Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great stuff avail in Japan

Vic

One of the Regulars
I apologize if this topic already exists (I couldn't find it).

Over the years, I've noticed that Japan gets a lotta really cool stuff that is not available in The States or Europe.

Companies like Aero and Schott have jacket models that are only sold in Japan. George Cox, UK, has entire lines of shoes that UK customers don't even know about b/c they're only sold in Japan.

There are also great collaborations between many of these designers and Japanese companies which, again, are only avail in Japan.

Furthermore, there are Japanese Companies like The Real McCoy's that are doing very cool Buco repros.

Anyhow, I figured I'd post of few pics of leather jackets available in Japan. Some of these are The Real McCoy's and some are Aero Leathers jackets that I've never seen in The States or Europe.

Aero Daytona:
Daytonaup1-1.jpg

Daytonaup21-1.jpg

Aero Hollywood:
Hollywood-Aero-1.jpg

The Real McCoy's (Buco):
buco-jp-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

rmc-bj4002-050-1-1.jpg

Trojan repro:
jp-trojan-1.jpg

Buco repro:
59199198-2.jpg

(of course Legendary USA and Lost Worlds both make Buco repros, but I think the Real McCoy's Brown & black ones are great looking!)

Edward

Bartender
I've long been a fan of the Schott Perfecto look (first because of Alice Cooper, then as I got older it was Joey Ramone, then Brando...), but of late I've really come to love the Buco D-pocket style too... I suppose as much as anything because it's just that little bit different today. That and photos of Elvis making one look the business didn't hurt.... ;)

You can't beat the classic appeal of black leather and chrome fitments on either style of jacket, though again I have also come to love the look of polished brass with black too. There was a time I'd never have considered anything like this in borwn, but now I find myself kinda hankerin' after an Aero King of the Road in brown, with a Bootlegger-style halfbelt back, and possibly button cuffs..... I'm gagging to visit Tokyo and spend a goodly amount of time in the leather jacket shops, even if I do doubt that I'd be able to afford anything out there! :rolleyes:

Vic

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I've long been a fan of the Schott Perfecto look (first because of Alice Cooper, then as I got older it was Joey Ramone, then Brando...), but of late I've really come to love the Buco D-pocket style too... I suppose as much as anything because it's just that little bit different today. That and photos of Elvis making one look the business didn't hurt.... ;)

You can't beat the classic appeal of black leather and chrome fitments on either style of jacket, though again I have also come to love the look of polished brass with black too. There was a time I'd never have considered anything like this in borwn, but now I find myself kinda hankerin' after an Aero King of the Road in brown, with a Bootlegger-style halfbelt back, and possibly button cuffs..... I'm gagging to visit Tokyo and spend a goodly amount of time in the leather jacket shops, even if I do doubt that I'd be able to afford anything out there! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have a D-pocket that I love. Sears leather shop from the mid-50s. I do prefer Buco over the Perfecto look...and like you say, the brass-on-black has really grown on me too (a result of Cry-Baby and Langlitz). Buco actually mixed metals on their hardware (just as the Aero Indian does), and I like that look a lot as well.

I also have to agree that brown has grown on me a lot, as it really shows the textures. I would love the Elvis model Aero (or, even moreso, the Daytona one I posted above) in the regular brown FQHH.

Haha! I'd be afraid to visit a leather jacket shop in Japan...I'd come back beyond broke :)

Vic

One of the Regulars
Silver Dollar said:
I really like the Real McCoys Buco in brown. The black jacket looks a bit too shiny for my tast. It makes it look like leatherette.

I like the sheen, but I do understand what you're saying.

Edward

Bartender
Vic said:
Yeah, I have a D-pocket that I love. Sears leather shop from the mid-50s. I do prefer Buco over the Perfecto look...and like you say, the brass-on-black has really grown on me too (a result of Cry-Baby and Langlitz). Buco actually mixed metals on their hardware (just as the Aero Indian does), and I like that look a lot as well.

Funny, I think it was CryBaby that did it for me too... Eventually, I'd be quite tempted by an Aero Indian with all-brass.... if memory serves, that was thed closest in Aero's line to what Johnny Depp wore back then.

I also have to agree that brown has grown on me a lot, as it really shows the textures. I would love the Elvis model Aero (or, even moreso, the Daytona one I posted above) in the regular brown FQHH.

It's a nice jacket, though oddly (I posted a thread on this a year or two ago...) it seems to my eye that their King of the Road is actually closer to what Elvis wore - at least, in the '56 photos of him on the Harley. He did, of course, have a lot of leather jackets over the years, so it is possible that they have chosen to replicate one from a later period Elvis. Wish I could find a photo of the one that inspired them for comparison.

Haha! I'd be afraid to visit a leather jacket shop in Japan...I'd come back beyond broke :)

Oh aye, my bank manager would be lining up a firing squad for me, no doubt... lol

Vic

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Funny, I think it was CryBaby that did it for me too... Eventually, I'd be quite tempted by an Aero Indian with all-brass.... if memory serves, that was thed closest in Aero's line to what Johnny Depp wore back then.

It's a nice jacket, though oddly (I posted a thread on this a year or two ago...) it seems to my eye that their King of the Road is actually closer to what Elvis wore - at least, in the '56 photos of him on the Harley. He did, of course, have a lot of leather jackets over the years, so it is possible that they have chosen to replicate one from a later period Elvis. Wish I could find a photo of the one that inspired them for comparison.

Oh aye, my bank manager would be lining up a firing squad for me, no doubt... lol

Aero doesn't really have anything too similar to Depp's jacket in that movie. His jacket was very simple, but you could certainly go all brass with the Indian and then also customize to have them remove the flap pocket & chest pocket...removing those two pockets would get you pretty close.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing about the Aero Elvis...but Aero is certainly more inclined toward doing their own interpretations...Inspired is definitely a better term for their jackets than replicated...I've never seen them do any dead-on replications (not a knock on Aero at all, just an observation...I love Aero & I think it's great that they're doing things their own way). So, I'm with you...I have no idea whether there was another jacket of his that inspired them OR if it was more of an arbitrary choice, on their part, to call it their "Elvis" model...But, regardless, it is probably my favorite of their motorcycle jackets (next to the Daytona)...and also the most unique, i think.

Vic

One of the Regulars
Vic said:
Aero doesn't really have anything too similar to Depp's jacket in that movie. His jacket was very simple, but you could certainly go all brass with the Indian and then also customize to have them remove the flap pocket & chest pocket...removing those two pockets would get you pretty close.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing about the Aero Elvis...but Aero is certainly more inclined toward doing their own interpretations...Inspired is definitely a better term for their jackets than replicated...I've never seen them do any dead-on replications (not a knock on Aero at all, just an observation...I love Aero & I think it's great that they're doing things their own way). So, I'm with you...I have no idea whether there was another jacket of his that inspired them OR if it was more of an arbitrary choice, on their part, to call it their "Elvis" model...But, regardless, it is probably my favorite of their motorcycle jackets (next to the Daytona)...and also the most unique, I think.

On second thought, Aero's plain "motorcycle" jacket, in black FQHH, is really similar to Depp's jacket in cry-baby if you custom-remove the flap pocket & chest pocket. It's got all brass hardware, including belt...It would save one step on customizing because it doesn't have the mixed hardware like the Indian.

But, if it were me, I'd just add a belt to the Daytona (which is also brass on black), and then you get the extra touches (studs) at the zippers and epaulettes. I'm sure some would find it too busy...but I think it's a nice touch (Beck & Buco both had them too). And I'd leave the pockets "as is" on that model b/c I think the chest pocket looks good on it (and there is no flap pocket).

Haha now ya got me thinking! But, in truth, I'd have a hard time choosing between a Daytona+belt OR a Brown Elvis OR a Brown Hercules...which I also love...

Grant Fan

Practically Family
As a person who has been to Japan an number of times I will back you up on the fact that they have some great things. Unfortunately as I am taller than many of the men there I certainly do not fit into anything they have to offer for the ladies. But I do admire clothes while I am visiting.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I'm a long time fan of many Japanese jackets. There are models from the 80's right up through current catalogs of jackets only available in Japan that I would almost (so very almost) kill for.

Sigh.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
With Eastman Leather's tie-up with Buzz Rickson there is now a European outlet for the Buzz Rickson jackets. I really like B2 flying jacket:
http://www.buzzricksons.com/product_info.php?products_id=31
But the price :eek:

Also, there is a site called superdenim.co.uk that stocks some fantastic Japanese brands including Real McCoys, Joe McCoys, Buco, Lee Japan, etc. Again, very pricey... but I guess cheaper than the plane ticket to Japan.

I hadn't seen those Aero styles before, amazing!

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Rakuten

You can order items fairly easily from Japan by using this website: http://en.rakuten.co.jp/ Although I prefer to use local purveryors of Japanese items such as Blue in Green in New York or Self Edge in San Francisco, these places tend to sell out their stock rather quickly. The rakuten website has improved in ease of use over the years. Like any search engine, there are many ways to find what you want. Plus, it's fun just looking.

Vic

One of the Regulars
Elmonteman said:
You can order items fairly easily from Japan by using this website: http://en.rakuten.co.jp/ Although I prefer to use local purveryors of Japanese items such as Blue in Green in New York or Self Edge in San Francisco, these places tend to sell out their stock rather quickly. The rakuten website has improved in ease of use over the years. Like any search engine, there are many ways to find what you want. Plus, it's fun just looking.

The Rakuten stuff all seems very high, though. For example, a pair of Bass Weejun Logans that would be $99 in The States, are like $163 over there.

I've found the same thing w/ virtually all of the items that are available here as well. Every item seems to be marked up at least 30-40%.

One crazy thing I've notice is how some crazy-expensive things are simply SOLD OUT. They have a $2,300 Buco repro (twice the price of Lost Worlds) and it's completely sold out...

Vic

One of the Regulars
JakeHolman said:
With Eastman Leather's tie-up with Buzz Rickson there is now a European outlet for the Buzz Rickson jackets. I really like B2 flying jacket:
http://www.buzzricksons.com/product_info.php?products_id=31
But the price :eek:

Also, there is a site called superdenim.co.uk that stocks some fantastic Japanese brands including Real McCoys, Joe McCoys, Buco, Lee Japan, etc. Again, very pricey... but I guess cheaper than the plane ticket to Japan.

I hadn't seen those Aero styles before, amazing!

There's actually more where that came from. Wish I could find the site I got those pictures from (put them on my computer about a year ago).

That Superdenim site is a good resource. There's also Rockers Speed Shop in Paris (www.rockerspeedshop.com/ )...They've got the best of what The States have to offer, plus a lot of great stuff from UK, Scotland, Japan, etc...That store is just kind of an overall Mecca for cool things!

BTW, that's a cool B2!

Vic

One of the Regulars
Grant Fan said:
As a person who has been to Japan an number of times I will back you up on the fact that they have some great things. Unfortunately as I am taller than many of the men there I certainly do not fit into anything they have to offer for the ladies. But I do admire clothes while I am visiting.

lol lol

Vic

One of the Regulars
Came across this today on a Japanese site. Brilliant!

Looks like a black/brown 2-tone Trojan repro...but no belt or loops.

Almost everything was in Japanese, but it did have the word "Road Dueler" next to it.

RoadDueler.jpg

edit: upon 2nd look at my 1st post in this thread, it looks a lot like the second-to-last pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe