Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got White?

IMG_1456.jpg

I can abide the Crimson one but that other one is hideous!

barrowjh

One Too Many
JTL, you taught us well! I have figured out that there are some keys to the DTD, and some alternate paths that get to the same 'DTD' but with different looking creases.

In the Roy Rogers u-tube we see a 'double' telescope start, then comes the front pinch taking it towards a teardrop, to make it a DTD. He also made an effort to rake it down in the back, breaking further from the telescope towards the teardrop look. The DTD in the Stetson white above was developed in that fashion; I discovered after-the-fact that 'my' method was not novel.

If, on the other hand, you begin with a traditional center crease and then 'roll out' some of the crown to make deep front dents, and after that take the crown to a teardrop (rounding the back of the crown, raking it down as well), this often will 'eat up' sufficient felt that there is not enough left to really put a full DTD in. I went that route with the Barcelona Stately, and it did not have enough felt to duplicate the crown in the Stetson white. Notice that the Stetson crown bows up in the final central teardrop (a triple?) but the Stately is a shallow pit. If I had left the Stetson in a pit it would have dipped deep enough to bottom out on my head; not acceptable. With the Stately, the remaining felt did not dip quite so deep.

Which style of DTD is preferred? I like the deeper rolled-out dents in the Stately for a classic fedora look, but the Stetson's telescope-initiated DTD is a more conservative, really smooth looking DTD, well consistent with typically more conservative cowboy hat creases. So I think the DTD style can be somewhat situational, or am I just obsessing? You really expected more, from a dog whisperer?

I should point out that the Stetson is a 4X, and the felt is really nice. Both are beaver blends, but the Stetson's felt is full weight cowboy, really plush after working quite a bit of the shellac out of the crown by passing warm coleman fuel (naptha) through it.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Hey, getdean48, where you come from, some shade of red (even crimson) would definitely be preferred to the orange. One of the problems with the orange pug is that it is cotton, not silk, so the color is not as saturated as the crimson pug, which is a silk. I have not been able to find a silk bright orange pug. The shiny silk crimson (ebay vendor mygallerygalore, Dorfman-Pacific Stacey Adams) definitely makes a more striking statement than the orange cotton pug from Shushans dot com. Happy trails to you, deputy swoopy.

Hey, getdean48, where you come from, some shade of red (even crimson) would definitely be preferred to the orange. One of the problems with the orange pug is that it is cotton, not silk, so the color is not as saturated as the crimson pug, which is a silk. I have not been able to find a silk bright orange pug. The shiny silk crimson (ebay vendor mygallerygalore, Dorfman-Pacific Stacey Adams) definitely makes a more striking statement than the orange cotton pug from Shushans dot com. Happy trails to you, deputy swoopy.

Not sure they would be allowed to do that to silk! Best to you & yours in the New Year John! Hope the dog has nothing but good things to tell you....

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Why didn't I see this thread earlier? I prefer light-colored, white or off-white hats over darker shades anytime (guess I've become heavily influenced by William Powell's choice of hats). It's a pity that they are so hard to find.

The only truly off-white hat in my collection happens to be my favorite lid at the moment. I guess you know which one that could be... ;)

Ta-da:

The Louis Custom Hatters Mark III:​

Louis-Custom-Hatters-Trimmed.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
That is a real beauty! I remember Louis The Hatter's store from when I first returned to Detroit in the mid 1980's. Not sure when they closed, but I wish I'd been "into" hats back then, might've ended up with some great ones like this.

DRB

One Too Many
This is my favorite thread also. Just to bump the thread up, here is another Optimo 1000 Porcelain White.

Optimo1000Jan052011.jpg

Keep 'em coming guys and gals.

DRB

One Too Many
Thank you Sir! I have another hat coming in a couple weeks. Bone Colored. Beaver. Gary White. I am pretty psyched about it.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
That Porcelain White looks great on you. Always enjoy seeing it, but look forward to seeing your next Gary White wonder.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe