw
Price: up to $300 if all the qualities are met

Basically, something looking a bit like a Bogart hat, tailored to fit my specifications.

I know a vintage hat would be ideal, but I could be searching for the rest of my life. I have heard that Akubras are good, but I would like to hear this directly. Otherwise, are there any good custom hatter, maybe even where I live (in the UK)?

Does anyone know of a good hat which has all of these qualities?

Thanks
Alan

D

demian

Hello:

I suggest you use the search option above.

However, as I know well how daunting it can be entering the world of fine hats, I will take pity on you for such a silly post! (grin)

If there is anything the world of fine art has taught me, it is that 1 good thing = 20 crap things....

Goto Art Fawcett and/or take a look at the classifieds where there is a kind and genuine fellow selling his Optimo hats.

Depending on your size, this may be all you could desire with immediacy to boot. Optimo can resize it efficiently and reasonably.

Otherwise, you cannot beat a vintage Borsalino.

Having walked down this garden path, you cannot want for more than this.

Kind regards

StylinLA

Familiar Face
I'm a newbie here and others will weigh in I'm sure, but it sounds to me like you should get in line with Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes, or one of the other custom hat makers constantly referenced in the Lounge.

If you're into hats, you owe it to yourself to push for the best you can afford I say. It makes a difference. While awaiting some custom hats from VS, I bought an Optimo and the quality shows. People will notice the difference.

I've seen several of Art's hats in the flesh and they're fantastic.

You're pretty specific about what you want and it might be tricky to find in an off the shelf hat. The custom hats take time, but you'll get exactly what you have in mind.

But ya gotta be patient. I'm an impulse shopper and it's killing me....

billyspew

One Too Many
I'd go for an Art if you can afford it.
I've have not as yet found a custom hatter in the UK.

A Christys Adventurer would perfectly fit the specs you stated (brim is about 2 5/8" on the side and 3" at the front and back, and it has a high open crown). If you're in/near London you can go and try one on.

If you can stretch go cheap for the Christys and then order a Art.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have contacted Art Fawcett and he gave me a very helpful reply. I am just wondering if these hats are truly waterproof. I need to be 100% sure, as this is a lot of money. Could someone who owns Art Fawcett-made hats say if they are as good as I need?

Thanks

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe