Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat size - can you shrink a hat to fit?

Levallois

Practically Family
Did a search and didn't find anything. I've got my eye on a Resistol hat that is one size too big (normally they are all too small) - it's a 4X beaver felt - age? I would guess 60s-70s. I like the color or I would wait for a suitable size to come along. Would a hat like this be "shrinkable?" Thank you for the help.

John

RBH

Bartender
You can place foam pads or even a piece of felt or paper in the sweat. Also some have placed the hat oner a lamp shade and left it awhile with the bulb on, that shrinks the sweat. I have never done this. You will need to do a complete search here on that method, you could also find that info at Club Obi Wan [the Indy site].

NonEntity

Suspended
Caution

If the hat is only one size too large, the felt pads placed inside the sweatband should make it fit.

If not, get an experienced pro to shrink such a fine hat as a 4X beaver Resistol. It was be foolhardy to risk doing it yourself.

BillTyre

New in Town
Good luck on an Akurba

I am foolhardy, but I'm also working with the lower end of the spectrum. I had good luck dampening the sweatband and placing the hat on a lampshade. The tricky part was finding an incandescent bulb in this age of green CFLs. Made the hat wearable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe