Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Great Coat" in the middle of summer

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Okey-dokey, I just mentioned it as when I was in the shop last week there were some "air force" blue overcoats there. I didn't look at them closely, but I imagine they're ex-services - maybe RNoAF.
If you've got the time for it, I would be real happy if you took a closer look, Smithy. Thanks ol' chap:)
What I am after is a coat like the one Speedster found. Thanks Speedster!! But right now they only have them size small. And (as you know;) ) that's not my size. XL or XXL would be more precise.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
No problem Spitfire, I'll have a shufti this week for you.

Alternatively you could source a post war RNZAF greatcoat as the pattern is virtually the same. You could then get a set of King's Crown RAF buttons for it and it'd be mighty close to the real thing.

Have a look at this example (wrong size I know) on NZ's equivalent of eBay...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-collectables/Militaria/Uniforms/auction-104648236.htm

They are fairly common in NZ and cheap generally.

Just another idea!

Flieger

Practically Family
Not Torchwood, but you get the idea: :)

Coat_01.jpg

The sweater on this picture gives it a nice RAF-touch (IMHO).
Coat_02.jpg

:eek:fftopic:
Maybe it would be a good idea to share some links to our favourite military surplus stores around the globe?

/F

Edward

Bartender
Flieger said:
:eek:fftopic:
Maybe it would be a good idea to share some links to our favourite military surplus stores around the globe?

/F

That's a great idea.... ISTM that often a lot of the military designs from the 40s and therabouts that were in production for years make army surplus stores a cheap place to find these things - providing, that is, that you weren't too picky about it being actual 40s manufacture as long as the basic design was the same. I just wish we could find 40s style A2s so cheaply!!

FWIW, I've bought from Surplus and Adventure before with goods results. Silvermans.co.uk (also a walk-in shop in the East End, though not if memory serves open Saturdays) are worth a gander - great range of stuff, though if you can find the same item elsewhere you will typically finbd it cheaper. Some of my best surplus deals have come from Damage 311 in Camden Market here in London, if anyone is local. (We don't want no trouble here).

Edward

Bartender
Flieger said:
I don't look much like Jack Harkness either... that's why I wrote "inspired by". :D HIS coat is way cooler though but I guess that's a custom job based on the RAF great coat?
jack05.jpg

jack06.jpg

/F

That's the one.... Same coat as he wears in the series, though the trousers don't look quite the same to me - in the show he wears button braces instead of a belt with them and I'm sure they're slightly higherwaisted (though the cut is the same). The shoes there are modern, but I think that's right - not to get into all the backstory, but Jack has lived right through the 20th century, and I imagine he'd have worn out a fair few pairs of shoes in that time! Probably the differences in detail are due to these seemingly being publicity shots taken at a later stage. Anythehow..... That coat is meant to be a standard issue RAF officer's greatcoat, and to my untrained eye it looks correct (I'm gonig from memory here on the basis of a genuine original I have in my parents' loft - as a kid I collected ww2 and general militaria for some years; a guy my dad worked with years ago gifted me a genuine WW2 RAF greatcoat that belonged to an officer called Dobbs (I think - we're going back over twenty years now) who I know flew with the Dam Busters and was named in the book). I'd expect though that as this piece is such a core part of Jack's costume - I don't recall there being (m)any episodes of either Torchwood or Doctor Who that he appears in where he doesn't wear it at least part of the time - i has been made to measure according to the original design, and is likely tailored in at the waist etc for a more flattering fit to the individual. Buying a surplus version that looks as close as though is gonig to be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier than trying to replicate somethingl ike Bogie's Casablanca trench!!

Flieger

Practically Family
I see four rows of buttons on Harkness coat but only three on the RAF-one in Speedsters example. Harkness also has buttons on the sleeves. I also get the feeling (but this might be a matter of photo perspective) that Harkness coat is a couple of inches longer then the RAF-coat?

/F

Edward

Bartender
Flieger said:
I see four rows of buttons on Harkness coat but only three on the RAF-one in Speedsters example. Harkness also has buttons on the sleeves. I also get the feeling (but this might be a matter of photo perspective) that Harkness coat is a couple of inches longer then the RAF-coat?

/F

Button on the sleeves.... yes, I don't see those on the RAF surplus one - I guess those could be added (I don't remember enough to know whether they were on there as standard in the 40s....). As for the other buttons, I think it's a question of perspective - looks to me like the buttons on Harkness' coat that we don't see on the other one are higher up, and under the lapels of the coat (i.e. the button that the lapel fastens onto when the coat is being worn fully done up). I see what you mean about the legnth on Harknesses.... I can't tell from those photos. Way back in WW1, I know, the standard issue greatcoats were definitely a long length, reaching almost to the ankles. When Thomas Burberry designed the trenchcoat, he deliberately went for a shorter length, cutting them to the knee. AFAIK - and again going from memory from the one hanging in my parents' loft - even by WW2 the RAF SI greatcoat was still the longer length. I'd suspect that Harkness' is the same length as the standard issue, but is likely to have a more tailored waist (assuming it has been made to measure) than the standard, which could give the impression of greater length. Purely speculation, though!

Flieger

Practically Family
I think you are right, Edward - The top row of buttons on the RAF-coat are hidden by the collar in most shots.

Anyway, my brain is starting to convince me I need the RAF-coat now! :eusa_doh:

/F

Edward

Bartender
Flieger said:
I think you are right, Edward - The top row of buttons on the RAF-coat are hidden by the collar in most shots.

Anyway, my brain is starting to convince me I need the RAF-coat now! :eusa_doh:

/F

Do it! I'll feel less guilty about ordering one if I'm not the only one! :p

Hal

Practically Family
Edward said:
I like the change of the seasons, myself - it's nice to have the variety... I hate the heat of high Summer, though -benig a Celt, I'm not designed to cope in heat greater than about 21 degrees C....

I agree a thousandfold with these sentiments and with those of the others who prefer autumn/winter clothes to spring/summer ones, though in other respects short and decreasing day-length can be depressing. A friend of Flieger's nationality told me that in the cold weather one can do something about thermal comfort, while in the heat one can do nothing - how right he is. I hope Flieger enjoys wearing this coat in the appropriate seasons - it looks great.

Flieger

Practically Family
Hal said:
A friend of Flieger's nationality told me that in the cold weather one can do something about thermal comfort, while in the heat one can do nothing - how right he is. I hope Flieger enjoys wearing this coat in the appropriate seasons - it looks great.

Thanks Hal. Your friend speaks the truth. However, It seem to be only a few people that actually agree on that sentiment... othervise northern Scandinavia would be packed with people wearing nice coats and such... it isn't. :D

/F

Edward

Bartender
Hal said:
I agree a thousandfold with these sentiments and with those of the others who prefer autumn/winter clothes to spring/summer ones, though in other respects short and decreasing day-length can be depressing.

Maybe just my inner goth trying to get out again (one doe love a good gothic garbed outing now and then), but I always seem to be much more depressed by the weather in the Summer.... though ther'es something you just can't beat about being out walking on an unseasonably cool, drizzly day in late July before spending the evening in front of a roaring fire as a full on thunderstorm kicks off outside. All I need is some rain and a young lady to enjoy it with! :)

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
If you've got the time for it, I would be real happy if you took a closer look, Smithy. Thanks ol' chap:)
What I am after is a coat like the one Speedster found. Thanks Speedster!! But right now they only have them size small. And (as you know;) ) that's not my size. XL or XXL would be more precise.

lol Yearh, i guess it will take a pretty determined effort to try to squeeze you into a size small. I didn't even notice that they only had them in small.

Flieger

Practically Family

Edward

Bartender
I find a lot of ex military wear, especially anything vintage, kinda small... I mean, I wear a 42R in a suit, I'm not exactly what you'd call big as such.... there must be some very tiny soldiers out there if there are Guards dress uniform tunics at chest 36"!! :eek:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:

Thanks Flieger...don't know about the sizes. My A2 is a 52 and I am 1,94 high with matching weight. So I believe I need larger than L - allthough they are "generously cut".[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe