Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Shops in Bay Area...

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
I'm new to this site, it's pretty fantastic. Anywhoo, I wanted to take a poll and see what people's favorite bay area hat shop or hat company is and why. It seems as though most of you are not based down here though.

~ Paulette

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Paulette, stay and enjoy.

Off topic, but are you the person that is taking over Michael's "Pauls Hat Works"? I have a client that informed me Michael was selling to and training a couple of nice ladies so I'm just curious.

Goose.

Practically Family
I live in Fleamont. Been in the East and South Bay since '71. But never noticed what one might expect in a urban area for hat stores.

Have heard of "Hat Guys" in Oaktown but have never checked them out (search this site for other's that have experience). http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-hat-guys-oakland

Here's a few news links on Paul's: http://travelswest.blogspot.com/2008/12/save-pauls-hat-works.html and http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2008/12/14/cityexposed.DTL

I do have a hat from this shop "Fino Fino" from back when it was a small shop at the Allied Arts Guild in Menlo Park:
http://www.finofino.com/index.html . . . http://www.yelp.com/biz/fino-fino-menlo-park

And, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn...

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
Paul's

Art,

Yes, I am one of the four ladies that has taken over Paul's Hat Works. We have been renovating the space for the last month, and hope to open at the end of August. We are all very excited and passionate about "Bringing the Hat Back." It's quite the story, how we met him, how we got involved, and how we now own the place. If you have any other questions for us, don't hesitate to ask....

~ Paulette

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
That's wonderful Paulette, all the best to you and your partners. There is definitely a market there.

Goose, I'm sorry but I don't understand the "sucker punch" comment. I hope it wasn't something I said.

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
I don't understand the sucker punch comment either. I truly am curious about what people feel about the hat shops down here, it's of interest to me because there are so few, and now this is my new line of work. I've heard varying opinions about several (the hat Guys, Mrs. Dewson, etc). I'm also wondering if people know much about local hat designers that don't actually have stores. I am a little thrown off by some negative comments on here in other threads about Paul's Hat Works... :(

Paulette

Goose.

Practically Family
Art Fawcett said:
That's wonderful Paulette, all the best to you and your partners. There is definitely a market there.

Goose, I'm sorry but I don't understand the "sucker punch" comment. I hope it wasn't something I said.
Not in any way Art. Not at all.

Just felt goofy for looking things up for someone's first post asking about hat shops...thinking I was helping someone that wanted to know about where to get hats in this area. My own newbie mistake.

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
Fino Fino

Goose,

I didn't know about Fino Fino. That's very interesting. Thanks for the tidbit, only one yelper though. I wasn't trying to make people feel silly, I really just wanted to get a feel for people's own opinions of the different shops down here.

~ Paulette

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Not sure if it would count as it's not a dedicated hat shop, but Wilkes Bashford has an excellent men's hat selection, both felt and straw.

Goose.

Practically Family
Paul-ette said:
Goose,

I didn't know about Fino Fino. That's very interesting. Thanks for the tidbit, only one yelper though. I wasn't trying to make people feel silly, I really just wanted to get a feel for people's own opinions of the different shops down here.

~ Paulette
Please Paulette...no worries. You learned about Fino and I learned about Paul's.

Your original post was quite clear. Just thought you needed help finding a store. Overly zealous on my part...guess that's the Eagle Scout in me. Helping the old man across the street before the light turns green ;)

Maybe someday I'll make it over and check your place out. All this time and I've ridden past that place untold times w/o knowing it was there.
Between J-Town and the Cliff House if my map looks right.

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
Paul's location...

It is very interesting where the shop is located (25th ave and Geary) because it's sandwiched between this flower shop and a breakfast diner, and there's a gigantic tree right in front of it. Since we renovated we covered the windows with paper, which actually attracted a lot more attention. Locals started dropping by and telling us they've lived in the neighborhood for years and never noticed. We're going to change that! It has been on that block for 91 years though, so we hope we can get people to open up their eyes....

~ Paulette

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
25th & Geary? or ? right at the entrance to Sea Cliff, Goose. Pauls hat works was/is an established shop for years & years. It was owned by Michael Harris who apprenticed under "Paul" and a most excellent hatter. When I was first starting my hatting journey 15-18 years ago I had Michael build a panama for me as I didn't trust myself at that point with panama's that fine.
There are reasons Micheal couldn't make it any longer but I don't believe that it had anything to do with talent and I don't pretend to have any inside info. The opinions you have read here Paul-ette seem more negative on his pricing and frankly attitudes toward the hobbiest than his hatmaking.

edited after reading Paul-ette's post above.

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
A Little Bit About Paul's....

I think I'll give y'all the most accurate back story of Paul's and of us (the new owners). This is an excerpt of something we are sending out to our clients, friends, and family.

The Past: In 1918, Napoleon (or Paul) Marquez, a Peruvian, having returned from the U.S. Service in World War I, began making hats; specializing in Panama Straw. He opened Paul’s Hat Works in a building on Geary Blvd. Paul ran the shop for 37 years, until 1955, when his godson, Kelley Bowling, took over. Kelley ran the Hat Works as a “Mom and Pop” Renovation Shop, with his wife Stephanie for 25 years.
Kelley later sold the shop to Michael Harris and his wife Judith in 1980. A Hatter now for 40 years, Michael steadfastly worked to achieve and maintain the “Museum” quality of the Hat Works. Carefully preserving the integrity of over 90 years of fine custom-made hats, Michael worked with the same tools and equipment used since the early 19th century, in what is now one of the oldest operating hat shops in the United States. 6128 Geary Boulevard has always housed a Hat Shop, and now, due to the following events, it always will.

The Present: It was New Year's Day, 2009, and one girl walked into a building that transported her into another time. The building contained Paul’s Hat Works. Amazed by its beauty, its preservation of the craft, and this feeling of stepping into another decade, Olivia Griffin, visionary and Head of Marketing & Outreach, engaged the owner, Michael Harris, in a conversation about the life of the business. She quickly learned that Paul's Hat Works was shutting down, and 90 years of history would be split into fragments across the country and further, unless someone could keep it together.

The Future: Some of the changes we are implementing include renovating and re-designing the space to allow for a large sewing/crafts studio, a new and improved hat making space, and a lovely backyard for a flower and vegetable garden. The décor and design of the space will be focused on the feeling of going back to the time and place where people still wore hats every day, still listened to old records, and still spent time getting to know the local hatter in the community. This complete rejuvenation of the space is spearheaded and organized by Abbie Dwelle, Head of Maintenance and Organization.

We want to continue the legacy, history, and artistic value of Paul's Hat Works while doing something that has not been done: designing seasonal, more creative lines of men’s hats that will extend over a wider price range. We will still be making all of our hats by hand with old, valuable hat blocks, tools, and machines, the same way the previous owner, Michael, has been making hats for the last forty years. Kirsten Hove, Head of Production and Design, is in charge of producing these creative lines. She is also organizing the installation of intricate, eye-opening window displays that will be changing every month.

Aside from prizing the art of designing and making hats, we place a high value on education, community, and skill sharing. Wendy Hawkins, bookkeeper and Head of Human Resources for Paul’s Hat Works, is a local business owner and is committed to bringing the community into Paul’s Hat Works and extending our support to our fellow local businesses. We will be having sewing and craft classes in the studio we are creating behind the storefront. By doing this, we can invite the community in to experience and examine some of the interesting relics that are used in hat making while perpetuating what we know amongst others. This will fulfill our need to continue a rich part of history and become more integrated into the community of the Richmond District of San Francisco.

billyspew

One Too Many
Paul-ette said:
I think I'll give y'all the most accurate back story of Paul's and of us (the new owners). This is an excerpt of something we are sending out to our clients, friends, and family.

I hope you're also building a website, and you should start a blog to show off each window display!

Will the sewing classes include how to attach a ribbon & sweatband ;)

Looking forward to seeing some hats.

Next time I'm in the city I'll be sure to swing by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld