Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haircuts for the Follically-Challenged

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
So, I've seen a number of haircut threads trying to find how to get that “Golden Age” look and they all have great examples of men's haircuts from the 20s-40s. The problem for me, though, is all those men seem to have full heads of hair. I, on the other hand, do not. My hair seems to be migrating south for the winter. What's left, though, is very curly (when I grew it out long, it fell in ringlets) and likes to poof up in the back. I end up keeping it relatively short (about 1-1½ inches on top to about a half an inch in the back), but I was wondering what follically-challenged man did back then. Does anyone have any pictures of such a thing?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
You could just shave it all off. That's what I did. Eisenhower was known to do this during his time in the service; it both disguised his hair loss, and kept him cooler during his time in tropical climates.

I also believe that shaved heads were popular amongst some boxers of the period, although I haven't got the photos to back that assertion up.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I, too, can be counted amongst the ranks of the follically-challenged. Watching old movies and looking at photos I've noticed that balding men simply grew their hair long on top and plastered it down with pomade, just like men with full heads of hair. I've never seen a vintage "comb-over", though I'm sure it was done.
I think that the obsession with hair was a product of the 1950's and later decades. The same time during which young people stopped emulating their elders and mature men took to dressing like children.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Just got to thinking a bit more and remembered that many hollywood actors wore toupees; probably more at the insistance of the studios than because of any personal shame at being bald.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I can't even find any for those of us who aren't challenged up top (though the thick rug of hair on my head is an impediment more often than not)!

The search function is just really pretty bad.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Ah, a few years back a went to get my hair cut. I went into a classy salon and found that I had made my appointment with a beautiful young woman. She washed my hair gave me a massage, cut and styled. Then when she was almost completely done she told me that they sold Rogaine...This was the first inkling that I was following my father down the path of male pattern baldness.....considering her tact I found that her tip was smaller than I may have given her otherwise...

Today I have given up on denying my thinning. Many say I'm not when the topic comes up for some odd reason. I however can see it and know that at some point I will just deal with it and figure out a style for me. I will not however do the comb over that my father had for years....they make me shudder...rather shave it all off.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
My hair, too, is starting to take after my older relatives. I just tend to wear hats all the time; it works for me, I have more important things to worry about in life. I do tend to keep it cut fairly short though too.

-Allen

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
You could just shave it all off. That's what I did. Eisenhower was known to do this during his time in the service; it both disguised his hair loss, and kept him cooler during his time in tropical climates.

I also believe that shaved heads were popular amongst some boxers of the period, although I haven't got the photos to back that assertion up.

I'm not brave enough to try the "Captain Picard" cut yet. I usually settle for the 1960's "Mission Control" cut. Also known as the "Kris Craft"

David V

A-List Customer
I would not shave my head unless I had a particularly attractive shaped dome. I've seen some men with no less hair that I shave their heads and put one unattractive pumpkin on display.

My best advise is to keep it short. Not 'buzzed' just neat and trimmed.

Edward

Bartender
I've been doing the shaved head thing for over two years now. I realised when I was about 28 that my naturally fine hair had crossed the line to thinning (very common among academics of my generation, oddly enough [huh] ), and so I responded with buzzcuts that became shorter and shorter over time, until I ended up with a full shave. It's never been a problem for me - actually, my real regret is that I didn't shave it off completely as soon as I realised it was going. It's low maintenance, feels clean (if I don't shave it for a couple of days and get stubbly, it feels 'dirty' somehow), and women go crackers for it. [huh] Sure, if I could have a full head of hair, I probably would choose to again - I'd love a quiff. Still, if nothing else, the shaved head look, while it doesn't fit exactly into any one time period, it doesn't stand out as being entirely "wrong" either. It does lean towards the military look a touch, but it works for me. And there are period examples of it being done - Yul Brynner back in the fities, Eisenhower in the 40s.... and others.

B. F. Socaspi said:
The search function is just really pretty bad.

There is a sticky thread somewhere on using Google to search the Lounge - I actually find that if I use the words Fedora Lounge at the front end of any search in Google, it turns up relevant results pretty quickly.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Sadly, the leading men that were thin on top got toupees: Bogart, Astaire, etc.
However some balding character actors show how the Golden Age style was. James Gleason and Edward Brophie are two examples.

Sincerely,
The balding Wolf ;)

Lance Uppercut

Familiar Face
The toupee subject is a bit of an obsession of mine. Your average person would be stunned to learn just how many stars (both then and now) wear rugs.

Personally, I thing the stigma associated with this male fashion accessory (that's what I think it should really be considered) is unfair . . . women wear wigs and extensions without reproach. Don't even get me started about the double-standard that is breast augmentation as there is really no male equivalent.

Bogie and Astaire aside, Gene Kelly wore one as did Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne. George Burns wore one, of course, but not many people realize he sported one as early as the 1950's. Sinatra also started wearing a very discreet one in the late 50's. Chuck Heston wore one for decades as does James Caan. William Shatner started with a very nice toupee during the original Star Trek TV series. Let's not forget Sean Connery who's sported one since Dr. No. Burt Reynolds has worn some type of toupee/wig for practically his entire career. Tony Curtis and virtually the entire cast of BONANZA belonged to this same club at one time.

There are some VERY well known contemporary "stars" that sport toupees to varying degrees of aesthetic success: Nick Cage, John Travolta, Kevin James, Jeremy Piven and (I suspect) Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaughey just to name a few.

Edward

Bartender
There is a story that kicks around about Charlton Heston in the West End. Back in 99, Heston was in a show here in London. His character as meant to be balding, but rather than admit that he himself indeed wore a toupe and take it off for the part, Heston stubbornly insisted that he had a full head of hair, and spent hours in make-up having a bald-piece applied over the top of his rug. lol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Lance Uppercut, there are pec implants and other such things for men. Not to mention the gym sock in the trousers.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Mr. Uppercut, one more for your collection: Brendan Frazer.

As someone who's hair has been emigrating south for sometime I enjoy spotting those dubious on-screen hairlines. I agree about Affleck.

Due to the stigma of baldness in the entertainment world, especially during the periods we here are interested in, it's difficult to find our role models.

Like Edward I enjoy the convenience of the bone dome, though I sometimes feel it interferes with a "period" look. Perhaps I'll go look for a vintage toupe on Ebay.

I like the "boxer" angle, aside from the slight problem of the physique, and turning up to a do in boots and shorts.

mike

Call Me a Cab
the original terror-dome?!

10serial_still.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe