Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me identify a motorcycle leather jacket

1gnition

New in Town
Hello, I am new here.

There is this Brando style leather jacket and I don't know the manufacturer, the model and year. If you can identify one of those it would be great.

a.jpg

Edward

Bartender
YKK zips with those square pullers must put a certain date on it - I'm sure someone here will know that. The design on the press studs looks pretty distinctive too - maybe a clear close up of that might help?

1gnition

New in Town
You can close up if you'd like, but I cannot supply a better resolution because it is scanned from a CD album booklet.

So this is the best we have.

The football arm pits, the shape of the cigarette pocket and the small collar doesn't suggest a Schott?

Edward

Bartender
It's clearly based on the standard Schott Perfecto style, though i don't know the significant details fo that well enough to call this one either way. The design on the studs doesn't ring true as schott to me for some reason... though the relatively high gore of the left lapel (I hope my terminology is right here!) is something I associated with Schott much more so than others with which I am familiar. The YKK zip I would see as out of place. Of course, it could be a replacement, and I don't claim to have extensive knowledge of Schott hardware, but every Perfecto I've ever seen carried this style of zip (see chest pocket, the one with the little loop in it):

schott.jpg

What looks to be a leather facing on the bottom few inches of the inner back- I'm not sure if that's a feature of the Schott Perfecto? Can't find a picture of one online anywhere. The lining certainly doesn't look like the typical quilted black nylon you see in the typical Schott at least since the 70s, but that could have been redone (for that matter, a non-original inner leather panel could have been added too).

My gut instinct says it's a jacket 'heavily inspired' by the Schott, rather than an actual Schott. I'm certain if we could see that logo clearly on the snaps that'd be the giveaway. For sure, I've never seen a Schott with anything other than plain, smoothe snaps, but that doesn't mean it never happened...

What's the album? If that specific jacket (as opposed to many jackets of that generic style, a la Joey Ramone) is strongly associated with the artists in question, that might open up a further line of enquiry you could pursue....

1gnition

New in Town
You are right.

The problematic things are the designs on the snap buttons which do not associate with Schott. Also the belt loops don't look like Schott's because they have their own snap buttons.

I posted a question in Schott's forums. I will also try to contact with the label which released this album, maybe they know what kind of jacket it is.

I will update you upon new information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe