Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats aplenty on the bus

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Chanfan said:
Just a little observation from a few days ago.

I was taking a bus from downtown (Seattle) to a park-and-ride, afternoon rush hour. As has been normal all summer, I've been wearing my Bailey Panama. It's full, so perhaps 50 or so folks on the bus.

I noted four baseball caps on the bus, two on women. One was pink in set up in the pony-tail out the back configuration, which I find one of the most pleasing ways for a ball cap.

However, I was quite surprised to note that there were more actual hats on the bus, five. Aside from myself, there was another panama, a felt with a medium ribbon and brim, and two stingy brims on younger hipsters.

Perhaps an anomaly to have more brimmed hats than ball caps, but worthy of note!

Interesting you should bring this up since I just made the trip through Sea-Tac airport the other day. As a semi-professional people watcher, I tend to look for hats. LOTS of ball caps in the airport, a few cowboy hats (not REAL cowboys mind you...all hat, no cattle), but very few of anything else. One guy was wearing a "fedora" (term used loosely) made of RealTree camo, and another "youngish" guy was wearing a "hat" that looked like a cross between a porkpie and a stingy brim fedora...that had been stepped on. There was one older gentlemen that stuck to the old school rules of dressing up for air travel. He was wearing a seersucker suit and a Panama....with white socks and Birkinstocks (It IS Seattle, after all). As for me, I left the fedoras and panamas at home and stuck with my University of Alaska ball cap. Given how crowded flights are these days, there is NO where to put hats so they won't get crushed. Mine ride on my knee while I am seated, and on my head when standing.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
PabloElFlamenco said:
I'm daily on public transport, in Belgium (Europe) and my empirical experience on what appears to be accepted etiquette is to
-blather loudly into mobile phones about private issues
-listen to obnoxious music coming out of some tin-foil speaker
-occupy as many seats as possible with as few people as can be
-and to shout at each other in unintelligible forms of speech

Seems that's becoming an international problem, I thought it was just our home grown chavs!

And as for hats, this summer I've noticed loads of straw hats on public transport, admittedly mostly on tshirt wearing types, but a few worn with blazer and trousers work attire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld