Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For anyone interested: the gray silks are going on sale today at 12:00pm PST.

I received an e-mail from Gustin a couple of hours ago that their Grey Silk, with near-mythical status, was about to go on sale. Although I intended not to buy any more jeans as I already have too many already, I decided to back this one. At 12:05 pm PST, the Grey Silk had already reached 63% of the goal; so I decided to back it. At 12:14 pm I was thanked for backing the Grey Silk, and at 12:27 my credit card was charged. Hard to believe how quickly it sold out and am curious what the fuss with Grey Silk is all about. I decided to go with the straight again, primarily because I prefer the higher rise over the low rise of the slim. I wish that the slim were available without the low rise, but one cannot have everything. [huh] :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't get it either, Mr F. I think some denims seem to pick a bit of an aura on the community board - the Okayamas have it too - that means they sell out as soon as they go up. Glad to hear you got them though, I'll be interested to hear your opinion on them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, I'm thinking the Grey Silk might be better suited to Texas than Scotland, but we'll see. The only negative about my Okayama slim is the low rise - not a criticism of the low rise design but just saying that the higher rise is more comfortable with my frame.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You may well be right. Bit disappointed about the 32oz loomies failing to turn up, but quite fancy the blue x brown that are on the slate - 12oz to 14oz are fine weights for a Scottish summer!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You may well be right. Bit disappointed about the 32oz loomies failing to turn up, but quite fancy the blue x brown that are on the slate - 12oz to 14oz are fine weights for a Scottish summer!

12oz to 14oz are fine weights for a Texas winter! :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I doubt we'll see that any time soon. I think Gustin are more interested in moving into jackets. I'm not taken with their new chore coat at all. Just looks wrong to me.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I think Stephen Powell said the Grey Silks sold out in around 6 minutes. I did manage to snag a pair. :)

I have a question for those of you who have tried on the Slim and Straight cuts. I have a pair in 33 Straight and 32 Straight. I like how the 33 Straight fit from about halfway between the waistband and crotch, but wish they were a little tighter below that. I like how the 32 Straight fit from the crotch down. I can read the measurements on the Gustin page, but one thing it doesn't describe (and I have no idea how you would post a measurement for it) is how the fit is between the waist and crotch. What is that called, the upper block or something???

So if you have tried on both the Slim and Straight in the same waist, would you say the fit is similar above the crotch in both, or is it slim from the waist on down?

Or, does anyone have a pair in 33 Slim they are looking to sell to help me decide? lol

Andy B.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I don't get it either, Mr F. I think some denims seem to pick a bit of an aura on the community board - the Okayamas have it too - that means they sell out as soon as they go up. Glad to hear you got them though, I'll be interested to hear your opinion on them.

The odd thing is that they achieve that aura without much actual feedback on the denim. I was one of the lucky ones that scored a pair of grey silks in the second offering. My purchase was based on their mystique. They've arrived... and other than trying them on I've never worn them.

Part of it is that cotton / silk isn't well suited to what we call winter in Texas. Part of it is that they have more of a sheen than I expected (my bad - it is silk). Most of it is that my Natural2 Indigos and Okayamas have more character... and my Super Heavies are more comfortable. Leaving them (at best) fourth in my Gustin line up.

That's not to say that the grey silk are bad. They might get more wear over the summer (particularly if I can figure out a shirt to wear them with so I don't feel like I've stepped out of Goodfellas). I would put it this way... I've bought spare pairs of Natural2's and Okayamas. I saw that the grey silks were going on sale today and didn't bother going to the site. One pair is enough.

Just one man's opinion.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of my Okays as well, but the get equal wear with the Green Wefts. I kind of prefer 'blue with character' - something like the Jade - to a completely different colour run.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
"Part of it is that they have more of a sheen than I expected (my bad - it is silk). "

Although I don't have a pair of the grey silks, I have "heard" that the shine is minimized with wear. Maybe try a cold soak and wear them a bit roughly..

andy b.

One of the Regulars
No, that's probably not far off the association with some folks wearing Nantucket Reds. :D
I backed them because, well, I have no problem wearing madras pants, as well as some other odd colors, and I'm not a golfer.

wanz

One of the Regulars
"Part of it is that they have more of a sheen than I expected (my bad - it is silk). "

Although I don't have a pair of the grey silks, I have "heard" that the shine is minimized with wear. Maybe try a cold soak and wear them a bit roughly..

That's great to hear. I suspect that the grey silks will get more wear as the warm weather knocks my heavier denim out of the rotation. I'll be interested to see how they break-in.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
The Trucker jackets are starting to arrive, anyone have one to show? Also, They released a real nice denim today, a 15oz Zimbabwe cotton denim. Like'em or not they are definitely keeping things interesting

Mr Plastik

New in Town
The Trucker jackets are starting to arrive, anyone have one to show? Also, They released a real nice denim today, a 15oz Zimbabwe cotton denim. Like'em or not they are definitely keeping things interesting

I was notified earlier this month that cutting for my Trucker Jacket (Waxed Brown) started on the 7th. Shipping looks like it will happen in April.

If no one provides a picture by then, and given that I chose the right size, I'd be happy to post a few fit pics and detailed pics as well :)

Mr P

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

There are loads of pics being posted on the Gustin community board, and they're looking good - though I'm not sure about their chore jacket. For my sins, I backed the Zimbabwe, I'm intrigued by them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe