Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

SBCD & a Long Black waiting for this mornings meeting.

IMG_1044.jpg

I’d have never thought that was a CD based on the ribbon and brim edge treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was an early CD I think. The Imperial liner & sweat are identical as today's version. Virtually NOS in the box when I got it. It was somewhat like a cross between an OR & an outback style. It had a two cord ribbon typical of an OR but no brim binding, just RE. The brim was flanged with some draw front & back. I wanted it more like by BSHW or Gannon Highwayman so I had Scott reflange the brim, replace the ribbon with a midribbon & add the brim stitch to the edge. It's creased kind of Between a C-crown & a center crease.

The original US dealer no longer sells Akubra. I tried to find out more info from them but could only confirm that they sold Akubra in the past.

I did know that Akubra makes different models using the same name for different markets/retailers. It doesn’t surprise me that they made Campdrafts with unbound brims, etc.

For what it’s worth, I like its current configuration much better than how it came originally.
Like I said, I really liked the straight, square blocking & thought it would be a good candidate for a '20's - '30's Western dress clone. Not sure that's how it turned out but I like it a lot.

I had never heard of a Down Under (RJR just posted one the other day) but last fall I saw one listed & again I liked the straight, square blocking. But it was a Crocodile Dundee clone with a telescope. The brim flattened nicely but it just didn't like a center crease very well, but took a Cattleman just fine. Now it's sort of an OR without any fender or curl to the RE brim. I like it just fine now.

Before
IMG_4629.JPG

After
IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Like I said, I really liked the straight, square blocking & thought it would be a good candidate for a '20's - '30's Western dress clone. Not sure that's how it turned out but I like it a lot.

I had never heard of a Down Under (RJR just posted one the other day) but last fall I saw one listed & again I liked the straight, square blocking. But it was a Crocodile Dundee clone with a telescope. The brim flattened nicely but it just didn't like a center crease very well, but took a Cattleman just fine. Now it's sort of an OR without any fender or curl to the RE brim. I like it just fine now.

Before
View attachment 112814

After
View attachment 112815
View attachment 112816

I dig it with the cattleman’s crease!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82