Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Opinions Needed!

North Valley

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen, --And Women! :)
I have been making hats now for about 24 years and see that fedoras and more city style hats are becoming very popular once again. That is wonderful to see, as I get very tired making the same styles all the time.
Rodney Allison / North Valley Hat Co.
fed4.jpg

fed3.jpg

sweatstitch074.jpg

fed1.jpg

fed2.jpg

fed6.jpg

fed7.jpg

sweatstitch074-1.jpg

sweatstitch025.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes! There seems to be a specialized but healthy market for the 1930s-50s styles. (You may think of them as "city hats," but back in the day they were just hats.)

I would think, based on my study of what's available today, that there is particular unmet demand for the higher, straight sided, non-tapered crowns, and for rarer colors, such as silver, grey-blues and greens.

You might also consider doing an open crown option. I have had several and find that doing one's own bash lends a personal touch nothing else will give.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Gee, I don't know. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures. I could get a much better idea, and gauge peoples' reactions, if you were to send one my direction...say the hat in the first picture in a 7 1/4? ;)

I second Fletch's comment; I like to add my personal touch to each hat, so open crowns are a great option.

Welcome to the Lounge, Rodney.

Michaelson

One Too Many
That brown bound edge version in the next to last photo has my name on it, as well as the silverbelly.....so the answer, I guess, is a resounding YES!!!!:)

HIGH regards! Michaelson

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Very, very nice...

I agree with Fletch's comments. For me, 2 1/2" brim, high crown, no taper in colors other than medium brown and medium gray.

Stoney

Practically Family
They look great

I agree with Fletch. You don't see too many color varations available, blue and green shades in particular, and it would be nice to have some with no taper on the front. I like smaller brims 2" to 2 1/4" but not too stingy.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OUTSTANDING

Numbers 1 & 5 would have to be my favorites of those shown. Very accomplished work. I shouldn't think you would have any problem selling these to the hat wearing public, myself included!
:eusa_clap Bravo :eusa_clap & thanks for showing examples of your work!

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Great looking hats! I don't own any (I'm pretty new to the idea of non-baseball cap hats) but I'm looking to in the very near future. Your hats would be the exact style I'm going for (1,2,7, and 8 to be precise).

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
I was just looking at the newest pictures you posted that last picture reminds me of the hat Jame Caan wore in El Dorado. I have looked for a hat like that for a lot of years and that is the closes I have seen. Very cool!!!!

North Valley

New in Town
???

Dr Trinidad,
I think you are talking about the short crown tapered hat??? It is a reproduction of a movie. Had Joh Wayne and Dean Martin in it. I can't remember the young kid, but he always said it was his dads' hat and he couldn't shoot a gun very well, so they always gave him a shotgun.
If that's the movie, that's the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe