Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand gun ownership in the U.S.

How many HAND guns do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to 5.

• 6 to 10.

• 11 to 25.

• 26 to 50, or more.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
Back in the early 1970's we had a group of friends, boys and girls, who did a lot of backpacking. One time we were out on the Appalachian Trail in the middle of nowhere. We made camp just off the trail at the edge of a field. While unpacking for the evening, out from my bedroll came a .44 Mag. that I always carried (but never "flashed" to my trail partners). One of the girls in the group was what could best be described as a "tree hugger", and really started in to me on having that gun. "What are you scared of ?", "why do you feel the need to have a gun ?", "what are you, some kind of killer?" were some of the comments she started to fling my way. Well, later that night, headlights appeared across that open field, and the red neck music started blaring from the eight-tracks in the pick-up's. Unbeknownst to us, we had managed to pick the "party spot" of the local drunks to camp near. Well, as fast as a bolt of lightning, that girl who gave me such a hard time climbed into my sleeping bag for "protection". And who says the right to carry a gun doesn't have benefits ! ;)

Best story I've heard all day.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
allpink4803.jpg

Okay, I enter the discussion again with one short comment: Extremely Disturbing

:rolleyes:

The ad isn't about the girl firing the gun it's about teaching personal responsibility. I'm reading the ad, not that the little girl is going to fire the gun, but that she's going to be responsible when she finds the gun.

I went over one of my cousin's house, and he had all his ammo and guns laid out in the living room. I asked him what about his 6 year old boy. He told me; "he knows not to touch or handle them".

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman -- that is one awesome pistol. :eusa_clap I really like that. Do you mind sending it to me? lol

Boy, next to the term "Pandora's Box" in the dictionary is this thread. :eek: ;)

Steve

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senator Jack said:
allpink4803.jpg

Okay, I enter the discussion again with one short comment: Extremely Disturbing

That's her gun and she shoots it... Well.

So why is it disturbing?

She's trained and responsible. I would trust her on the firing line next to me far more than many adults I know. She shoots with her parents and probably knows the manual of operation, principles of safety and principles of marksmenship better than 90% of this country.

Guns are not inherently bad, they are fairly simple machines that are perfectly safe if the rules are followed. Millions of children in this country have and do handle firearms safely every day, shooting, of any kind, is a fun and challenging sport. Heck, kids her age have been trusted with firearms, completely without adult supervision (once trained), since our country began.

Jack,

If there's a problem with kids drinking in their parent's company in this country, where there isn't in, say, France, then that's a problem with folks attitudes toward alcohol. What possible bearing does that have on an individual's ability to safely handle a firearm, especially with parental supervision?

Why shouldn't it be pink? My guns are blue, but I happen to like rosewood grips, what possible difference does one's personal taste in colors have, whether it's hats or anything else?

FDM,

As far as type of firearm goes, if a kid is safe with a .22 LR Chipmunk, why aren't they safe with a .223 AR? deciding on when to move a kid up in caliber/action type is as individual as any other choice. In this case, the recoil isn't that different, especially off the bench, and guns are no more or less safe based on muzzle velocity or capacity. That "these guns are good, those guns are bad" is what all this meaningless feel-good legislation is based on.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Funny, you can give a kid 10 year old a gun to teach him to be responsible, but if you give him wine to teach him to responsible with alcohol you risk a visit from the police and child services.

French kids get wine at dinner at 10 or so.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I think we've all been very civil here! :)

In Wally World the other day, I saw that there were some .22 rifles with pink synthetic stocks! I wasn't really looking at the guns, but just passed by and you durn sure can't miss 'em!!! I'm glad I hadn't eaten recently!!!

Now, I haven't been "into" modern guns in quite some time, and don't get gun magazines anymore, but when you pick one up, you will see ads like the pink gun one above, and of course, you will also see ads with almost-unclothed young ladies holding the latest "tactical" rifle with a dozen add-on doodads (which are all the rage now) every few pages. Like I said, I think Class is lacking these days...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PastimeSteve said:
Fatdutchman -- that is one awesome pistol. :eusa_clap I really like that. Do you mind sending it to me? lol

Boy, next to the term "Pandora's Box" in the dictionary is this thread. :eek: ;)

Steve
lol lol lol Kinda my thoughts too Steve, when I first started this. But folks here are civil and I trust in that civility,...so I figured, what the heck. It is really about gun ownership and how many of us exercise that constitutional right, not whether they are right or wrong.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I'm looking for a model 22

Fatdutchman said:
4" generally. Older ones can be found with 5" and even 6" barrels. The longer barrel doesn't really gain you much. Maybe a little more velocity, but that's it. Barrel length actually doesn't have anything really to do with accuracy (though people will cite a longer sighting radius). My grandfather carried one with a 2" barrel as a Sheriff's deputy during my youth in the '70's.

S&W has "reissued" a 1917 .45 with, I believe, a 5 1/2" barrel. Limited run, so you have to be quick!!!!!

Here's my #1 pistol (yes, it is a pistol). My S&W "model 22" .45acp. Classically styled and powerful (like me! :p ). In case of flood, fire, tornado, riot, revolution, or any other time the Shinola hits the fan, I'm grabbin' two things: my hat, and this gun.

Faithful1.jpg

Faithful2.jpg

Two of my favorite revolvers are .45acp Smiths too.

smith45s.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
A ten year old girl with a pink rifle and teddy bear isn't disturbing? Looking at it, I feel like I need a shower.

I don't think a ten year old with a rifle is disturbing as long as she understands basic safety. Presumably she's been taught how to handle it, not given it and told "go out to play."

-Viola

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Funny, you can give a kid 10 year old a gun to teach him to be responsible, but if you give him wine to teach him to responsible with alcohol you risk a visit from the police and child services.

Let's not get off topic about the minimum drinking age now.:eek:fftopic:

(...and I don't advocate lowering it to 10)

And if she were holding condoms that would be perverted.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Maybe so, I just think it could have been handled better. I have no idea where the ad came from. I think this kind of thing is counter productive. A FAR better ad might show the little girl with her father shooting something much more suitable....

Ever watch Jerry Miculek with his .45? Holy crap, the dude is fast.

I can pop out empties and slip in a new moon clip faster than I can change magazines with my .45 auto! Not as quickly as Miculek though.....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe