Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me figure what uniform's branch it came from

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My first impulse was Marine Corps, but it's to light a blue, and the USMC dress tunic has pockets. Next, the trousers are designed to be worn with high boots, I suspect. And they're red with blue stripe. All of which makes me think it's not military at all, at least not American.
Maybe French? I'm even thinking maybe marching band. Where did you get it? Can you show more pics? Like maybe the label?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Barchetta52 said:
Might be Salvation Army. The colors and collar are correct.

The tunic is certainly similar to the SA tunics of the time, but I believe them to be a darker blue, at least as dark as the USMC, even more of a Navy. At that time and still today TSA typically has matching color pants and skirts to the tunics. But you are certainly right with the collar.

Matt

Clarke

New in Town
More pixs and details

Thanks for all your help! Here's some more details (pixs link below)

Double checked the tag, says "R. Arabian."

Buttons are U.S. with presidential eagle. Made by Ashendorf Newark, NJ

The tunic has brass belt holders in the back, which I thought were USMC.

The uniform could be mismatched with Zouave-like trousers and
an old tunic from way back when.

Trow is button fly front with insider buttons for suspenders. Has back pockets
and change pocket in front.

The label is also there as a very short film clip!

Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/573386206dmcOvZ?vhost=community

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well in light of the button information and the new pictures which show a much darker blue (is that a white balance/lighting issue with your camera?) I am inclined to believe it to be a formal dress uniform of the Army. I have to check my books.

Matt

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The trousers really threw me. Post-American Civil War zouave? Ceremonial uniform? Interesting piece of history, whatever it is.

anon`

One Too Many
90% certain it's an Army (US, of course) field uniform, probably ca 1885-1895 or so. It belonged to an enlisted man in the artillery (evidenced by the red piping; infantry and cavalry would be light blue and yellow, respectively).

In 1902, this basic uniform became the enlisted man's full dress tunic, and the cuffs were changed somewhat. They gained these slanting stripes that might've been an early form of service stripes. Uniforms of this period seem to be little known, likely because they never really saw any action in a major military conflict.

For comparison, this is me wearing my great-grandfather's 1902-pattern full dress tunic. This is very similar to the field tunic that was in use in the decade or so prior. Yes, I know it's too small. Photo is for illustrative purposes only ;)

DSCN1847.JPG

It's also worth noting that, until WWI, the Army might've said "wear this like so" but very often local units would take liberties with the "official" uniform to suit local or unit tastes. While this still goes on today, it was exceedingly common back then. Thus, it isn't uncommon at all to find a uniform that just "doesn't look quite right", and when you do, chances are it isn't quite right because the original owner didn't bother with protocol when it was made.

EDIT~ Somehow missed the date. If that's accurate, then probably a band or cadet uniform of some sort. Possibly some kind of a reproduction, if that sort of thing wasn't unheard of back then? Still, the garment itself is consistent in style and colour with an Army uniform from the end of the 19th century.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
I honestly have no idea. I don't think it is any branch of the US military and I am also pretty certain it isn't a state militia uniform because the buttons would be state crests not U.S. federal eagles. So my guess, and it is purely a guess, is that it is very likely a band uniform. Marching and brass bands where very popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and they tended to wear uniforms loosely based on military styles. Every town had one and larger cities had a multitude of them so there are countless numbers of military style uniforms out there. So just based on the odds I'm betting on a band uniform.

I'm sure we have some uniform experts in the lounge that can tell by the cut and maker its origin. A great puzzler, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Here's a long thread on military uniforms:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35549

I don't think it covers the early 1900s, but you might find someone in the thread you could PM. The thread has lots of interesting information on uniforms.

Just a few things I noted looking at the jacket: it has five buttons, whereas anon's jacket has six; I don't know if that matters. I don't see any needle marks where insignias might have been sewn on. And it looks too well made to be a costume, I think.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Clarke said:
Double checked the tag, says "R. Arabian."

The uniform could be mismatched with Zouave-like trousers and
an old tunic from way back when.

Hmm.. Could that date be 1966? 1939? or 1925?

Could it be one of the Beau Geste movie costumes?

A French Foreign Legion tunic for a Sergeant Markoff type? (In all versions, the troops wore double breasted greatcoats over khaki blouse and trousers - but look at the BN Major and SGT Markoff, below)
briandonlevy.jpg

www.geocities.com/cinemorgue2/briandonlevy.html

Note that US blue tunics generally had seven buttons, this has five.

Note also that the Marty Feldman version had a Zouave look (blue tunic, red trousers) to them -
beaugeste2.jpg

hollywoodmoviecostumes.com/index.php?cPath=27
... but they were seven buttoned. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe