Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking of ditching my corselette for a cincher. The corselette just doesn't fit me right. The cups aren't cut full enough on the top (and I'm only a 36B!) and I get the dreaded quattro-boob so much that I usually have to wear a bra over the corselette to help normalize the way everything looks up top.

I have to wear a bra with it too! I don't mind several pieces if I get the look I want but it's still isn't quite right. Which cincher are you looking at?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
I have to wear a bra with it too! I don't mind several pieces if I get the look I want but it's still isn't quite right. Which cincher are you looking at?

Well there are only 2 Rago ones, right? The 21 (with the lace panel in front) and the 821 (with the satin panel). They're the same cincher, right? Or does one offer more control than the other?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
PS said:
Does anyone wear Playtex bras? I always thought they were for more plus sizes but lately my 34DD's have been killing my back. I've never really dealt with this before. I have been at my computer A LOT with my school work.

I used to live in Playtex bras before I lost weight. They are comfortable, but do nothing for your figure. I bought a few in my new size, then I got a couple in the same size from Fredrick's. Believe it or not, the Fredrick's bras are more comfortable. I think it's because the Playtex bras do nothing for lift, I was always pulling my shoulders back. With the underwire, push-up from Fredrick's, they're already way up high and I don't have to do much work. My current size is 38DDD

PS

A-List Customer
There is the 21 and the 721 and the 821
I have the 721 and hear the 21 is firmer but then the 821 is the firmest....
now i am really confused.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I used to live in Playtex bras before I lost weight. They are comfortable, but do nothing for your figure. I bought a few in my new size, then I got a couple in the same size from Fredrick's. Believe it or not, the Fredrick's bras are more comfortable. I think it's because the Playtex bras do nothing for lift, I was always pulling my shoulders back. With the underwire, push-up from Fredrick's, they're already way up high and I don't have to do much work. My current size is 38DDD

i love frederick's bras - well, mostly just one. it's one of the super-shiny satin ones. i wore those before my breast reduction, and i still do now - just in smaller sizes of course! they are so uplifting, not too uncomfortable, and really affordable and go on sale often.

PS

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
i love frederick's bras - well, mostly just one. it's one of the super-shiny satin ones. i wore those before my breast reduction, and i still do now - just in smaller sizes of course! they are so uplifting, not too uncomfortable, and really affordable and go on sale often.

I had never considered the Fredericks bra's before. They always seemed to be more of a 'sexier than well functioning' brand to me. I will have to take a look.
I was on the Playtex site and they had one or two with under wires but of course not in stores near me. I usually love my GAP Body bras, LOVE. But I've been losing weight over the past year and ordered a new size and am thinking I need to try again. Oh, speaking of Fredericks I picked up a corset from them last night at Gabes for seven bucks (score score score!) and have no idea how to lace it. Are there any tutorials our there? This was another reason I was thinking I needed to get resized, I bought mine but the bust is has too much room..or is it supposed to?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I got my ebay cincher. It is not a Rago, so I wonder if I'm getting what I paid for, ya know? While it does take me in a good 2-3inches, there is an unsightly lump on each side seam, just above the waist, right under the ribcage. Could it be too small or just a factor of being a cheap garment?

PS

A-List Customer
lyburnum that was fantastic! a visual always helps me! i am going to try it now!
.....just as an aside, does WKD ship to the US?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I got my ebay cincher. It is not a Rago, so I wonder if I'm getting what I paid for, ya know? While it does take me in a good 2-3inches, there is an unsightly lump on each side seam, just above the waist, right under the ribcage. Could it be too small or just a factor of being a cheap garment?

What brand did you purchase? I haven't had this problem with Rago, I have 3 of them and I don't get a lump. Is it the side seam buckling out? It may be that it just isn't made very well and the side seams are not shaped to you enough. I'm sorry that you haven't got the result you were after, it sounds to me like you may need to invest in a Rago afterall, take it from me they really are worth every penny.

I had a similar experience with a cheaper on-the-waist girdle that just rolled up at the bottom no matter what I did, and after walking around for a while it rode up to just under my ribcage!! What a nightmare that was.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I've got proof that the WKD power mesh cincher works wonders! Last night I was looking at some trousers at a lady's stall at Hellzapoppin' and she looked at me and said, "What size are you, a 10?" to which I responded with - lol I am a UK size 12-14 and I wish I was a size 10 again! I don't know how I survived without this beauty. So to whoever is in doubt of purchasing one, it comes HIGHLY recommended by me.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
OBG

Ok ladies,

I ordered a beautiful Open Bottom Girdle and it was my exact measurements. Overall, I really enjoyed it and found it comfortable, however I am wondering if I should go up a size.

The zipper side does not lay 'flat' on my hip...it ripples a little. The boning on the right hip digs in quite uncomfortably and the waist dug in a little too while I was sitting.

My thought is that if an undergarment isn't comfortable, it does not fit properly.

MissHannah

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
I got my order from whatkatiedid today! The rago cincher is perfect - takes me in by an inch and makes me all lovely and smooth and curvy. And it looks lovely too. I can't believe I'd not bought one earlier! The bullet bra is on the large side though, so I'm returning that and ordering the next size down. Thankfully it's still in stock as it's a sale item.

Lyburnum, do you mind me asking which size you got and what size your waist is naturally? From your photos you look like a pretty slim gal and I was thinking about getting the cincher to get my waist down just an inch to 23-24"

If this is a little too much info on the public boards drop me a PM. Or ignore me if you think it's just too impertinent full-stop!! Oh and I found the bra back sizes big too - I'm usually a 30-32 but their 32 was WAY too big. If they ever start doing a 30" or even a 28" I will be a very happy woman :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Noirdame - I wouldn't personally wear something if it was too uncomfortable. Different types and makes of girdles tend to be cut slightly differently, some are produced with a little more give than others (much like bras)
You may find that you can "wear it in" after a while, however my experience of girdles is that if anything "gives" it's usually you, not your foundation garment :confused: . You may find it easier to go up a size after all. Which type did you buy if you don't mind my asking?

MissHannah- Do mention your feedback to WKD about the smaller band size issue, I just had the same problem with a bra I took a chance on from the sale thinking that I could take it in at the sides but it really wasn't going to work!!! I took the opportunity to mention how welcome smaller band sizes would be on the comments part of the returns slip. I figure that the more of us ask the more likely we are to get results!:)

MissHannah

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
MissHannah- Do mention your feedback to WKD about the smaller band size issue, I just had the same problem with a bra I took a chance on from the sale thinking that I could take it in at the sides but it really wasn't going to work!!! I took the opportunity to mention how welcome smaller band sizes would be on the comments part of the returns slip. I figure that the more of us ask the more likely we are to get results!:)

I told them all about it on the return form too! I have got a couple of vintage bullet bras but they aren't nearly as pretty as the WKD ones and they aren't too comfortable either. They also make my boobs look a bit pre-pubescent - hardly the voluptuous sweater girl look I'm after ;)

Joli7211

Familiar Face
My question is how do you size something like a corset? My measurements unrestricted are 40/36/39 - b/w/h.... I'm also petite. The small town that I live in does not have corsets for sale, and it's a day's drive to go somewhere that might sell something like that. At least if I could know what size to look for, I might have a chance of getting something that fits properly.

lyburnum

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Lyburnum, do you mind me asking which size you got and what size your waist is naturally? From your photos you look like a pretty slim gal and I was thinking about getting the cincher to get my waist down just an inch to 23-24"

If this is a little too much info on the public boards drop me a PM. Or ignore me if you think it's just too impertinent full-stop!! Oh and I found the bra back sizes big too - I'm usually a 30-32 but their 32 was WAY too big. If they ever start doing a 30" or even a 28" I will be a very happy woman :)

I'm probably the same size as you. I'm a natural 24.5, and with the power mesh waist cincher I'm an inch smaller at 23.5.

I'm a 32 as well and my main problem was the cup size. The band was about right.

On another note, I ordered a steel boned corset recently and it arrived this morning. Think I need some practice with the lacing however, as I couldn't get it as tight as I wanted it. Must. Make. Waist. Smaller!

As far as choosing a corset size, it's best to check with the retailer to see how they size them. Kaos corsets has a sizing chart on their site - you choose a corset waist 2-4" smaller than your natural waist. http://cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=kaoscorsets

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
I told them all about it on the return form too! I have got a couple of vintage bullet bras but they aren't nearly as pretty as the WKD ones and they aren't too comfortable either. They also make my boobs look a bit pre-pubescent - hardly the voluptuous sweater girl look I'm after ;)

Incidentally have you tried Freya's retro range? They go down to a 28 in the band size and start at a B in the cup. I would really recommend giving this range a try, the bras are made from a fairly non-stretch satin type fabric and give a really good smooth finish under tight sweaters. It's not a bullet bra but it's very good believe me!;)

I have both styles but the Retro Padded Plunge has to be one of the best bra's I have ever bought, check out the vintage styled back detail on it here (just click the "back" button underneath the image) : http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product_id=FRA-AA3411A

I have this in Black and Nude, (the Black looks terrific with the WKD Black Satin Mae Underbust Corset) there was also a Cameo pink version available that was a lovely vintage petal-pink colour you may be able to track that down if you hunt about on the internet if you're lucky. The other colours they did were Raspberry and Magenta that were gorgeous too.

If you are interested then I would also mention that you may find you need to go up a cup size on the Padded version, but can stay your normal size on the regular underwired version.
BTW the knickers are horrible and I wouldn't recommend those to anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe