Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Boats - like them or dislike them?

celtic

A-List Customer
can anyone comment on the Florshiem longwing sizing?

i have never owned a pair of Florshiems, and when I stopped at a local DSW I tried on every pair of Florsheims they had...and it seemed that there is a wide variety of lasts they use...for instance, their modern wingtips felt perfect, but I could barely get my feet into their boots or loafers of the same size.

and of course they don't carry the Imperial Kenmoor, so I couldn't try any on...

I'd love to keep my eyes open for a cheap older pair on ebay, but I have no idea how they fit...

I looked at the zappos reviews, but I have been stung before believing what I read there..I'd much rather hear from you blokes.
any help would be great!

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
pablocham said:
I have always loved Gunboats, but never heard that term before. My grandfather wore them all his life. I have two pair of giant Florsheim Imperial wingtips from the 60s-70s that are exactly like his. I don't wear them too often because they are so giant and heavy, but whenever I find a pair in my size at a thrift store I can't help but buy them.

47b8dc34b3127cceb54d7f5f46e20000002.jpg

Pablo, I think I just bought your shoes. I stopped by my friendly neighborhood thrift store on the way home from work today and found a pair of burgundy Florsheim Imperial gunboats that look just like those you posted (well, a little less polished and with flat laces). My other burgundy brogues cramp my toes something awful and my feet hurt by the end of the day, so I've been on the lookout for a new pair. I think I'm going to like these.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I had a pair of these in high school, but they were cordovan and I had nothing with which to wear them. I think I'll have to find them or a suitable replacement, they're still fairly common in thrift stores around here (unlike decent suits!).

Is there a special trick to polishing all that wingtip detailing? How about disinfecting old shoes?

-Dave

David Conwill said:
I had a pair of these in high school, but they were cordovan and I had nothing with which to wear them. I think I'll have to find them or a suitable replacement, they're still fairly common in thrift stores around here (unlike decent suits!).

Is there a special trick to polishing all that wingtip detailing? How about disinfecting old shoes?

-Dave

Lysol spray. ;) :p There is also the spray powder stuff they use in bowling alleys.
508.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
WildCelt said:
Pablo, I think I just bought your shoes. I stopped by my friendly neighborhood thrift store on the way home from work today and found a pair of burgundy Florsheim Imperial gunboats that look just like those you posted (well, a little less polished and with flat laces). My other burgundy brogues cramp my toes something awful and my feet hurt by the end of the day, so I've been on the lookout for a new pair. I think I'm going to like these.

Do they have a wrinkled creased or a beef roll type crease?...if the latter they may be shell cordovan...

Celtic - gunboats can be generous in width often as C could pass for a D width.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wore them in high school. On more than one occasion, while running for a bus or some such, the inside heel of one shoe would crack on the ankle bone of the other foot. OUCH!!!!!

Today I have one pair of Alden cordo long wings which I probably haven't worn in twenty years. I much prefer the slimmer lasts.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. From their commercials, I had no idea that zappos.com carried anything I'd be interested in. A pair of Florsheim Imperial Kenmoors (13 EEE) are definitely on my wish list now.

Venturian

New in Town
I like them.

I like them. I have a pair of black AE Leeds, some Alden longwings, and just yesterday picked up a pair of Florshiem Imperial black pebble longwings from a thrift store for $9.25.

pipvh

Practically Family
I'd never heard the term 'gunboat' before, but apparently I love gunboats, particularly of the gigantic brogue variety. They look perfect with most kinds of trouser and always seem to add a sort of off-kilter, brutal elegance.

So far I've owned a pair of plain Alan McAfees (eaten by Rottweiler while on my foot), some McAfee side-buckle ankle-boots, Trickers wingtips and some mint early 80s Florsheim Imperial wingtips. I think that walking past Trickers on Jermyn Street and marveling at the heavy soles is one of my first shoe-related memories.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Note: l don't use the term gunboat like most people use it. Most people use it meaning a double soled brogue (preferably with 360 welt), but l use it to describe any big bulky leather dress shoo.

Anyway....here are some Vass gunboats i've bought over time. l'll post more another day.

Vass3636group.jpg

1st = burgundy shell cordovan
2nd = medium brown boxcalf
3rd = dark brown shell cordovan

l reckon they are the best looking shoos l own. The 3636 last is something very very special.

The Shooman

Practically Family
pipvh said:
Splendid! Particularly the boxcalf.
That medium brown boxcalf gleams in the sun like nothing you've ever seen before, especially an hour or two before dark. Stunning patina in real life (photo's do no justice to the patina).

pipvh

Practically Family
Just out of interest, is there a name for what I think of as a very British sub-species of the gunboat: the country shoe with commando soles?

Also thanks for beef-roll tip: apparently my Florsheims are shell cordovan (which I had suspected). Which is nice.

Geesie

Practically Family
These shoes are exactly what my father has been wearing for the last 30-40 years (same two pairs - one black, one brown).

No offense to you all, but they're the reason I never considered wingtips, since I thought that the five pound sole was mandatory. I like the brogueing on wingtips, but I just don't like bulky clothing, period.

Matter of personal taste, mind you. If it's your style, that's great. The 40s - 50s "big" look in men's fashion was just never my thing, from broad suits to heavy shoes.

filfoster

One Too Many
Sink the Gun Boats

I must count myself fortunate to never wear them again. I paid my dues for over 15 years. I wore them every day as part of my work ensemble: Florsheim Imperials and a suit. I am just not that 'sole-full' anymore. Too much of a good thing. I will never again wear wingtips for the same reason.
Now, it's cap toes or plain military style oxfords with a spit shine.
Fare-thee-well, gun-boat-a-philes. I will not be taking your size from the shelf again, unless I must go out on a particularly windy day or deep sea dive. On the other hand, my leg muscles are much less defined now.

The Shooman

Practically Family
l can understand both of your feelings. last night l was looking at pics of well dressed blokes in elegant suits and elegant dress shoos. My immediate thought was; `wouldn't it look strange if these blokes wore gunboats with their ltalian suits.

No gunboats with fine suits. l made that mistake once and never did it again.

Gunboats with sportscoat, especially a heavier coat. Not a city shoo, it's a suberbs and/or country shoo.

That being said...l have a feeling that l may be able to pull off the burgundy shell cordovan Vass `windsor' model (above) with a heavier fabric suit. BUT, l may be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld