Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hell on Wheels

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Another jewel from AMC.

[video=youtube;0s0JAAfA7IE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0JAAfA7IE[/video]

DNO

One Too Many
'Dark and edgy' was the description by a local reviewer...sure was. Good premiere episode. Looking forward to the next.

I DVR'd it and watched last night. It's not for the faint of heart! But I think that's good - it shows the "old west" and how things actually happened in a much more believable way than our grade-school history books. I like it, but it looks like it could go either way at this point. I must say that with American Horror Story, I was let down at first, but it's gotten a lot better. Seems most of the good stuff these days is on cable, and much of it on AMC.

DNO

One Too Many
I was impressed with the raid on the surveyor's camp. It seems that they made a real effort to avoid the stereotype of the Plains Indian. It felt 'real'...can't ask much more from a show than that. I hope they maintain this level of historic integrity. Sometimes,though, there's a danger that they become so fixated on historic accuracy that the storyline suffers (or vice versa). Deadwood managed to maintain a good balance. I sure hope Hell on Wheels does, as well.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm a little fuzzy on the title. Does Hell on Wheels refer to the impact the first steam locomotives had on the middle of the country, as seen by the Indians and/or the men involved in the planning and construction?

I'm a little fuzzy on the title. Does Hell on Wheels refer to the impact the first steam locomotives had on the middle of the country, as seen by the Indians and/or the men involved in the planning and construction?

That's my take, more or less...the reality of the story vs gee, what a great thing this was - we simply built trains from both sides of the US and met in the middle. It was much darker than that, and this series looks to tell that story...

DNO

One Too Many
There was a reference by one of the characters in the show about "going to Hell on Wheels". I took it to mean that sort of temporary town that sprang up at the end of the track.

Corky

Practically Family
Possibly the Motto of the 2nd U. S. Armored Division

Possibly the Motto of the 2nd U. S. Armored Division.

51omI%2Bp%2B4dL._SS500_.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Armored_Division_(United_States)

DNO

One Too Many
Episode 2 last night. Even better than Episode 1...and that new character ("They call me 'the swede'") is really something! Menacing, indeed. Very encouraging...looks like it may well be a very good series.

DNO

One Too Many
Pale complexion, big eyes....cadaverous. Could shape up to be a great character! The costume person who came up with that great high-necked black coat for The Swede is brilliant. The character is played by Christopher Heyerdahl who, ironically, is of partial Norwegian descent!

DNO

One Too Many
Episode 3: the main character continues on his fairly miserable and single-minded way while The Swede character continues to menace. Good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld