Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me identify this black DB jacket - Merchant Marine?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I found this black twill DB jacket at the thrift shop a couple of days ago and bought it because I really liked the buttons. It also fits me perfectly. From the label it appears to be some sort of official issue jacket and I don't want to wear it until I know what it is and whether or not it's appropriate to wear.

jacketDBblack3.JPG

jacketDBblack6.JPG

jacketDBblack5.JPG

The text on the label reads:

P & J CLAYMAN INC
coat, man's, s.d., black, fwwt, gen
840D.21.899.0203
SIZE % wool 35% polyester
February 1960

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
They have racks of those down at the local army-navy shop, all from the '80s- early '90s, labels looked the same as yours. Good heavyweight material, from the feel, fooled me into thinking they were earlier from the way the fabric felt.

And are you sure that says February 1960? I'm seeing 1980? The polyester content, the style of the label, and the washing instructions would seem to go along with a date later than 1960.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I have a U.S. Navy one just like that from the '30s/'40s that was turned into a yachting suit. Definitely swap out the buttons and wear in good health!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Excellent suggestion, guys - why didn't I think of that? While the brass buttons are really nifty, I like the jacket even better and, as you say, with other buttons it would be eminently wearable for more occasions than it would with the original buttons. I'm going to try to find suitable buttons that have a post or loop on the back so I can use the existing removable button system. Interestingly, the holes for attaching the buttons are tiny, bound slits rather than round holes so those brass buttons stay properly oriented and upright at all times.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
It looks to me that what you have there is a Canadian Forces issue Navy dress uniform jacket. I used to be in the Canadian Army and on Armistice Day we used to try to pick up the Navy women, so honestly I was always more interested in what was inside the jacket than the jacket itself.:p Nice jacket though.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Classic style but I doubt any official purpose other than perhaps some civilian role. Anything more formal would surely have had provision for greater adornment so beloved of uniformed organisations.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I checked mine over carefully and can't find any signs of it ever having had insignia sewn/pinned on. It's definitely been worn, though not excessively. The buttons are pristine and look as if they're newer than the jacket. Really beautiful buttons - finely detailed and gold plated, rather than plain polished brass. Might make nice cufflinks...

The more I look at the cut of this jacket, the more I like it. Once I find the right buttons to demilitarize it, I'll post before and after photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld