Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going for a Gatsby/Newsboy cap...

Edward

Bartender
Kodiak said:
Do any of you folks from the other side of the pond know where to find Hannah caps in England/Ireland?

I figured that they would be pretty popular and, thus, easy to find, but I want to be sure before I leave in a couple of weeks.

I mean... how can you go to Ireland and not buy a tweed cap?

Can't honestly say I've heard of them, but then I'm still very new at this hat game.... the only thing I can find online is this:

http://www.rmr-hats.com/24/Hannah-Hats-Ireland.html

If that's the style of thing you're looking for (the generic style is typically called a "flat cap" over here, at least in my experience it always has been!), they're relatively commonly available under various brands in old-fashioned gentlemen's outfitters type stores, in tweed fabrics. I've found a stall in Covent Garden market here in London recently that has caps like this in various Donegal and Harris Tweeds.

Is Hannah a brand, or a design? Can't seem to find anything else other than the above about them on the web at all...

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Is Hannah a brand, or a design? Can't seem to find anything else other than the above about them on the web at all...

From what I know, Hannah is a brand. They sell their caps at Noggintops:

http://www.noggintops.com/uploaded/products/hannacap400.jpg

...the generic style is typically called a "flat cap" over here...

Yeah. That's the style. I call them flat caps, but they are also known by about a million other names, especially Ivy Caps.

I've found a stall in Covent Garden market here in London recently that has caps like this in various Donegal and Harris Tweeds.

Tell me about this stall. I'll be in Covent Garden several times while I am in London in the next few weeks. Does the place have a name? Whereabouts is it at? Is it hard to find?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Another option for a newsboy cap may be over at Hat People. They even offer a Sports Cap to boot. He appears to not only make them in the wide & flat Big Apple size but a more diminutive close to the skull model can be had as well, with just about every other sizing in between, and a variety of fabrics from herringbone tweed to linen. They may be worth a looksee. Has anyone here purchased from these folks? If so, what do you think of their lids?

Cheers!

Dan

J.B.

Practically Family
Hanna vice Hannah

Here's a link to Hanna Hats of Donegal.

(They're perfect for wearing to the track!) :)

In the 80's, I had five of 'em in rotation -- but I must warn you -- a Hanna Hat is considered Almas caviar to the moth community!!! :D

Edward

Bartender
Kodiak said:
Tell me about this stall. I'll be in Covent Garden several times while I am in London in the next few weeks. Does the place have a name? Whereabouts is it at? Is it hard to find?

I saw it when I last passed through there on a weekend afternoon - I think it was a Saturday... if you go towards the Covent Garden market itself, the big building in the middle of the Square (follow the directions from Covent Garden tube station and you can't miss it). The stall was in the covered market area in the centre of the building (the building is in three sort of sections - the outer two are arcades of fixed shops, the inner one has all the stalls). If you're gonig into the middle of the building coming straight down from the tube stations, if memory serves you just head into the middle section then turn immediately to the right. It's thed only stall in there that does that sort of thing to my knowledge, so not hard to find. I didn't catch a name. They had a whoel range of flat caps in various tweeds, all Donegal or Harris. I didn't really spend too much time there as I tend not to go hat shopping (unless for a repeat prescription, as it were, without a second opinion to hand), but the caps they had on display all seemed to be good quality, well made and durable. The price labels I saw were all in and around the GBP15-20 mark (USD30-40 last I looked).

There are also any number of places that do hats on Oxford Street, at the Eastern End, towards Tottenham Court Road, but you'll not find much there - really they're dominated by hip hop and mainstream fashion, "disposable" / cheap hats, and the flat caps they stock tend to be only modern hip hop style Kangols.

Edward said:
I think there is a slight difference between the way they are calculated in the US and over this side of the Atlantic.... it's been a while, but if I recall correctly, a UK/IRL size 7 is equivalent to a US 7 1/4. I always make sure to go by quoted circumfernece measurements in cm to be sure... that makes me a 57, which I've found to be generally pretty consistent internationally when they quote measurements that way.

UK sizes run 1/8 bigger than US sizes. So, a UK 6 7/8 is a US 7.

57 cm is US 7 1/8, UK 7

bk

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
B! Wear Caps

I've got two B! wear caps - one in linen and one in brown herringbone. They're well made but don't quite flop right for my taste - there's not quite enough fabric. I too bought a no-name cap in NYC (on 8th ave, by Penn station) and it was pretty great. I'll be buying another when I go up there next...

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Paddy that looks nice!

Anyone know how Wigens' caps compare? The B! Wear caps look cool, but I don't think my face could pull it off... probably need a trimmer cut. Could they make less of a deep cut, or is this the true-blood traditional style of newsboy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust