Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haircuts

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Does everybody (guys) here go to the barber shop for a haircut?

Me, I still go to Supercuts for my $12.00 haircut. I get a different hairstylist everytime I go, not by choice, but it just happens that way. I go there religiously every month. Clean cut: It's always the #2 all around - tapered, then straight cut (not rounded) at the back, with sideburns trimmed halfway, and the top trimmed proportionally. And a little gel for the finishing touch. :)

panamag8or

Practically Family
Gilbey said:
Does everybody (guys) here go to the barber shop for a haircut?

Me, I still go to Supercuts for my $12.00 haircut. I get a different hairstylist everytime I go, not by choice, but it just happens that way. I go there religiously every month. Clean cut: It's always the #2 all around - tapered, then straight cut (not rounded) at the back, with sideburns trimmed halfway, and the top trimmed proportionally. And a little gel for the finishing touch. :)

Go find a barber shop, man! You'll still pay the same $12 (or less), and you'll build a relationship with a good barber, in a much better atmosphere than a sterile chain place. Plus, by law, "stylists" can't give you that smooth straight-razor shave on the back of your neck.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, straight razor+hot towel+lather heater=Holy Trinity.

I used to go see a nice Dominican guy named Basilio for my haircuts. One day he was shaving my neck and someone across the shop said something or another about the trouble down there in '65.

I asked Basilio, "Were you there?"

He said, "Yes. I keeled a cawple guys."

While shaving my neck. With the straight razor 'n'at.

I don't go see Basilio anymore. But that's not the reason. If there were a civil war in New York, I would want him on my side.

S

Samsa

I haven't been to a barber in ages. Every few weeks I take a pair of clippers and cut my hair 3/8" all around.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
Go find a barber shop, man! You'll still pay the same $12 (or less), and you'll build a relationship with a good barber, in a much better atmosphere than a sterile chain place. Plus, by law, "stylists" can't give you that smooth straight-razor shave on the back of your neck.

Yeah, you're right. I was wondering why them stylists never use a straight razor for the behind my ears, sideburns, or on the backside. I always have to do them myself when I get home.

Going for a haircut is quite a relaxing experience for me. I always close my eyes and fall asleep as they snip snip. And when I wake up, it's done. :)

green papaya

One Too Many
I get free hair cuts from my brother

and I also give free hair cuts to other family members

I use preffessional electric hair clippers, various sized guards, scissors, a disposable razor, shaving cream

saves lots of time and money lol

Bebop

Practically Family
I have had so many bad haircuts that I stopped going to barbers about 6 or 7 years ago. I discovered that the electric clippers I use to keep my Schnauzer looking like a Schnauzer, work perfectly on my hair too. I do my own hair cuts in the mirror. I tried using human hair cutting clippers but they just don't cut as well as the dog clippers cut. Sounds crazy to use dog clippers but I think I look better than most barbers make me look. :)

I patronize a SuperCuts almost every week, but the guy who usually works on me (and it's almost always the same guy) has been there practically forever, an old South Korean Army vet who knows his way around both the new stuff and old-school barbering.

And I trust the guy completely on matters pertaining to hair, although we have a running mock-argument about him wanting to give me a full crewcut and me preferring a little more "insulation" for my scalp. (Gotta keep those nasty UV rays away from my brain, y'know!lol)

Nashoba

One Too Many
When he's home, hubby goes to a barber in town. The guy is retired air force and does a decent job. When we still lived in Ca he used to go to a gal at Moffett Field. She'd cut hair for years at PI and he never had to tell her what he wanted after the first time he went. He just had to tell her if he wanted any off the top. He'd had a barber like that in Alabama too. Still searching for the perfect one for him though. His cut isn't complicated but apparently it's hard to get right. He refuses to go to one of those chains though, they've screwed up his hair one too many times. I keep trying to convince him to let me have a go at it, but for some reason he doesn't trust me with it....[huh]

Fast

Familiar Face
I gave the fellow who cuts my hair my phone number. He has issues with his employers, but is one ot the two people who cut my hair the way I like it. He calls me when he leaves one shop and goes to another.

Carpe Diem
Fast

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My barber retired long ago. The only barbers left are on the verge of retiring...or death.

So I go to some cheap-cut hole and pay about $20 for a cut, shampoo, hot towel and scalp massage.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Can anyone recommend a Barber in Seattle? I've hit a few places but they don't know about Vintage hair and i'm left with only a so-so job.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I go to a beauty college and have a student cut my hair. It educates them and gives them good experience, and at $4, well, you get the picture. :D

J.B.

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
I go to a beauty college and have a student cut my hair. It educates them and gives them good experience, and at $4, well, you get the picture. :D

:D

altruism
has its place
but
barber students
will whakka yo face

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe