Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Days Jacket

Edward

Bartender
Looks great. It's a cracking style; I had my eye on one of these a few years back as a more 'relaxed' black leather (as opposed to an MC or a prewar halfbelt design). I ended up falling into a steal of a deal on a black HWM which filled that role nicely, but if I hadn't, one of these, in a black, midweight leather with a satiny, deep-green lining really appealed... TBH, if I was gonig looking for an A2ish jacket again, I'd probably go for one of these over milspec. Such a great, simple look.

It's a nice but really under-represented style around here. Looks great.

And how can you disagree with The Fonz?

23da9aeddbee433bd8cb395ade1d3e14.jpg

Eeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I had my eye on one of these a few years back as a more 'relaxed' black leather (as opposed to an MC or a prewar halfbelt design)

Exactly. Having already 2 schott's and a half belt I was looking for a trim-fit everyday jacket with as simple lines as possible. My first idea was to get an A2 but I cannot wear any jacket without handwarmers, thus the choice was obvious.
While visiting aero I got a couple of swatches as I couldn't design on the leather. I was between the black vicenza and the battered steer, so I really mishandled the swatches: put them under shower, scratched them, stepped on them. The black vicenza was what I was looking for regarding wear and tear.
I got a black cotton lining. When I visited Aero I saw a black boardracer with an amazing blue tartan lining (Lochcharon wool). If I could get the same lining in cotton I wouldn't even think about it.

Edward

Bartender
Exactly. Having already 2 schott's and a half belt I was looking for a trim-fit everyday jacket with as simple lines as possible. My first idea was to get an A2 but I cannot wear any jacket without handwarmers, thus the choice was obvious.

Funnily enough, I prefer handwarmers over patches, but I never actually use them for anything. Jacket would just look odd to me withoutg them, though.

While visiting aero I got a couple of swatches as I couldn't design on the leather. I was between the black vicenza and the battered steer, so I really mishandled the swatches: put them under shower, scratched them, stepped on them. The black vicenza was what I was looking for regarding wear and tear.
I got a black cotton lining. When I visited Aero I saw a black boardracer with an amazing blue tartan lining (Lochcharon wool). If I could get the same lining in cotton I wouldn't even think about it.

It's hard to beat the cotton drill for sheer durability.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are they trim-fitting jackets? Reason I ask is because of the one on the Aero Sales page that I've gazed at every day for the last month or so. It's a size 40 and I take a 38-39 and I'm wondering if I could get away with it, especially considering the current exchange rate.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Are they trim-fitting jackets? Reason I ask is because of the one on the Aero Sales page that I've gazed at every day for the last month or so. It's a size 40 and I take a 38-39 and I'm wondering if I could get away with it, especially considering the current exchange rate.

No, definitely not a trim jacket. The fit is more like a 50's jacket, similar to a highwayman. My 30's HB is a size 40 and my Mariner is a size 38, they both allow some layering. The Happy Days is a size 36 (I asked for a bit wider waist to accommodate my beer belly). I think a size 40 would look big on you/

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, definitely not a trim jacket. The fit is more like a 50's jacket, similar to a highwayman. My 30's HB is a size 40 and my Mariner is a size 38, they both allow some layering. The Happy Days is a size 36 (I asked for a bit wider waist to accommodate my beer belly). I think a size 40 would look big on you/
Thanks. I have a LHB that's labeled a 38: when I bought it, I had requested that it be a tad larger (39) but the purchase was through the former U.S. dealer Mark Moye who may or may not have done it and who disappeared right after I got it. So, all I know is that the jacket is a perfect fit and that I can layer it with a light sweater. I was looking at the one on the Aero page just now and see it's 19.5 in. in the shoulders, which would be way too big on me. Sigh.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thanks. I have a LHB that's labeled a 38: when I bought it, I had requested that it be a tad larger (39) but the purchase was through the former U.S. dealer Mark Moye who may or may not have done it and who disappeared right after I got it. So, all I know is that the jacket is a perfect fit and that I can layer it with a light sweater. I was looking at the one on the Aero page just now and see it's 19.5 in. in the shoulders, which would be way too big on me. Sigh.

well, know it's a perfect time to order a new jacket. I saw at the Aero website that you can pay straight away (a "pay now" option). This year I have already bought two jackets and a waistcoat and my next buy would be next year (either a B6 or a shearling lined Long Half Belt, I still cannot make up my mind). I'm closely following the euro-sterling exchange rate, probably I will have to order soon!

Mark

Practically Family
Really nice jacket. Length looks spot on to me, any longer would be too long! Besides as it breaks in it will loosen up and drape some. Used to love the Happy Days as a kid, remember thinking the Fonz was the coolest guy on the planet (until I came across Clint Eastwood in those spaghetti westerns)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe