Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Combs

satindoll

New in Town
Sources for Hair Combs?

Hello girls
Have been reading all the great threads on hairstyle tips and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation on where I can find matching hair combs, not the flower kind?

I have several from the Diva Pinup that I purchased at the Hukilau this year and they're fantastic. But sometimes I would just like to have something a little plainer to hold my hair back on both sides. Once in a while I'll find molded plastic hair combs in different colors at flea markets, etc. but they're usually one of a kind. And I know you can buy the clear ones at craft stores and decorate them yourself. But I'd love to know if there's a place I could order matching pairs in various colors.

After searching Google for a while and not coming up with anything, I figured if anyone would know where to get them, it would be the ladies of the lounge!

Thanks

pattygoody

New in Town
satindoll said:
Hello girls
Have been reading all the great threads on hairstyle tips and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation on where I can find matching hair combs, not the flower kind?

I have several from the Diva Pinup that I purchased at the Hukilau this year and they're fantastic. But sometimes I would just like to have something a little plainer to hold my hair back on both sides. Once in a while I'll find molded plastic hair combs in different colors at flea markets, etc. but they're usually one of a kind. And I know you can buy the clear ones at craft stores and decorate them yourself. But I'd love to know if there's a place I could order matching pairs in various colors.

After searching Google for a while and not coming up with anything, I figured if anyone would know where to get them, it would be the ladies of the lounge!

Thanks

I found some plastic ones at Kmart...places like that have them in the hair accessories aisle, different sizes and colors. Try Walmart and the drugstores and Sally's, too!

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Places like CVS, Savon, Walmart, or Target in the Hair Isle should have general brown colors as well as possibly black. If you are looking for say red or a color like that I'm not sure where you could get them but you can alway take a color you don't like and paint them a color you do like and add a finishing clear coat on them. Hopefully that helps out.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
These may not be as plain as what you are looking for (or maybe they would in the more neutral color). Usually I use combs from my collection of Art Deco hair stuff but I found these the other day at Wal-Mart and just love them for an everyday type of thing...and for places that I may be walking around all day and don't really want to take a real 1920's piece out for. They come 2 to a pack, I got the grey and blue, they also had a rose color and hmm, I can't remember the other color.

combs.jpg

Anyway, they are metal and were very inexpensive, hold well, I want to say around $4 to $7 a pack, as I bought a few barettes, etc. in the same style so I can't remember exactly the cost of each specific product but they should not be much. You can see the size there in relation to my fingers.

satindoll

New in Town
I just knew I could count on the ladies here to steer me in the right direction!

Those combs from Walmart are very cute. And I like the idea of painting plain ones different colors. Can't believe I never thought of trying the big chain stores. :eek: For some reason I assumed they wouldn't have them.

Will definitely check out all your recommended sources.

The ones from Vermont Country Store look like they'd definitely do the trick as well.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I just love those Grip Tuth combs, in my experience, the best hands down. They have different sizes, colors (ok, well brown, black and clear) and they hold like nothing else will. I have some nice tortoise shell vintage combs, but they fall right out. The Grip Tuth's hold while dancing, and alot of hair too. They get my Thumbs Up!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Drugs shops such as Boots and Superdrug have them as well as Claires. I've seen bright colours in H&M too. I can only use them when my hair is curled though, they just slip right out when it's straight!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Dracca said:
These may not be as plain as what you are looking for (or maybe they would in the more neutral color). Usually I use combs from my collection of Art Deco hair stuff but I found these the other day at Wal-Mart and just love them for an everyday type of thing...and for places that I may be walking around all day and don't really want to take a real 1920's piece out for. They come 2 to a pack, I got the grey and blue, they also had a rose color and hmm, I can't remember the other color.

combs.jpg

Anyway, they are metal and were very inexpensive, hold well, I want to say around $4 to $7 a pack, as I bought a few barettes, etc. in the same style so I can't remember exactly the cost of each specific product but they should not be much. You can see the size there in relation to my fingers.

You and your perfect manicure!!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I was frustrated - I bought combs by Goody at the drug store, and they worked perfectly. Then I bought a second set after the dog chewed mine, and they are miserable. The teeth to the combs are too close together, so they can't hold enough hair.

What I do to keep my combs in, that works like a charm: twist the section slightly before pushing the comb in. But, with the closely spaced teeth, the combs can't get through my hair before filling up. I am now on the search for new combs. Thanks for the suggestions!

::edit:: just found these at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...rh=n:3760911,n:11057241,n:11057971,n:11058011

satindoll

New in Town
Wow, those are some nice combs! I really like the tortiseshell looking ones and the color called onyx. Looks sort of like abalone.

Am gonna have to get me some of those:)

Blondie

Practically Family
You can find the clear crystal ones on Ebay for super cheap, usually sold under bridal wear, i guess to keep the veil on.
I go thru them at a fast rate, i always seem to snap the teeth, and not being able to justify spending big bucks on them, i just bulk buy them thru ebay.
If you know anyone in Australia, they are available everywhere there, in every colour, for some strange reason they are hard to find in the US of A.[huh]

roselily

One of the Regulars
At beading stores you can find the metal kind- my hair is too heavy for the plastic ones.

They're made to be embellished- I used sterling, marcasite and seed pearls for my wedding (and made matching hairpins to boot) all for less than the price of one Judith Jack bobby pin!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a comb addict!

I find nice pairs of vintage ones on Ebay all the time! With metal decorations, with or without rhinestones. Some times plastic ones in interesting colors.
Since my everyday hairdo is pulled back with matching side combs, I have a LOT of them - I think I have about 20 pairs. Haven't counted them!
I find that if I put a bobby pin (the curved kind are best) in so that it is on either side of the teeth of the comb, it stays until I take it out. Putting hairspray on the teeth before inserting it helps a lot too.

This dealer always has lots of combs!
Simitra's Exquisite Things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe