Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me I'm drowning! In Hats!

GWD

One Too Many
I've looked at some old post here about this subject but most of the links are broken so please forgive me as this has been done before but I'm sure you guys have come up with some great ideas.

I'm a fairly new member here, only 4 months, but in those four months I've acquired a fairly large sum of hats. J.T. inspired me with his wall-o-hats picture today and I would like to see how you all either store or display your collections.

Please post pictures!

Thanks,

Gary

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
I've looked at some old post here about this subject but most of the links are broken so please forgive me as this has been done before but I'm sure you guys have come up with some great ideas.

I'm a fairly new member here, only 4 months, but in those four months I've acquired a fairly large sum of hats. J.T. inspired me with his wall-o-hats picture today and I would like to see how you all either store or display your collections.

Please post pictures!

Thanks,

Gary

My plan isn't working. Hat boxes stacked on a dresser and the boxless hats on top of it all. I'm up for suggestions too[huh] :D

freebird

Practically Family
I acquired a all metal hall tree from the plant when they shut the doors, and have been using that, or more often than not, the top of my flat screen tv. The front and back of the hat hangs off so the "dip" doesn't go flat.

In boxes, for the most part. Vintage ones, for the most part. Got another of those oval Stetson boxes -- the olive green and red ones that hold three hats, with the inserts -- just last Friday. Got half a dozen of those now, and that's just scratching the surface. I don't know that my wife would be so tolerant of my ever-expanding hat collection if the box collection weren't expanding right along with it.

What's most critical to me is that the hats be stored in a way that is the least likely to lead to damage. That means protected from the likeliest causes -- dust, daylight, bugs and mildew. Out here in the Caverns, where moss grows on just about anything that doesn't move, insects aren't as big a problem as they are in other locales, but mildew may well be a greater one. Woe be to the Wet Side of the Cascade Mountains resident who stores his hats (and coats and shoes and ... ) in that unheated spare bedroom.

What I really want is built-in cabinets with sliding doors made of museum glass, and shelves made of some sort of rods that would allow for brims to overhang and air to circulate. In my dreams, maybe ...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A shelf or two running the length of the entire room just below the ceiling's one way I've used before. It was above a big window, and made use of some unused space, and the other plus being since it was above the window, I didn't have to worry about UV or sunlight damaging the hats. The same idea in a walk-in closet works well. That's what I'm doing now - and one of the summer "to do" list items is redoing the shelves - too much wasted space between the shelves, and not quite as deep as I'd like. Storage boxes slid under the bed works. Hat hooks in various styles and price ranges can be found at Target or Restoration Hardware. As others mentioned - a hall tree or two work well. And as you mentioned, JT Marcus is one that has a great display, covering the entire wall of one room that's the envy or inspiration of many.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
A shelf or two running the length of the entire room just below the ceiling's one way I've used before. It was above a big window, and made use of some unused space, and the other plus being since it was above the window, I didn't have to worry about UV or sunlight damaging the hats. The same idea in a walk-in closet works well. That's what I'm doing now - and one of the summer "to do" list items is redoing the shelves - too much wasted space between the shelves,

I have put shelves like these in my walk-in closets and they are really a good way to have your hats handy and still out of the way.

Stoney

Practically Family
Here is a link to a previous discussion

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=465&highlight=rackshttp://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=465&highlight=racks

I just picked up 36 coat and hat hooks from Lowes web order-store pickup
for $1.19 each. I'm planning a wall similar to JT's Wall O Hats.
I'll still keep my best in the boxes but the everyday lids will go on the hooks.

This is the info on the hooks.
078555776879md.jpg

Belwith/Hickory Hardware 5/8" C/C White Hook
Item #89226 Model #P27120-W

Go to the bottom of this page.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=24&Ntt=89226&Ntk=i_products&category=Hook&N=0+4294960883

They are still available at this price as long as you order via the web and pickup at the store. However if you walk into the store to buy them they are over $3.00 each. [huh] It makes no sense to me but that's the deal. Oh yeah...they are also available in satin, black and brass finishes at the same price.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
GWD,
I have a storage facility here in NJ. I can help you out!
Since you are a different size than me you won't have to worry....oh wait...ummmmm
:) :) ;)

Bingles

A-List Customer
I hang mine on hooks, though I do have some hat stands I bought on ebay.

If you ever find that you have too many GWD, I'd be happy to take one or two off your hands. I think we share the same hat size. ;) :p

MAB1

Suspended
I strategically stack them on the back of a hidabed, against the wall.

Trust me. There is a way to do it right. Just don't put flimsy straws on the bottom. :D

It can help shape crowns for taper. I don't care who wants to believe or not.

Works for me. :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Some are hanging on hooks...

Some are stacked - yes stacked :eek: - in a closet...

And some are on various 'hat stands' around my study...

See here:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/HatPix/

Note the cardboard ring spacers so hats do not crush down on each other. I get them from a local store that sells cheap hats but gives me the rings that have rolled edges so they don't crease.

Also know that I have the advantage of a house with an attic. All but two of my hat boxes are up there. I store the boxes NOT the hats. I like to keep my hats where I can see them and grab them and wear them. To me storing them in boxes was something their previous owners did (the ones who "only wore it once or twice") in order to preserve them for me to use and abuse and look at and enjoy! :D

If I didn't have an attic I would rent a small storage unit, no kiddin,' and keep the boxes there.

G'luck!

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
I really like those Fender Hat racks! I have a couple of Martin racks myself.

Expensive hat racks, but I do like them!
*Looks over to my Fenders hanging on the family room wall*

Edit for P.S.- GWD, throw me one of those whippets and I'll throw you a life preserver. Deal?

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
I actually bought museum quality glass that protects things from sun and etc. and used that to replace glass on a large cabinet that can sore about 50 hats and accessories or other things. It was expensive but I love it. Not only does it store them properly but it also is perfect for showing them off.

GWD

One Too Many
MDphoto said:
Expensive hat racks, but I do like them!
*Looks over to my Fenders hanging on the family room wall*

Edit for P.S.- GWD, throw me one of those whippets and I'll throw you a life preserver. Deal?

Nah, I'll take my chances! lol

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Most of the major hat topics have been covered over and over, if you take a look at the sticky at the top of the page links are provided
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28658

Here is a link to hat storage. Read and enjoy.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=465

GWD said:

Please post pictures!

Thanks,

Gary

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
No one was yelling, just pointing you to a source for your questions. The search function leave much to be desired, so Alan was kind enough to compile a list of most often asked questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld