Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greg Field vs Himel vs Freewheeler vs Goodwear SHINKI

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
There are only three types of Shinki horse fronts as far as I know.
Shinki standard, is the full aniline, naked hide, “see through dye”. This one can be as thick as 4oz for the bigger horse, but will most likely have harness scars and branding as larger horses are used for heavy work. Only Greg uses this, and black only, because the other colours will show scars due to the see through dye (like wood stain).
This is my brown Shinki standard, almost 4 oz, with branding marks:
View attachment 343551
View attachment 343553
The second type is the Vintage Waxed, I believe the marketing term for this is Oil Tanned. And the last variety would be Pigment, or teacore.
These two are marketed as more expensive products but they will not age like the “cheaper” full aniline. And they are usually thinner. Jacket maker will be able to produce more consistent products with these two hides because the paint finish covers up the scars. But if you don’t mind the scars like me, Shinki standard, full aniline, is the bomb!
I bought my Shinkis from this place. I will post my scarred jacket when it’s done.
https://shop.hashimotoindustry.com/en
Interesting link to Hashimoto Industry but none of their Shinki look anything like the stuff I have, or see online from various makers. Do they do special batches for jacket makers?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Interesting link to Hashimoto Industry but none of their Shinki look anything like the stuff I have, or see online from various makers. Do they do special batches for jacket makers?
Nice jackets you got there! I’m glad I’m not the only one with multiple of the same jackets but different leathers.
I’m not sure what GW uses for hides. I am still on the hunt for a Shinki GW, but none seems to pop up on the classifies, or I am always too late.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Nice jackets you got there! I’m glad I’m not the only one with multiple of the same jackets but different leathers.
I’m not sure what GW uses for hides. I am still on the hunt for a Shinki GW, but none seems to pop up on the classifies, or I am always too late.
They are rarely sighted.

Cornelius

Practically Family
Again, Shinki (Hikaku) is the name of the tannery that produces some 50 + types of leather that are intended for a very wide range of purposes & are tanned accordingly. Some of which are thus vegetable tanned, some chrome tanned; some are more water repellent, some less, et cetera, et cetera.
Makers who say they're using Shinki don't really say anything at all. It is an information of no actual use which is exactly why we're reading so many conflicting observations about the so called "Shinki" jackets. They might as well be saying "We're using leather".

To get an answer to your question, you'd first have to find out the name of the specific product the maker in question has purchased from Shinki Hikaku tannery.

Thanks for this reply. It all makes much more sense now if one just replaces the word "Shinki" with, say, "Horween". Previously, from all the raving, I assumed Shinki was the name of some particular traditional Japanese horsehide tanning process & not simply a tannery itself.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
But if you don’t mind the scars like me, Shinki standard, full aniline, is the bomb!

I'm a huge fan of the full aniline. I asked Greg to use his smoothes full aniline hide for my jacket. This is what it looked like 9 months ago when new:

C0986FD8-523F-43F4-B127-66769D58762C.jpeg
403F6BD3-052A-4EAB-A2F8-1A3E77C6758B.jpeg

This is what it looks like now. You can see some nice grain is starting to pop here and there:

81F350F9-DDB3-4048-993D-104ABA1BC11E.jpeg
3745E2F9-DEF0-4EA9-B8A5-367034DE25EE.jpeg
DF50DFB2-66AC-4676-92BE-AB951B33EEA5.jpeg

Riu

Practically Family
I'm a huge fan of the full aniline. I asked Greg to use his smoothes full aniline hide for my jacket. This is what it looked like 9 months ago when new:

View attachment 343682 View attachment 343683

This is what it looks like now. You can see some nice grain is starting to pop here and there:

View attachment 343684 View attachment 343685 View attachment 343686

That is just gorgeous! One day I have to get my hands on a Shinki, it's just too beautiful not to get one. What's the thickness of that one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe