Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves: sizing, etiquette and all other stuff

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
VintageJess- My husband wore white gloves to our reception, because he wore his dress blues and stole the show! :( That uniform always does.

However, I have proof he still adores me. Picture this:

Husband seated comfortably, watching TV or reading.

PSG at computer, upstairs: "Hey! I won this really cute hanky on ebay! Wanna see it??"

Mr. PSG, sighing. "Yes, let me see."

heh

Ah, the tragedy of being married to a Marine--knowing that they will always be dressed better than you...;)
It's quite painful isn't it?

Jessica

ITG

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the links. I think I may go with black because this green may be a bit tough to color match. And that way I can wear black shoes to go with the gloves.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I'd heard that opera gloves were fashionable about a year ago, but haven't seen that trickle down to the streets.

I was in Paris in March and no gloves. There were some lovely white kidskin gloves for sale in the formal department of Galleries Lafayette, but that is to be expected.

It was pretty cold, and I didn't even see ladies wearing them to keep warm much. In fact even though it was cold some French ladies were wearing shorts (with boots to keep warm).

However if you want to wear gloves, go ahead, they are a very nice touch.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I checked my glove links, table cutting is where they cut a blank and then check to see if it stretches. If this isn't done then you get ill-fitting baggy gloves.

Or you could just get fabric ones with stretch and save a lot of money.

Rosie

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I checked my glove links, table cutting is where they cut a blank and then check to see if it stretches. If this isn't done then you get ill-fitting baggy gloves.

Or you could just get fabric ones with stretch and save a lot of money.

Oh great, I was searching but couldn't find an answer. These are NOS leather. Not a good buy?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
what is NOS? Is that a typo?

Table cut gloves should cost more, and be of better quality. I was just saying that cloth gloves are more economical, with a good fit.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I haven´t seen any gloves around here or in fashion-magazines yet (but it would be too hot for them anyway right now) so I think that´s just a rumour... But lets see what autumm brings...

Rosie

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
what is NOS? Is that a typo?

Table cut gloves should cost more, and be of better quality. I was just saying that cloth gloves are more economical, with a good fit.

Yes, NOS is New Old Stock, sorry. Like an old item that was never bought so, it's "new" even though it's vintage.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
I had an amusing incident occur at church. I was wearing these:

As I entered, I saw that a friend I've known since infancy was ushering. I held out my hand expecting him to give me a bulletin, but instead he shook it. I laughed because we've known each other since we were babies, and we've never shaken hands before. I told him "I wasn't tryin' to shake your hand, you silly man, I just wanted a bulletin!" He replied "Well, it can't hurt; you are wearing gloves!" lol

Etienne

A-List Customer
Blanche, what lovely gloves!! What did your outfit look like and were you wearing a hat?

(Funny that you mentioned the shaking hands story, because when I went to purchase a pair of gloves recently in a vintage store, the shopkeeper said that she has been told by other customers that they are buying gloves to wear again to cut back on germs passed along by hands. Interesting. I had never thought about that!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe