Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear - order time

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wonder if wait time depends on the model one order, if he would be quicker when you order an A-2 cos it is very likely that the patterns for all sizes have been drawn up over the years.
I don’t think so although I’m sure you are correct that some jackets are quicker and easier to make than others.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
To the OP - it appears to be a serious test of commitment to order one of these jackets.

Personally I would look at Greg Field - Field leathers (Search for the thread here - lots of positive reviews)

Or Thedi Leathers - and if in the US consider ordering through Carrie at Thurston Brothers.
She is great at communication as well as nailing good fit.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Personally I would look at Greg Field - Field leathers (Search for the thread here - lots of positive reviews)

I currently have three FL on order. Ordered the first one January this year when the waiting time was said to be 5 months. He still hasn't started on it.

Or Thedi Leathers -

Ordered end of September and the jacket was completed yesterday. Waiting time 2-3 month.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To the OP - it appears to be a serious test of commitment to order one of these jackets.

Or Thedi Leathers - and if in the US consider ordering through Carrie at Thurston Brothers.
She is great at communication as well as nailing good fit.

Not sure i would recommend FL, to me the experience has been similar to GW, I was promised a fit jacket for January 2021, still nothing, no progress and no real communication...
Red Devil is in a similar situation.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Marc & Carlos - ok thanks. That is information I was not aware of.

Pretty challenging to "go it alone" in a craft business such as this. Certainly seems to be a high demand for these type of hand-made jackets, as evidenced by these wait times. I did notice on Greg's site that the only two leathers he is offering are black & blue Shinki.

Last edited:

ES335

One of the Regulars
Not to be rude or snarky, but I'd never knowingly enter into an agreement with a maker without making quite sure I could make my end of the deal- then and there. JC is very clear he is basically a one-man shop focused on absolute top quality, and as a result of that and high demand for his work there is a very significant delivery wait time. If that doesn't work for a customer, the customer has other options where he can pay up front, in full, and take delivery.

Not to be rude or snarky, but I'd never knowingly enter into an agreement with a maker without making quite sure I could make my end of the deal- then and there. JC is very clear he is basically a one-man shop focused on absolute top quality, and as a result of that and high demand for his work there is a very significant delivery wait time. If that doesn't work for a customer, the customer has other options where he can pay up front, in full, and take delivery.

I’m guessing that it isn’t necessarily the wait times that ticks people off. It’s the absolute lack of comms after a deposit has been made. The whole Keyser Soze routine. Anyways, another GW discussion is ends up here. Like Thanos, inevitable. Lol.

For me it’s simple. I can’t chase a maker down as if he is Bin Laden. I’ll take equal quality in shorter time with good comms, a la Thedi or LW. Like you said, we all deal with what we can to get to the payoff.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
It takes john about 4 days to make a jacket, which makes about 90 jackets a year that he makes, assuming he never takes a day off. If you do the numbers, John is not getting rich doing this. It's a passion for him, and I think he would probably make jackets even if they weren't selling. He may not be very good at running a business but he is a nice person, works hard, and cares about his craft. I think the Keyser soze and bin laden references are a little unfair. I know that nobody means to be unkind, but please try and remember that real human beings are attached to these comments

You are way too sensitive. That is how I communicate. A bit rough I guess but it is what is is. Product of my environment maybe. Just having some fun with a topic that pops up from time to time. He obviously isn’t bin laden. Thought that goes without saying.

But— he disappears and does not communicate. Maybe he should remember that the folks he ghosts are real human beings too, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squash_fav