Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian dresses

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hello Lounge Ladies,

I've recently started looking at Hawaiian dresses. Do you have one? A Kamehameha, a Shaheen, or even a Whirling Turban repro? Please show me yours!

Also, ladies, what kind of shoes do you wear with yours? flats? wedges? regular heels? springolator type heels? What would be the most appropriate look?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I don't yet, but I certainly want to get a couple for summer.

Well the vintage ones tend to run very pricey, so more than one will probably require some deep pockets.

I may be wrong, but from what I can tell, it's much more financially realistic to go with the Whirling Turban custom made repros than to try to find a vintage Shaheen on ebay.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
IMG20.jpg

I got this on ebay about 4 years ago for only 14.99. There's no tag and it's short but I was still amazed. I had a repro one that I got from ebay about 5-7 years ago. Id didn't fit so I traded it. This ine doesn't fit either but I am hoping to get back into it. My sister has the dixie fried sarong dress, A 60's a line sund dress that is green with pink whales, and a beautiful peach Shaheen dress. I will have to take a pic of the Shaheen. It's amazing but doesn't fit me.
The dress I am wearing in my avatar is from the 60's I think. I got it 10 years ago for 5 bucks and I wear it all the time. I had at least thre others in the past. I used to collect them.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I may be wrong, but from what I can tell, it's much more financially realistic to go with the Whirling Turban custom made repros than to try to find a vintage Shaheen on ebay.

I have to agree. I have all but given up. I keep even hoping that I can find a decent reproduction fabric that I like to have a seamstress make one for me. Alas - I haven't found on that doesn't look 80s to me. I get annoyed that the ones selling for $200+ are not even in that great of condition. They often look faded or threadbare.

If I had one though - I would most definitely wear my wood carved wedges with it from LuckyLouShoes.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have about, I don't know, from 30 to 50. Maybe more! I have a Shaheen and who knows what all else. I've made about 5. Some have the man's matching shirt. :) If it's a casual above-the-knee dress sometimes I just wear slip-on or lace-up Keds or Keds-type sneakers, white or any other color, really, it's a cute look. Otherwise sandals, ballet slippers, or if it's a long dress, wedgies in gold or silver, for that hostess look. Or barefoot, as at the Frolic last year in Las Vegas. :eek: This is one of the few garments I feel comfortable wearing without stockings; I don't really like bare legs except with casual clothing. You didn't ask about a handbag but I have some straw ones I use; one a guy friend said looked like a bird's nest.
A few dresses were given to me over the years but all of the others came from thrift stores, usually worn once or never by the donor. People from around here seem to visit the dress factories in Hawaii and bring one home from the gift shop and then say "When am I ever going to wear this thing?" :) No camera yet so no pictures, sorry.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
What are some of the things to look for when choosing one? Are there some characteristics that are desirable when choosing a vintage one, like elasticized sides, matching bolero or removable/adjustable strap?

Are there other companies besides Whirling Turban that make decent repros?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
This is one of the few garments I feel comfortable wearing without stockings; I don't really like bare legs except with casual clothing. You didn't ask about a handbag but I have some straw ones I use; one a guy friend said looked like a bird's nest.

Thanks, Beguine. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! Stuff like, would I get Springolators to wear with it? Is that something you'd wear stockings with or would it be authentic enough to bypass them? This is one look I know little to nothing about!

I'm sorry you don't have a camera. I'd love to see some of your collection!

epr25

Practically Family
Several years ago in my very small home town I found a fantastic Shaheen for $2.00. I didn't know who he was or the prestige that the name carried on his dress. I just loved the fabric. I will take some photos tonight.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this counts, but this is my go-to Hawaiian two piece that I made. I need to remake it though as it is getting pretty ratty.

Try to ignore the look of constipation. Hahahaha
P1060845b.jpg

AnnaMaria

New in Town
LolitaHaze that fabric is so pretty. Where did you get it?
I've been looking for hawaiian print fabric for a while, because I would like to make a shirt (and now I'm beginning to think about a dress too), but I haven't found any good ones.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AnnaMaria said:
I've been looking for hawaiian print fabric for a while, because I would like to make a shirt (and now I'm beginning to think about a dress too), but I haven't found any good ones.

Reprodepot.com used to have a bunch of great retro 50s ones (along with great barkcloth) and now they have nothing up on their website :(

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
AnnaMaria said:

AnnaMarie... I think I got that YEARS ago at Walmart in their bargin bin area. Check JoAnn's they have wonderful flora prints out right now.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Reprodepot.com used to have a bunch of great retro 50s ones (along with great barkcloth) and now they have nothing up on their website :(

i noticed that recently!! i have a chair i've been wanting to get reupholstered in barkcloth and wanted to start pricing the project, since it's something i'm gonna have to save for. i did find some sites with repro hawaiian fabrics though, but i'm not on my computer right now so i'll have to post them later.

Miss_Bella_Hell

BegintheBeguine said:
I have about, I don't know, from 30 to 50. Maybe more! I have a Shaheen and who knows what all else. I've made about 5. Some have the man's matching shirt. :) If it's a casual above-the-knee dress sometimes I just wear slip-on or lace-up Keds or Keds-type sneakers, white or any other color, really, it's a cute look. Otherwise sandals, ballet slippers, or if it's a long dress, wedgies in gold or silver, for that hostess look. Or barefoot, as at the Frolic last year in Las Vegas. :eek: This is one of the few garments I feel comfortable wearing without stockings; I don't really like bare legs except with casual clothing. You didn't ask about a handbag but I have some straw ones I use; one a guy friend said looked like a bird's nest.
A few dresses were given to me over the years but all of the others came from thrift stores, usually worn once or never by the donor. People from around here seem to visit the dress factories in Hawaii and bring one home from the gift shop and then say "When am I ever going to wear this thing?" :) No camera yet so no pictures, sorry.

Hm, you're my size aren't you?!!! Next time you want to buy something from me, maybe we could arrange a trade instead! ;) ;) ;)

lyburnum

Practically Family
I made this dress:

IMG_6416.jpg

Out of this pattern:

s4559.jpg

It's now out of print, but you can still find it on eBay (bit pricey some of them though, glad I found it when I did)

As you can see, I'm wearing it with pumps, but they have a 1" wedge in the back. I probably wouldn't wear the dress with flats.

BegintheBeguine

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hm, you're my size aren't you?!!! Next time you want to buy something from me, maybe we could arrange a trade instead! ;) ;) ;)
Cool. But after posting my long thread, I realized my Hawaiian dresses are mostly shifts or gowns, not shapely sarong-y Whirling Turban-type styles. [huh] Still, I gotta borrow a camera. And look through some boxes. :)

AnnaMaria

New in Town
Thank you for the tip Lolita, but unfortunately JoAnns doesn’t ship internationally.

I suddenly remembered this place though http://equilter.com/. Most of the Hawaiian print fabrics I found there is barkcloth. I’m not sure what that is guessing it’s not what I’m looking for.

I found this one, but I’ts not exactly what I wanted. I would love one with a pink background. But someone else might like it. It’s on sale too.
http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=83533&sid=93LKiA1zV2ZH4F1-57108047660.b0

I also found this site
http://www.barkclothhawaii.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe