Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date this hat?

KCE

New in Town
I picked this hat up at an antique store. The crown was squished all to hell, so I had it reblocked, so the original pinch was tighter, but the band is original. Anyone care to venture a guess as to its age?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Similar price tag... Lower Price

Here is an example of a very similar hat, with a $10.00 price tag.

C0000228983_3.jpg

I agree with J.T. that your hat is definitely post-1950, but I think the $12.50 price may be due to the "Silver Label" quality of your hat. I have seen $10.00 Lee hats, but they are "Blue Label" quality.

I think the Lounge experts will tell you $12.50 is a standard price for a higher-quality hat from the mid 1950's.

Does your hat have a style marking in the front of the sweatband? It should be stamped in gold lettering.

Also, it looks like you might have a Cav Edge. Do you see any stitching along the top of the edge?

metropd

One Too Many
The hat is most likley from the mid 1950's

Very nice hat. You would look much better if you reput the intial tight pinch, it will fit your bone structure nicely.;)

KCE

New in Town
Thank you all for your replies. The hat doesn't have a style marking in the front of the sweatband, just the price tag and the "Long Oval" designation. And please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Cav edge?" The edge of the brim is definitely bound, but there doesn't appear to be any visible stitching.

As to the pinch, I think I will put the tight pinch back in, because this hat, as it looks now, is almost identical to my Stetson Chatham (see avatar), except the band on the Lee is grey instead of black, and the brim of the Stetson is not bound. Of course, the felt of the Lee is much nicer.

Here is a pic of me wearing the hat in the lobby of the Montvale Hotel, Spokane's oldest hotel:

mingoslim

Practically Family
I am with the majority . . .

I would guess mid to late 50s . . . And perhaps top of the line.
I have seen blue labels and black labels, but never a silver label before . . .
It is one sharp hat . . . I have a Lee from the same period and love it . . . So wear it in good health. I think you must ahve gotten a great deal!

KCE

New in Town
tonyb said:
Nice hat there, KCE.

Just curious ... Where'd you have it reblocked? Someone local over on your side of the hill? Or did it have to travel some?

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to find a hattery here in Spokane. He mainly focuses on western hats and gear, but he has a fair selection of fedoras as well. If you ever make it over to Spokane, I highly recommend visiting. Here is the address and number, as well as an article about the shop:

Wolfs Hattery & Mercantile
2617 W Northwest Blvd
Spokane, WA 99205
(509) 327-7159

http://www.spokanejournal.com/index.php?id=article&sub=285&keyword=

Well, that story is eight years old, so it appears that he's made a go of it, eh? Good for him.

Yeah, I can see how a person who wishes to maintain a regular retail operation (as well as a hat-refurbishing biz) might want to lean toward the cowboy stuff. There's a steady, reliable demand for the Western gear. And some of those cowboys (and wannabes) are willing to spend large sums on their hats and boots and whatnot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe