Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawker Hurricane

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As some of you know I knock together the odd model, and I thought I would post a few pics for the other WWII modellers of my latest. This is a Hasegawa 1/48 scale Hurricane in the markings of Billy Fiske of 601 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. Was a fun build and I am happy to have made a model of this particular aircraft of Fiske as I haven't seen it modelled before. Hope you like the photos.

BillysBus3.jpg

BillysBus4.jpg

BillysBus5.jpg

BillysBus7.jpg

BillysBus8.jpg

K

kpreed

Good job!:eusa_clap I have some kits for when I get better. Modeling was real big with me before I got sick.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Love it!

Is that a Monogram model? I built a 1/48 scale model of a Hurricane just like that about 30 years ago, but didn't come close to the quality of your detailing. Still it was one of my best efforts. (I'm not much of a craftsman, unlike you.) Your exquisite model brings back fond memories.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
That's great work Smithy. I love the amount of detail on it; the paint job, the decals. Now for some reason I feel an urge to run to the hobby shop. Strange.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys!

dhermann it's not a Monogram but a Hasegawa kit. They are one of the "new" generation companies and they make very nice kits with huge amounts of detail and good fit.

If it inspires some to shoot down to the hobby shop and make something, that's the best praise I could possibly get.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I used to LOVE to build models, not just as a kid, but as an adult. I'm a terrible craftsman, but I never let that stand in my way! Among my favorite balsa and paper jobs were a B-26 that came out only slightly twisty, and a Nieuport11, which also was only slightly twisty. I built a nice Fokker D-8 that actually flew quite well with its rubber band motor. The first plastic model I ever built was a Revell B-24, that I assembed without bothering to look at the directions, so I had several parts left over when I was done. lol
I also had a nice little collection of 1/72 between the wars biplanes. I tended to built between the war biplanes in 1/72, and WW II in 1/48 scale.
Another favorite as a kid was a huge B-29. The detailing of the model was not great, but the final product was impressive. MUCH fun. I still have several sitting unfinished in a box in the basement.
BTW, what hobby shop? All the good ones are gone!

Flieger

Practically Family
Oooooh! That's one sweet Hurricane! Beautiful work there, Smithy. :eusa_clap

I love to build kits myself and here's one of mine: The P-26 "Peashooter"
P_26_late.jpg

It's the 1:32 Hasegawa kit.

/Flieger

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely beautiful Mike, gorgeous work :eusa_clap

Ooh that's reminded me about the Hurricane close up stuff for you. I must admit it had slipped my mind! I'll scan it for you now and send it to your email.

Once again fantastic Peashooter.

K

kpreed

Another great plane!:eusa_clap Seeing these really makes me miss the hobby. I have Ataxia and part of the Ataxia is bad shaking that is no good for plastic or any detail, so no modeling for me right now, but I do miss it a bunch.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks guys!

Smithy: There's no panic with the Hurri photos. I would have reminded you if it was. ;)

Kpreed: It sounds like your condition will improve with time? I hope it will. Best whishes!

/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Twitch.

I've done battle damage on a couple in the past using heated nails of various sizes to punch through the styrene. I could've actually done it on this as this Hurri was hit by a cannon shell from a 110 in the aileron when Fiske was involved in a big scrap.

Do you still build? Post some pics if you have some of your previous models!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I also had a nice little collection of 1/72 between the wars biplanes.

Then you might like my Hawker Fury that I'm working on at the mo. This is where she's at at the moment. Still some work to do. The decals weren't made for this kit so I need to touch-up the markings in places...

Fury1-1.jpg

Hope you get back into the hobby dhermann, always a nice way for aviation fans to pass the time with winter coming.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No no more modeling for me. My close up sight is long gone and I don't have the patience anymore either. Depending on the scale you can use a heated needle or pin for bullet holes. I used to use an electric wood burning iron with a V-shaped tip. These get less hot than soldering iron. You could model the damage like torn metal or fabric from 20 mms too. All mine were mostly 1/72 scale and they're pack away I don't know where.[huh]

kampkatz

Practically Family
Good job on the Hurricane. The other photos are also appreciated. I have built Hurricane models in every scale from 1/72 to 1/24. I have particular fondness for the understated workhorse of the Battle of Britain. All you modellers keep up the good work. And I find as my eyes get older. some good magnifying lamps help a great deal.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
kampkatz said:
Good job on the Hurricane. The other photos are also appreciated. I have built Hurricane models in every scale from 1/72 to 1/24. I have particular fondness for the understated workhorse of the Battle of Britain. All you modellers keep up the good work. And I find as my eyes get older. some good magnifying lamps help a great deal.

Thanks Kampkatz, always nice to hear from other Hurri lovers.

I agree entirely with the magnifiers suggestion. I have some and there are some fairly brilliant ones out there to make things easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe