Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goofy little furry Stetson "Playboy"

Warbaby

One Too Many
Anybody ever seen one of these? It's a Stetson 20 made of a very soft, furry felt with a feather band (which I think is original) and a super skinny brim. I'm guessing it's from the 60s-70s. Yes? No?

I picked it up the other day thinking it was kinda cool, but when I put it on, my wife couldn't stop laughing. Well, we all have moments when our style sense falters. I think it belongs on the head of someone a whole lot younger, worn perhaps with a polyester leisure suit...

I'm going to put it up for trade in the classifieds in a couple of days, but I wanted to post it here for the eddification of those who might otherwise miss seeing it.

furrystetson3.JPG

furrystetson5.JPG

furrystetson10.JPG

furrystetson12.JPG

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
That's OK if you're singer, comedian, or other kind of entertainers on stage :) but not for everyday's hat, at least for me lol

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Holy Moly !!:eek: :eek: :eek: Let me say that I am glade that I don't own that hat!:D
Hey I grew up in the 70's and I don't remember anything close to that kind of a hat and I am from CA. No, that has to be late 60's.
Hats are like potato chips you just can't have one.:D
I think this is one potato chip I will leave alone.

I wouldn't mind having that hat in the collection, just for the novelty of it (and to illustrate how Stetson has been known to resurrect its storied old model names). But I'd be reluctant to wear it, out of fear that on sight of it a reasonable person might reach for a shovel, with which to first bludgeon it to death and then to bury it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I believe that lid was marketed as the "Playboy II" in the sixties. At least the roman numeral separates it somewhat from the original...:eek:

Wonder if Huggy Bear owned one...lol

Cheers,
JtL

barrowjh

One Too Many
that look is called 'peluche' I think, and it is just a different way of finishing the felt (actually, NOT finishing the felt), in this case matched with a wild hat band and a stingy brim, definitely a late 60s to early 70s fad. Shag carpet cars, long hair, brightly colored suits, etc. The hat blank, instead of being sanded down to finish the felt, it is spun counter to the nap against a set of claw-like wires to intentionally raise the nap. Trimmed uniformly long - peluche, trimmed about half-way back it provides a uniform look sort of like velvet, and trimmed even tighter it looks like suede. Many fine looking vintage hats (and current day hats) sport that suede finish (minus the gaudy band and stingy brim, of course!), also referred to as cashmere (kasmir?) by some manufacturers.

I have a stingy-brim kelly green barbisio (the band is same color) peluche that I wear on winter hikes in the smokies.

110207007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe