Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to the movies with Senior Citizens

koopkooper

Practically Family
Today I went to the movies to see "Beyond the Sea" (yes I know it took a while to get to Australia.Don't know why)

Anyway, the only people in the cinema were elderly people and man what a great experience. So many times when you go to the movies it's just so annoying with people talking and mobile phones going off.

Not today, a wonderful movie experience with adults who know how to act in public.....I'm seriously thinking about moving into a retirement village, might be a better environment! Mind you they might not accept me due to the age restrictions, although I do remember an episode of Seinfeld when Kramer moved to a village in Florida and was the most popular person in the retirement village!

green papaya

One Too Many
if you want to go to movies mostly elderly people attend, go to movies about historical events, old fashioned stories, etc

The GREAT RAID [WWII true story]

Cinderella Man [true story about a boxer back in the 1920's -30's]

PEARL HARBOR

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

THE WORLD's FASTEST INDIAN
true story about an elderly man from New Zealand [Burt Munro] that came to the US to break the world's speed record on his 1920's motorcycle at the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1967

I noticed when I went to see those movies, only middle aged and older were in the theater, maybe a couple younger aged people

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I find that the clientele at the theatre where I work is overwhelmingly older folks -- it's a restored classic downtown theatre, and we show mostly independent/art films, documentaries, and the occasional classics, and the demographics work out to about 60 percent seniors, 35 percent under-62 adults, and 5 percent students/teens/kids.

But go out to the multiplex outside town, and you'll run into an overwhelmingly teen audience -- and practically no seniors in evidence anywhere. Part of that's the demographics of the films that are shown, of course -- but I think also younger folks just don't think of going to a movie downtown. They're a generation that's grown up with multiplexes, and the idea of going to a single-screen downtown theatre is as foreign to their whole worldview as would be shopping in a mom-n-pop variety store instead of going to the mall.

Now, we aren't a college town -- if we were, I suspect the demographics would be very different. But nonetheless, I think if you're looking for a grown-up well-behaved movie crowd, avoid the multiplexes and support your own local indie theatre! (The popcorn's usually better too.)

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure what it says about me, but in general I prefer the company of older folks as opposed to most people of my generation (I'm 27.) There is just a wealth of wisdom and experience there--so much to soak up!

Mycroft

One Too Many
As a heads up there are age minimums in Florida these days for many of the developments and "villages." Anyhow, I found it difficult to find a movie my grandparents and I could watch together, but Art and Foreign films work well for us.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I have gone to movies where senior citizens who couldn't hear the movie made so much noise that it was impossible for young people to enjoy the movie. They were constantly talking to eachother trying to determine what had happened or what had been said.

I think that culture is more important than age. I went to a movie in Paris and it was like being at church. Nobody talked or did anything that might disrupt another filmgoer. When I opened a soda bottle and it made the noise releasing the carbonation I could feel everybody in the theatre staring at me. A very different experience than here.

Air Boss

Familiar Face
When I visit my Dad in Florida we go to the movies and it's usually all retirees. They are quiet and I can enjoy the movie. Here in PA I don't go out much. The audiences are rude (talking back to the screen, walkie-talkie cell phones, etc.) and that's the adults. If the theater owners want my money, do something about the audience.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mycroft said:
As a heads up there are age minimums in Florida these days for many of the developments and "villages." Anyhow, I found it difficult to find a movie my grandparents and I could watch together, but Art and Foreign films work well for us.

"Century Pines" also known as "Cemetary Pines" is a big development in Florida. I think they now have 4 different locations. Try stayin' there for a week when you're 21, definitely Seinfeldian.
My Granny lives in a retirement community. She is the oldest member at 87, and my what a life she is living. Lucky for me she loves going to the movies. So, I never have to search for something that she would like, she'll see just about anything. That's my Gran's, up for anything:D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Old folks here are willing to talk and unwrap crinkly candies and make comments and stuff. Grr.

So I go when nobody's at the theater at all, catch a matinee about two-and-a-half weeks into a movie's release. Quiet.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
i love going to the movies with my grandma. i like to be quiet while watching a film and i have noticed that shes pretty much the only person who doesnt bug me and try to talk when i go to the movies!

people nowadays just dont know how to act. last time i went to the movies with her some popcorn man shouted at her because she was trying to get a discount! granted, my grandma is a bit of a penny-pincher, but still, he did not need to SHOUT at her and be so rude!

green papaya

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
i love going to the movies with my grandma. i like to be quiet while watching a film and i have noticed that shes pretty much the only person who doesnt bug me and try to talk when i go to the movies!

people nowadays just dont know how to act. last time i went to the movies with her some popcorn man shouted at her because she was trying to get a discount! granted, my grandma is a bit of a penny-pincher, but still, he did not need to SHOUT at her and be so rude!

maybe your grandmother looks too young to get the senior citizens discount? :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
My great-uncle was telling me how his brother-in-law and a group of other retirees meet at the first matinee, around 10:30 - 11:00 a.m., pay for the first movie, when that's finished they go to the snack bar, have a hamburger for lunch, then go see another movie that's playing. Management usually doesn't care that they theater hop because during the week no one is there anyway.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld