Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying a WWII picture

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I was hoping for some help in identifying this picture. I have looked everywhere on the net and in several books but I am unable to find out who these guys are. I found the picture at a Ruby Tuesdays restaurant that was remodeling and going to throw it out. The manager had no idea where it was purchased or any info about it.
I do know that the aircraft is a SBD Dauntless and the pilots are more than likely Navy not USMC. They are all wearing ID bracelets, I am assuming instead of dog tags. They all appear to be Ensigns or Lieutenant Junior Grades. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

DSCF2842.jpg
DSCF2843.jpg

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
That makes sense

Now that you mention it Locobuster, it seems obvious, that is something that I never thought of. The gear they are wearing seems pretty new and they look fresh out of training. It must be a training squadron picture. Now, I am just wondering how and why this particular picture was enlarged to poster size and hung up at a national chain restaurant. Like I stated earlier, I looked all over the net for this picture and in several books and was unable to find it.

Flieger

Practically Family
That is a lovely photo and I wouldn't mind having one just like it. However, It will probably be very hard to make a positive ID on it unless you happen to find someone who is in it or knows one of the guys in it. There must be 1000's of photos just like it out there.

Is it possible to make out any of the names on the jackets? If it does, it might be one way to make further research.

Good luck!

Flieger

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I may never know

I have tried to read the names on the name tags but they are either blurred or worn off. I can make a partial name off of one and it looks like W.C. Tietjen. He is the guy fifth from the left. The back of the photo has no info on it. Not even the company that produced it. I even tried contacting the company that did the interior design for the restaurant and they didn’t have any info either. You are right Flieger, their must be 1000’s of photos out their like this one. However, why was this one enlarged and made into a poster then framed and why can I not find a reprint anywhere? This is a great picture and I am glad I saved it from a dumpster but it holds so much mystery. I often sit and think who were these guys and what were their lives like and what ever happened to them.

Flieger

Practically Family
If I where you, I'd post this photo on a couple of the websites that deal with aviation history. There are many guys out there that are very good at identifying things like this. It's a long shot but you might be able to find more pieces of the puzzle. I've seen harder nuts then this one cracked when people are willing to help.

/F

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Thanks

I have done that and I am hoping for a little more info. Who knows maybe one of the guys from the picture will see it and say "Hey, thats me!" I've seen stranger things happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe