Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Lord! What has happened to me???

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I went to the library today and checked out a bunch of movies based solely on their "hat appeal." Vertigo, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Untouchables, Miller's Crossing, etc.

I used to be normal. :confused:

Owney_Madden

New in Town
its got to be something to do with this site!! i went to the library looking at old books from the "golden age" for the same reason

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I'm *almost* as bad. I'm not going out to get such movies, but will wander by the old movie channels much more often than I ever used to. As in before I wound up so danged interested in hats.

Later!!

Stan

RHY

One of the Regulars
Normal?

Considering the state of the world today, we all may as well be back in the 1930s any way. The stock market crashed and took the wealth of the nation in to the toilet, the WPA and the CCC were created (can you say "Stimulus"), and the Securities and Exchange Commission was created to monitor the investment banking bandits. Sound familiar?

Interestingly, the Glass-Stegall Act was created in 1933 to seperate the commercial banks from the investment banking industry, because when they were combined the commercial banks lost the depositors money in the stock market "deals". The Glass-Stegall was repealed in 1999 by politicians like Sen. Phil Gramn and Sen. John McCain, because they thought the law was outdated and was of no use. Who would have thought that they were so wrong!

Those who do not read or understand history are bound to repeat it. And, by the way, the commercial banks again have the investment banking operations again, see Bank of America and Merrill, Lynch. Nightmare on Wall Street, Part II! Coming Soon in Your Lifetime.

RHY

One of the Regulars
Real Photos

Weegee's New York: Photographs, is a great book of photos of New York from 1935 to 1960 by one of the foremost tabloid photographers of the day. Weegee captured the nitty gritty life of New Yorkers and you can see the real people with their Stratoliners, Open Roads, Whippets and other hats which were used every day and was part of the normal wardrobe of the day.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Pduck, maybe its something in the air (besides the snow) in Wisconsin. I just recently came down with the same thing. Never owned/wore a hat in my life. Now I've bought 4, sold 1, and I'm looking for 1 more.

B

CopperNY

A-List Customer
embrace it. :)

a month ago i was mad that i could only wear jeans to work on Friday. now i wear a tie/polished shoes/fedora or cap every day. i finally -read- "The Big Sleep", much more lurid/trashy than the movie.

my wife loves it.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
buler said:
Pduck, maybe its something in the air (besides the snow) in Wisconsin. I just recently came down with the same thing. Never owned/wore a hat in my life. Now I've bought 4, sold 1, and I'm looking for 1 more.

B
I'm looking for one more to.......

barrowjh

One Too Many
Lots of parallels to the 30's. There was a collapse in real estate in 1927, 2 years before the stock market tanked in '29, similar to the turn of the PHI (philadelphia housing index) in 2005, 2 years before the october 2007 peak at DJI 14198. Real estate continued collapsing for 5 years after the 1932 low; does not bode well for those now waiting for real estate to 'come back.'

StylinLA

Familiar Face
SNL Update did a gag on how since we were going into a depression, at least we could look forward to better dressed homeless people with a shot of a 1930's soup line filled with men in nice overcoats and hats.

I think of that every time I "hat up."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe