Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hard hat

dr greg

One Too Many
fun, but....

Look I have to be a party pooper here, I spent 15 years or so working in the demolition business, hard heavy and bloody dangerous work, and there's no way you would get me wearing one of those Vulcan cowboy things or anything like it,
1. the brim would affect your upward and peripheral vision, meaning you are continually coming into contact with protruding scaffolding etc etc,
2. your standard hard hat is based on the concept of a helmet, that is to deflect any object away from the head, so as to only suffer a glancing blow.
I would have grave concerns about how one of those things would react to a Stilson dropped from 100 feet above onto the brim.
3. they would hamper your movement in confined spaces especially when required to work underneath a surface.
4. what about the wind on an exposed site. I see no method of attachment.
5. What about protection from a blow from the side if a pressure hose got loose, it would flip that out of the way and split your skull.
I doubt whether the regulators or the unions in this country would permit them.
Maybe a concretor could get away with one working at ground level, but any other trade or situation... NOT ME BUDDY! I like my head the way it is!

jkingrph

Practically Family
I agree with Dr Greg. Having spent a long time in the Air Force as a medical officer I did learn that helments are designed to protect the head and not necessarily be stylish. Consider a hard hat a helment and go for maximum protection.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That was mine. Actually they are OSHA approved. All points made regarding safety are correct. But not all area's requiring hard hats have the same type of work being performed. I agree on working underneath someone with this hard hat, I wouldn't do it either. But that's why I have the standard type on my work truck as well. I wear this one when I'm doing Aerial work and I'm the guy who's over the heads of everyone else. To be honest it is a bit heavier than I'd like but I still like to wear it in certain work zones.

The only other non standard type I've seen is even heavier and looks like a regular cattleman type of cowboy hat.

fedoralover

Duck

Practically Family
Classic hard hat:
csah-silver-side.jpg

My best friend's dad has worn one of these for as long as I can remember.

majormoore

Vendor
When I worked over seas in the oil fields many years ago,mid 70's and early 80's I wore what we called a turtle shell hard hat. Looked like a turtle shell on your head. Wish I had kept that hard hat, had many oil field stickers on it, it was lost at sea when a rig I had been on sank, all 94 men died that were on board, I had been sent to South America and was not on my rig when it went down, the rig was called the Ocean Ranger.
http://www.chs.k12.nf.ca/socstud/ssgrassroots/oceanranger/OceanRangerIntro.htm

We even drilled a little hole in the edge of the brim at the rear and tied a small line to it and then clipped the line to our belts, just to keep the things from blowing off your head when the winds got up out there.

I really miss that hat, and all the things I did while I had it own out there.

Mike

Major Moore

RBH

Bartender
AlanC said:
A modern Open Road?
Might be a use for them after all.:D

bolthead said:
I do remember seeing a few different varieties somewhere. Let me do some sifting. :rolleyes:
Thanks!

fedoralover said:
That was mine. ..

The only other non standard type I've seen is even heavier and looks like a regular cattleman type of cowboy hat.

fedoralover
Thanks for the info...

majormoore said:
We even drilled a little hole in the edge of the brim at the rear and tied a small line to it and then clipped the line to our belts, just to keep the things from blowing off your head when the winds got up out there.

I really miss that hat, and all the things I did while I had it own out there.

Mike

Major Moore
A wind trolly. :D
Neat story Mike.

deanglen said:
I'd go for one of those classic hardhats like Duck posted. Vintage is vintage.
dean
Yeah... we alrady have a simular style in blue plastic?!

Speedster

Practically Family
Or the fully brimmed version of the helmet Duck suggested:

fbah-silver-side.jpg

For me the fully brimmed aluminium hard hat is the classic hard hat.

And then there is always this one; then Vulcan Cowboy hard hat:

yhst-38637167768280_1990_11641354.jpg

Rebashing might prove to be a bit of a challenge though...

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I want one just for the novelty. With a few additions it seems like it can be made to look fedora-ish. It would be cool to have one for 100% all-weather wear. And you can't beat the price. I've found them online for way under 20 bucks.

S-H...

majormoore

Vendor
I am buying myself one of the white ones, I need one to wear once in a blue moon on some job sites I have to visit, and this will fit the bill, while walking around inside the building.

Mike

Speedster said:
Or the fully brimmed version of the helmet Duck suggested:

fbah-silver-side.jpg

For me the fully brimmed aluminium hard hat is the classic hard hat.

And then there is always this one; then Vulcan Cowboy hard hat:

yhst-38637167768280_1990_11641354.jpg

Rebashing might prove to be a bit of a challenge though...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Bump Cap vs Hard Hat

My first job as an adult I worked in a roofing plant. We wore "bump caps." They were blue plastic (white for salaried employees).

I was told that bump caps were plastic, hard hats metal. We didn't have the hazards of falling debris and such you might find on a work site, so a hard hat wasn't needed. We did need some protection, though, hence the use of the plastic bump cap. I was glad I was wearing one more than once!

Seems to me that the fedora/cowboy hat-styled protective hats are bump caps, not hard hats, and therefore may not be appropriate for a work site.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld