Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello!

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
Hi everyone,
It is so great to have found a forum such as this to talk about hats! Of course, I know next to nothing about hats, just what I've been able to pick up from poking around the site for the past while. So I am looking to get my first 'smooth lid,' as the guys at work would say. The straight sided fedora, as exemplified by the Akubra Federation, seems like a winner, but its so hard to know for sure. There is no hat stores in my area that I know of, so being able to try something on is impossible. I have even considered making a model out of construction paper to get an idea of what it would look like. But I think asking of the collected wisdom of the Lounge will be very helpful as well. I stand about 5' 10", weigh about 200 lbs, and currently sport a goatee. Would the Akubra Federation IV (deluxe) be a good fit for me? I do not wish to emulate the venerable Indy, really, really not. I just like the old hats, even though they are tied to a silly movie. I wonder especially about the high crown. Will it be too 'theatrical'?

billyspew

One Too Many
Hi,

I think it sounds like a fine choice, do what I've been doing and have a look at the "What hat are you wearing today" and the "Post new hats here" threads and have a look at some of the federation IV's posted and you'll see there's a wide variety of face and body shapes wearing it.

Cheers,

Bill

RBH

Bartender
Welcome steppenwolph !
I suggest you also look at the Campdraft....
As most here know I love the Akubra Campdraft, but I also have a Federation and 2 Adventuerbilts [the last a Crystal Skull fedora].
They are great hats, but the Campdraft will fit the bill for a tall crown fedora that is easy to crease.
I do not know about the Federation IV, but if it is anything thing like other Akubra models you will have a great hat.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome steppenwolph...I'm with RBH...The Camp Draft is a great start...so would the Fed for that matter. For the price you can't go wrong. Once you get one, you'll be more comfortable. Aarons Hats may be closer to you than anything else I can think of.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
You don't have to give the Fed an Indy bash. It'll take any 1930s or 1940s shape. Give it a diamond or a c-crown. It's still a great hat, and you don't have to look like Indy. Go for Bogie instead, and you can still do that with a Fed.

If you have a small head (Size 7 or smaller) you can get great deals on vintage, otherwise the Fed is hard to beat. Campdrafts are great too.

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
good suggestions, all

I have looked at other hat makers besides Akubra, but the price/value combination of Akubra is just too good. My wife is already rolling her eyes at my new obsession, and an Akubra from hatsdirect really is the limit of what I can do right now. There is a thread discussing non-Indy bashes for the federation which I shall be looking over very closely. Vintage hats and even a custom lid are all in the future, with any good luck at all. I'd love one from the famed Art Fawcett, especially a beaver fur one. My wife though would fall down laughing if I told her I was wearing beaver fur. She's just that kind of gal.

Neil

A-List Customer
Fed Deluxe 4

I bought a fed deluxe this fall, in brown, and I had a "C" crown put in it. It's a fine hat, but man, that crown towers high. I mean, it's really, really high. I thought I would like that look, but I don't.
Otherwise the hat is great.
And a good deal.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Neil said:
I bought a fed deluxe this fall, in brown, and I had a "C" crown put in it. It's a fine hat, but man, that crown towers high. I mean, it's really, really high. I thought I would like that look, but I don't.
Otherwise the hat is great.
And a good deal.

How high did you bash the crown? I bashed my Fed III (which has a 6" high crown, 1/2" more than the Fed IV) to 4 1/4' in the front at 4 3/4" on the sides and I don't think it looks that high.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Welcome

Welcome to the lounge steppenwolph. I have to agree with Bolthead, I have one modern fedora, and about eight vintage ones. I like the vintage ones a lot better and spent a fraction of what I spent on the modern.

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
I would love to find a vintage hat in top condition, but I am leery of ebay. My head size is about 7 3/8, so the number of suitable hats is less. Other than the classifieds here on this site, and thrift stores, where does one find the vintage hat? It will probably be a matter of luck and timing. I will not be ending my collection at just one hat, so doubtless there will be some vintage gems among them. Its just know that I will need to learn much more about brands, levels of quality within a brand, and how much to pay for what. I don't have a lot of 'fun money' to throw at hats, so informed choices are vital. With all that has been written here about how a quality vintage beaver fur felt fedora feels, I really want to experience this first hand. Especially since people say they can be had for much less than new. Thanks for all the good advice!

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome!

Welcome to the Lounge, Steppenwolph. It's always great to have a new Mann around. Ask questions freely. The people in here are really knowledgeable and happy to share their wisdom. Enjoy! Best, Sam

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
steppenwolph said:
I would love to find a vintage hat in top condition, but I am leery of ebay. My head size is about 7 3/8, so the number of suitable hats is less. Other than the classifieds here on this site, and thrift stores, where does one find the vintage hat? It will probably be a matter of luck and timing. I will not be ending my collection at just one hat, so doubtless there will be some vintage gems among them. Its just know that I will need to learn much more about brands, levels of quality within a brand, and how much to pay for what. I don't have a lot of 'fun money' to throw at hats, so informed choices are vital. With all that has been written here about how a quality vintage beaver fur felt fedora feels, I really want to experience this first hand. Especially since people say they can be had for much less than new. Thanks for all the good advice!

I'm in the same boat Steppenwolph. I'm the same size and found a couple of fedoras on eBay. My first, a Dobbs that looked like it had sat out in a dust storm. That took some work cleaning with an air compressor. Another an Akubra Squatter that has required some TLC. I decided I like the Akubras and now have the Campdraft and Fed IV. Hats Direct really helped me feel confident about the size I needed and I've been happy with these hats. They're stylish, durable and relatively inexpensive.

Fed IV...
FedIV.jpg

Campdraft...
CD_3-1.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Attitude

I was thinking Step, my wife cautioned that there may be "people" in the Commonwealth that may look askance at me in my hats.

All I could say was I love the way I look, love the way I feel. If you don't then don't look.

5'10" or 10'5" it does not matter be who you are!!!! Stand tall and enjoy yourself. There really is another way to say it but it is not appropriate for this board

rrog

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge Steppenwolf and you too, billyspew. I'd go the eBay route. I've got a Stetson and Akubra, with another Akubra on the way, but I've spent far less money on my vintage Stetsons on eBay. But then again, the exchange rate between the Aussie and American dollars is very favorable for those of us here in the states. [huh]

rrog

Lancealot

Practically Family
If your worried about looking too much like Indy might I suggest the Moonstone color for your Fed. I think it's a great looking color.

About the vintage hat I have a 7 3/8 pork pie up over in the classifieds section you might want to take a look at.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
steppenwolph said:
IMy wife is already rolling her eyes at my new obsession, and an Akubra from hatsdirect really is the limit of what I can do right now.

An Akubra is certainly one of the best choices you can make as your first hat. I started with a wool felt when I knew next to nothing about hats, except that I wanted one. Akubra Fed Deluxe IV is my third hat and the first one that I'm happy with.

Carlisle Blues said:
I was thinking Step, my wife cautioned that there may be "people" in the Commonwealth that may look askance at me in my hats.

All I could say was I love the way I look, love the way I feel. If you don't then don't look.

Indeed, in Finland there's only about .05% of the male population who wear hats (if not less, actually, and I'm not counting baseball caps or knit winter caps etc.), so they are a really rare sight. Certainly, if you were afraid of standing out, a hat would not be a good choice. But I also love the way I look with my hat and the way I feel, so it really does not matter what other people think (fearing what other people think of you is a _very_ Finnish attitude and no-one here really wants to stand out).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe