Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever had a stranger photograph you...when you were dressed vintage?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
A bit off topic I know, but reading about your experience with a punter in the 50's diner asking if you owned the place, I thought I would just say that I had to pop into Sainsburys on the way home from seeing friends at the beach last weekend, and I was wearing my Boater. A little old lady came up to me and asked if I could get her some breaded ham from the Deli counter! She thought I was staff!

Bless! :D

I can relate. More than once while in a department store, I've had someone ask if I could help them find a particular item (a couple of times I actually did without mentioning the fact that I, too, was a customer). Also more than once I've had visitors to my school ask if I was the principal.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Just before last Christmas my boyfriend and I arranged to meet our friend before a dance under the clock at Waterloo Station in London (big Mainline Station). Him being very Old School, he doesn't have a mobile phone, so there was a nice easy place to meet. I was wearing late 30s dress/coat/hat and my boyfriend in a nice 30s three piece suit and overcoat.

We were a bit early and not sure which direction he would be coming from, so we were gazing about when I notice a man with a big camera a little way away pointing it at us. When I looked over there, he lowered the camera. This happened several times until I just stood looking straight at him, DARING him to take a picture without asking our permission! He had the grace to look embaressed and didn't but no doubt had his shot by then. Thing is, I wouldn't have minded if he had asked me, but the furtive camera pointing got on my nerves. I know I should have gone over and said 'Excuse me, but it is common courtesy to ask if you'd like to take my picture' but I was too cross and thought I might end up sounding rude myself!

Now, I also do alot of Living History, so then I don't mind people taking my picture as I am there as part of the 'entertainment', so to speak. When I am just pootling about minding my own business, then you damn well should ASK.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That's the thing about it: asking in a positive, or less negative, manner, might have gotten the point across without you looking cross. But I know what you mean. Sometimes, you just wanna go up to somebody and go <smeckkity-smeckkity-smeck!>:D

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
If people are taking my picture without asking and I notice (it happens), I generally just pose a bit. What can I say, I like having my picture taken.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Have you ever been the stranger photographing someone?

When I was in Venice, I just had to stop this gentleman and ask him if I could take his picture. He was just staying so cool (literally and figuratively) in his elegant getup and with is gelato.
IMG_9453.jpg

Also when I was in Rome, waiting around in the morning at the Piazza di Spagna (where tourists generally photographed me), there was a photoshoot going on that I just had to pirate.
IMG_9213.jpg

Years ago I was selling at an antique flea market and who should happen to walk by? It was Cindy Crawford. So I pulled out my camera and snapped a pic of her as she went by, but then one of her entourage got in my face telling me no photographs. The darndest thing was that this person was in MY stall at the flea market and I could have kicked her out. Though the best part was that I had already gotten my picture! :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm not clear on something. Did she walk by or did she stop in your stall? If she did stop, I might have fawned over her a bit and asked for a picture. If she just walked by, then no one has the right to get in anyone's face about taking a picture. It's not illegal, and when you're a celebrity, it's part of what you sign on for.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Just before last Christmas my boyfriend and I arranged to meet our friend before a dance under the clock at Waterloo Station in London (big Mainline Station). Him being very Old School, he doesn't have a mobile phone, so there was a nice easy place to meet. I was wearing late 30s dress/coat/hat and my boyfriend in a nice 30s three piece suit and overcoat.

We were a bit early and not sure which direction he would be coming from, so we were gazing about when I notice a man with a big camera a little way away pointing it at us. When I looked over there, he lowered the camera. This happened several times until I just stood looking straight at him, DARING him to take a picture without asking our permission! He had the grace to look embaressed and didn't but no doubt had his shot by then. Thing is, I wouldn't have minded if he had asked me, but the furtive camera pointing got on my nerves. I know I should have gone over and said 'Excuse me, but it is common courtesy to ask if you'd like to take my picture' but I was too cross and thought I might end up sounding rude myself!

Now, I also do alot of Living History, so then I don't mind people taking my picture as I am there as part of the 'entertainment', so to speak. When I am just pootling about minding my own business, then you damn well should ASK.

There have been a few places that someone takes pictures and then asks you if you want a copy, for a few bucks. Now at times that is a real con as they are going to just pocket the money and maybe had no film to begin with. However, I have some great shots of me in Europe, (Southern France) and in Italy, that had been taken by a photographer that used high end Polaroid Camera's and I loved it!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It has happened to me a few times. I don't mind so much when I'm asked if I want to be photographed. Otherwise...it can irritate me. I always wonder, what on earth happens to the photos!? Oh well.

One time a stranger took a photo at an event and I tracked it down online after. It's actually one of my favourite photos!
X
BD

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
Happened to me just today. I was at the Fire Museum Open House and a guy was taking pictures, then came up to me and said he was from the local paper and asked for my name. He noted that I fit right in (it's all antique fire engines and equipment).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Happened to me just today. I was at the Fire Museum Open House and a guy was taking pictures, then came up to me and said he was from the local paper and asked for my name. He noted that I fit right in (it's all antique fire engines and equipment).

That sounds fun!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Quick flea market humor, walk into one, ask for the manager...or owner...and then,: Geez, I was noticing your sign out front, and wanted to know how much do you charge for fleas"?.....

At times I would go to "flea markets" that take place at some of the old drive in locations in California. Is that the type you attend, or no?

The last of the drive-in flea markets is the Rhodium (sp?) in Torrance. The three big antiques flea markets are at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Pasadena City College and Long Beach Veterans Stadium (Long Beach City College)*. They're held monthly. It was at the latter where I saw Cindy Crawford and Dennis Franz. Then there's the three big swap meets held every weekend. They're all in Orange County. There's the one at Golden West College in Huntington Beach (I'm just a couple of miles down the road from there), Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, and Cypress College in Cypress. Sadly, OCC and Cypress College are not what they used to be leaving Golden West as the only good one. I was just there today and picked up a few things.

Travel Tip: If you're in Long Beach for any Queen Mary events, you might also want to squeeze in the antiques flea market at Vet's Stadium (near the airport) which is held on the 3rd Sunday of every month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe