Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Asian Films

poetman

A-List Customer
I like period pieces that are set in Asia. I really enjoyed "The White Countess," "Lust Caution," "In The Mood For Love," and "The Painted Veil." Can anyone recommend other films (vintage or modern) that display the golden era set in the Asian continent?

Thanks!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
"The Last Emperor," "The Mystery of Rampo," "Raise the Red Lantern," and "Shanghai Triad" all come to mind. Also some of the early Kurosawa like "Stray Dog" are also very much worth watching.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Memoirs of a Geisha, Empire of the Sun. Those are two that first come to mind. Modern made period films. The Quiet American, both the 1958 version with Audie Murphy & the 2002 version with Michael Caine and Brandon Fraser.
Seven Years in Tibet was rather enjoyable.

Anyway, those are ones I think are worth a look at.

Cheers!

Dan

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
The films of Naruse and Ozu are well worth checking out.

Sadly, there's just one Naruse picture available on DVD in the US, but there are several of Ozu's movies.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Just to clarify the first four I mentioned were are modern period pieces (well made in the past 25 years, so not golden era).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Was Memoirs of a Geisha better than the book? Because I tried to like the book, really I did...?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
skyvue said:
Kurosawa's Stray Dog, Drunken Angel and High and Low are surely close enough to film noir to qualify. They're all well worth watching (as is virtually any work by Kurosawa, in my book).

I raved somewhere on another thread about Kurosawa's Stray Dog. For me it was the humanity, not its crime/noir aspects, that were oustanding. If you haven't had a chance to see it, make sure you find time for it.

poetman

A-List Customer
Thanks for the recommendations! There's something about the Shanghai in the 30-40's I find so appealing. I think, in part, Asian people have a wonderful sense of honor and the importance of distinction that only amplifies the qualities I admire in the golden era.

I've heard of Stray Dog. It's on my list. Any others?--noir or not.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Lost Horizon is a good one set in Asia. I like period fills set in Asia as well. Don't really like movies actually made in Asia though, especially Japanese films.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
If your interests range to South Asia, a fun Golden Era Indian film is "Howrah Bridge." Fun to see Indian takes on 1950s Golden Era style and music. Besides it has the lovely Helen as a Chinese cabaret dancer singing her famous song "Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu" (my name is Chin Chin Chu):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKEMOenP-o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust