Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Head dents, not hat dents

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Now that I am wearing a fedora almost everyday I was wondering if it is common to be left with a slight red mark (not really a dent) on the forehead from the hat.
This is from any fedoras I wear including my custom VS that fits wonderfully and not tight unless I jam it on my head because it's windy.

Just curious.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
ok, guess it's just me then. [huh]
Just wondering as my wife always makes a comment about the red band on my forehead that my hats leave. Goes away fairly quickly but a bit of a pain to have when I first get to work. Thought someone might have a trick to keep from getting them.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Me too

Ya know, I thought I was the only one!

I assume it's 'cause I'm a long oval. Most hats on me are too wide side to side and a little tight front to back.

I have taken to cutting the bow out of the back of the hat band. I'm totally bald, and I discovered that the bow was leaving a nice little bow dent in the back of my head!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you are a Long Oval or even an Extra Long Oval, as that's the most common cause of said mark. That happens to me with some of my stiffer hats. Art's hat shouldn't do this though. I suppose it could be an allergy to leather.;)

Brad

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
Art's hat shouldn't do this though. I suppose it could be an allergy to leather.;)

Brad

Well, I do get this mark with my VS. It doesn't feel tight to me, seems to settle down right where the conformer was when I used it. As far as my head shape, oval is correct, not sure when it becomes a long oval - maybe I should ask Art.
Pretty sure it's not an allergy to leather! lol
Nice to know this is an issue with oval/long oval shaped heads.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I had that problem with my Akubra Federation Deluxe, till I soaked it in cold water, then over the next two days as it dried, I tried it on from time to time. This pretty well molded the oval to my head shape. :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Actually, by hat industry standards, everyone is an oval. There is the Regular Oval, which is by far the most prevalent, production-wise. Not sure how that works out in the real world. Then there is the Long Oval, the Extra Long Oval, and I think there may even by an Extra Extra Long Oval but can't remember for sure. There is also the Wide Oval, which is pretty rare.

Brad

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
I had that problem with my Akubra Federation Deluxe, till I soaked it in cold water, then over the next two days as it dried, I tried it on from time to time. This pretty well molded the oval to my head shape. :)

:eek: Think I better check with Art before I attempt that with the Sportaire!

RBH

Bartender
On some of my hats here is what I did ..
I take the hat in my left hand..
and take my right hand thumb and pushed on the inside bottom of the sweat where it leaves the mark on my forehead
I push against my left hand so as to make it give with each push.
I usually solve the problem after a few treatments.

kiltie

Practically Family
RBH...

I'd like to see a photo of what you're talking about. I'm sitting here at the kitchen table trying to picture it. I've got my hat in hand, left hand forming kind of a "C" at the front, then pushing with my right thumb against the bottom "piped" part of the sweat and into the the web of my left thumb and forefinger. Is that what you're describing? I'm dealing with my primary violator right now, and while J.T.'s advice is always sound, I have begun to wonder if he advocates scuba diving in felt hats, for all the dunking he does...;) I'm just too chicken to do that at this point.

RBH

Bartender
Yes kiltie, that is the way I am talking about. I too have wet hats down ..but.. most of the time this treatment has worked fine. I have used it on felt and straw with equal success.
Good luck and I do hope this helps.

P.S. I did try to photo the deal... but it did not work out..

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks RBH

The immediate results are favorable. I'm guessing two or three times a day for three or four days of this... Thanks again.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
kiltie said:
I'm dealing with my primary violator right now, and while J.T.'s advice is always sound, I have begun to wonder if he advocates scuba diving in felt hats, for all the dunking he does...;)

Theoretically the scuba diving trick would work. Freshwater if you want a "soft" felt; saltwater if you want to add a little stiffener. Of course I usually just "baptize" mine in the kitchen sink. :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, I get the same mark on my head after wearing a hat for a long period of time... or, if the hat is snug on my head.

But, we also get a mark much the same around our middles from pants... or, under garments or socks... :eek: lol

Whenever there is pressure applied to the body, it will leave a temporary mark. I try and wear hats that are just a little loose... so, that when I take it off, it wont leave a red mark... works.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies. I will try the hand stretch method with one of my other hats but not my VS. I will touch base with Art before I try to mess with one of his hats. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld