Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen or worn denim that weighs more than my 14.75 oz Wranglers. I can't imagine needing heavier that this. Is there any advantage to the weight I can't think of? The rest of my life is spent in light weight Dickies work twill work pants.

zebedee

One Too Many
Dickies and Carhartt work trousers are about the heaviest trousers I own. I've never had a pair wear out/through.

My Gustin "beasts" were 26oz. Amazing but the sewed up small. I gained a few so I sold them. 21-23 is my sweet spot. But the Gustin 18s rock too.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never seen or worn denim that weighs more than my 14.75 oz Wranglers. I can't imagine needing heavier that this. Is there any advantage to the weight I can't think of? The rest of my life is spent in light weight Dickies work twill work pants.
Seb,
I think that the same type of person who gravitates to heavy CXL leather (and I am one of them) finds satisfaction in wearing heavier selvedge denim. There is a similar satisfaction to breaking in something that starts out stiff and unyielding and then molds to its wearer and becomes quite comfortable. I can't claim that there is any advantage to the heavier jeans in my experience.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Bloody hell, did you use a pair of pliers to button them?

I almost needed to the first time. They did turn out to be extremely comfortable in the right weather, though. The Zimbabwe cotton helped, but I think it is true that most heavy jeans do turn into pajamas eventually. It just takes some bleeding to get there.

@ButteMT61 Man, they would love you over on the Iron Heart forum :D

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Beyond me why anyone wants heavily tapered jeans, but there you go. One thing I've discovered about Gustin is that they don't seem to have any real re-sale value.

How anyone could ever wear straight leg or boot cut jeans is utterly a mystery to me, absolutely nothing looks worse; coming from a millennial's perspective straight cut jeans may as well be bell bottoms or ass less chaps.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"Coming from a millennial's perspective" now there's a phrase that will echo down the decades... The reason I don't understand tapered jeans, especially around here, is that they invariably sit awkwardly, either at the knee or when you get to the cuffs. Straight leg jeans, whether it's a wide leg or more orthodox width, sit more elegantly. Don't get me wrong, I've got some tapered jeans, but none of them look as good as my Lee archives, Freddies or SJCs.

"Coming from a millennial's perspective" now there's a phrase that will echo down the decades... The reason I don't understand tapered jeans, especially around here, is that they invariably sit awkwardly, either at the knee or when you get to the cuffs. Straight leg jeans, whether it's a wide leg or more orthodox width, sit more elegantly. Don't get me wrong, I've got some tapered jeans, but none of them look as good as my Lee archives, Freddies or SJCs.
Yes and skinny jeans are for the ladies. I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Nothing is less flattering on a mans physique than jeans that strangle your ankles. In my opinion it's incredibly feminine.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How anyone could ever wear straight leg or boot cut jeans is utterly a mystery to me, absolutely nothing looks worse; coming from a millennial's perspective straight cut jeans may as well be bell bottoms or ass less chaps.

Lol back at ya.

Rest assured, while you are laughing internally at us, we, sure as hell, are laughing at guys wearing women's jeans....then again the millennial guys seem to want to look more androgynous than masculine so it makes perfect sense I guess.

Men's jeans were born of workwear. The modern trend for all of men's clothing but particularly jeans is born of influence from women's fashion. For Gods sake even Target is selling men's t shirts that are damn near long enough to hit the knees. I feel sorry for the lot tbh. Trying too hard is never a good look.
IMG_5327.JPG

LOL. New hipster steps into a vintage clothing/lifestyle community and posts this tripe.
Get out of your shallow fishtank there. Hell, try a Miller in a country bar and let them know how much you hate their jeans.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree with this to an extent. I've definitely gone for more and more straight fitting jeans recently. That said, I cuff them and make sure they have no break. In that case, I think they look better. Boot cuts always look awful. They're just as bad as skinny jeans. Both fits are unnecessary and are costume. Youn't need a boot cut to fit over boots. Both styles are silly. My slimmest jeans still easily fit over all my engineers.

Last edited:

SJC

Suspended
I agree with this to an extent. I've definitely gone for more and more straight fitting jeans recently. That said, I cuff them and make sure they have no break. In that case, I think they look better. Boot cuts always look awful. They're just as bad as skinny jeans. You don't need a boy cut to fit over boots. Both styles are silly. My slimmest jeans still easily fit over all my engineers easily.
I think if you are going to go for skinny jeans , go with Diesel Made in Italy. They feel so good with their cutting edge materials, you'll sleep in them I guarantee or I'll give you a million bucks .

LOL. New hipster steps into a vintage clothing/lifestyle community and posts this tripe.
Get out of your shallow fishtank there. Hell, try a Miller in a country bar and let them know how much you hate their jeans.
Can't happen Butte! Too busy at lalapaloser listening to flashinpan band while looking cool in neon shades with a can of PBR. Neck beard optional but strongly encouraged.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Skinny jeans? Yeah, that's girls clothes right there. Unless you want to look like Gru, or Humpty Dumpty. Or unless you really have a pre-pubescent girls physique...
I don't.
All my jeans are straight leg. They easily fit neatly over my boots. I never wear baggy, loose jeans. I always make sure they fit properly and aren't loose and baggy on my butt. After all, I may be married, but I still want to get a few pulses racing ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe