Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Aircraft

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Up For Down

Ohso pretty!

lol I've heard the Ercoupe is easier and I must admit it would be cool to say that I learned in such an old plane, but it may be better to start with slightly more complicated. The Zodiac has a stick instead of a yoke which is a little more unsettling, but if I start with that the Ercoupe will be cake. Tomorrow is the day to choose though, given that the weather cooperates!

Tally Ho! Up there is the earth, the aerobatic pilot said to his passenger!

Heater

Familiar Face
Martin B-10

My great uncle help design this plane. He also worked on the B-26 during WW II. At it's introduction, the B-10 was the fastest bomber in the world, and faster than any fighter in the Air Corps. Hap Arnold called the B-10 the airpower wonder of it's day.

martinb10b.jpg

HepKitty

One Too Many
My great uncle help design this plane. He also worked on the B-26 during WW II. At it's introduction, the B-10 was the fastest bomber in the world, and faster than any fighter in the Air Corps. Hap Arnold called the B-10 the airpower wonder of it's day.

martinb10b.jpg

That's really cool about your uncle. Did he fly too or just give other people wings? :)

Heater

Familiar Face
That's really cool about your uncle. Did he fly too or just give other people wings? :)
Uncle Lewis was a designer, he also worked on the Martin B-26 the flew in WWII. My father told me that Uncle Lewis knew Glenn Martin personally. Since I'm an aviation buff I just love this bit of family history.

HepKitty

One Too Many
1920s daredevil Gladys Ingle of the 13 Black Cats wing walks, transfers to another aeroplane and replaces a lost wheel. Oh - and she's not wearing a parachute. They just don't make daredevils like they used to...

http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_DiscussionBoardTopic.aspx?id=1235&boardid=147&forumid=180&topicid=5584

lol ok even I'm not that much of an adrenaline junkie. I'd rather fly the plane, methinks. Or at least have a parachute! Thanks for sharing that's really cool

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
First Flight

lol Too funny! We'll see if I can get far enough to do aerobatics :)

No flying today, too cloudy. Hopefully tomorrow!
I forgot to ask, have you had your first flight yet? If you can, you need to visit John Lane Jr. of Airpower Unlimited in Jerome, Idaho. Nice guy, and lots of cool restoration projects.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I forgot to ask, have you had your first flight yet? If you can, you need to visit John Lane Jr. of Airpower Unlimited in Jerome, Idaho. Nice guy, and lots of cool restoration projects.

*pouts* NO! The weather has only been decent on days where flying is not an option because of work and today was beautiful except it's a holiday weekend. But I did have to work today anyway, nice they gave us advance *snort* notice as of late Wednesday afternoon but I digress. The 3 days that we had scheduled were all overcast if not snowing! We're going to keep trying though. One thing has been decided though, I'm going to learn in the Zodiac. I guess the Ercoupe needs some FAA paperwork done or has some other red tape type issue. I was kinda leaning toward the Zodiac anyway because it's more complicated and I'd rather just get it over with instead of taking too many baby steps. I have 2 scholarship apps sent in so far but I won't hear back on them until February. Hope to have enough to take advantage of the few nice days there may be in the meantime though.

Thanks for the info on Mr Lane, I'll look him up :)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Weather & Couches

*pouts* NO! The weather has only been decent on days where flying is not an option because of work and today was beautiful except it's a holiday weekend. But I did have to work today anyway, nice they gave us advance *snort* notice as of late Wednesday afternoon but I digress. The 3 days that we had scheduled were all overcast if not snowing! We're going to keep trying though. One thing has been decided though, I'm going to learn in the Zodiac. I guess the Ercoupe needs some FAA paperwork done or has some other red tape type issue. I was kinda leaning toward the Zodiac anyway because it's more complicated and I'd rather just get it over with instead of taking too many baby steps. I have 2 scholarship apps sent in so far but I won't hear back on them until February. Hope to have enough to take advantage of the few nice days there may be in the meantime though.

Thanks for the info on Mr Lane, I'll look him up :)
Well, do keep us posted! Don't get to discouraged, weather is just part of the game, I have slept on many couches at different FBOs.

HepKitty

One Too Many
http://www.airportjournals.com/Display.cfm?varID=0608012

I'm in love and I'm not even done reading the first paragraph lol thanks again for the info, Jerome is only a couple hours away from here. Driving that is. Gonna try to talk Steve into yet another Saturday flying trip. I've already told him about the warbirds hiding in Driggs, though we haven't gotten to see them yet.

http://www.tetonaviation.com/

What do you fly Stearman? Besides the obvious?

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dreams

What do you fly Stearman? Besides the obvious?
Actually, I am not flying a Stearmen right now. That was from what seems like another life these days! Unfortunately, now that it's on my dime, I am not flying much. But between this thread, and some other threads, plus, some questions about the Lockheed PV2D Harpoon I once flew as copilot, I have the itch real bad again! I wish Stinson L5 Sentinels were not so expensive, I had a lot of fun with one back in the mid 90s. As I have been told, I have no right to complain, I got paid to do what others only dream of, even if it was all to brief, at least to me!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You know, it occurs to me that somebody should revive that all time great thread "Identify this aircraft - from the interior". I have no candidates, but I think I'll go find that thread and give it a good solid bump, see what happens. :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Actually, I am not flying a Stearmen right now. That was from what seems like another life these days! Unfortunately, now that it's on my dime, I am not flying much. But between this thread, and some other threads, plus, some questions about the Lockheed PV2D Harpoon I once flew as copilot, I have the itch real bad again! I wish Stinson L5 Sentinels were not so expensive, I had a lot of fun with one back in the mid 90s. As I have been told, I have no right to complain, I got paid to do what others only dream of, even if it was all to brief, at least to me!

*sigh* dreams for sure. I'd love to be a commercial pilot and do aerobatics. Forget this staring at the PC screen all day!

dhermann that's a good idea, bring it on! Unfortunately the only interior pic I really have is the one of the gauges from that Stearman or what we think is a Stearman. Have yet to make it back to the airport and get the N#

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I may have mentioned this before but my favourite biplane of all time is the Stearman Speedmail.

This love affair started by accident when I purchased the below replica tin sign from an op shop. It was a real workhorse and one of the most beautiful planes ever made. It just looks so solid and strong, from the cowling to that big 'ol square tail.

HangerLarge.gif

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
von Richthofen

Just finished reading Ace profile 3, Manfred von Richthofen. I am not the biggest Red Baron fan, but this book has given me a new respect for the man! Not only does it go into the planes he flew and there color schemes, it also dispels many of the myths that have appeared in the last 90 plus years. Yes he did nose over on his first solo, but, it was an informal solo by his pilot, and with only 25 hours, instead of 30. No he did not need three tries to pass his pilots exam. All pilots went through three mandatory exams, he did fail his first, but then passed it and the other two. Keep in mind, there was a 50% wash out rate for students! No Werner Voss was not on track to pass him in number of kills. Voss did get to with in 13 before he was killed, but Manfred was grounded during this time, though he did get two during unauthorised flights. A little dry, with lots of statistics and percentages, but worth muddling through. Though I was very disappointed to find out that the LFG Roland C.II Walfisch had very bad landing habits, though Manfred never Pranged one. I though this would make a great project for a replica to fly at air shows. Unfortunately, most of his Crates were not even photographed, and he rarely talked about the type of plane or colors, other then red hood, red tail and red body, not much to go on! It wasn't until his last couple of planes that the press really started to photograph them. Still, a must read for any WWII aircraft buff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe