Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Interestingly, until Oscar signed and endorsement agreement with Bombay Sapphire (I believe it is around $150,00 a year, paid to the city) the only gin he would drink was Beefeaters.

Cheers,

RC

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Boodles is my favorite, also, a cheaper one but tasty for the kind of martini I like: Seagram's Extra Dry Lime Twisted Gin.

I agree Locktowndog. I have to specify gin for my martini or I will get vodka in almost any bar I am in. At least the waitress at a local restaurant was savy enough to ask me if I wanted vodka or gin when I once failed to specify. Thank goodness she asked.

I don't really consider a vodka martini to be a"real" martini, anymore than those apple and lemon concoctions they make nowadays. It's in a martini glass, that's all.

karol

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Just last week, I asked for a Gimlet - actually asked, not ordered, because they didn't have it on the menu. The waiter wondered "Er, you mean a Vodka Gimlet?" First I was happy, because that seemed to indicate they had some Rose's lime juice somewhere, and I had spotted a bottle of Bombay Sapphire already. So, without starting a discussion, I replied "No, a gin gimlet," only to learn they didn't have any lime juice after all, but this - pointing to something on the menu - was very similar to a gimlet. "This" was some premixed alcopop consisting of sugar, bubbles, lemon flavour and vodka…

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I like Bombay (regular, not Sapphire). For me, the perfect Martini cosists of 4 parts Bombay gin to 1 part Martini & Rossi dry vermouth, shaken and served with an olive (or two). Yummy!:icon_smil

dostacos

Practically Family
I usually don't drink when I am out and about, however at the Queen Mary I won't be driving so I might just try a martini cause. then back to either black and tans

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
I don't really consider a vodka martini to be a"real" martini, anymore than those apple and lemon concoctions they make nowadays. It's in a martini glass, that's all.
Uh, 'scuse me ma'am, but I can't let such an analogy go unchallenged.

The fruity-sweety-goofy potations add extraneous flavorings and other components. The use of vodka in place of gin adds no such frippery. In fact it subtracts one thing: the juniper flavoring found in gin.

A simple vodkatini may not be purist, but it certainly is pure. Besides, I happen to find them quite refreshing in a minimalist, Nordic sort of way. Up with a twist, please.

Feraud

Bartender
I keep forgetting to get to the liquor store and have been nursing a bottle of Bombay.
Try this gin lovers - 1.25 oz. gin, .25 grenadine, .75 lemon juice, 1 egg white. Shake with ice and strain into glass...Clover Club.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Gin Appreciation Round...

I had a thought gang, why not have a gin drink for all of us together at the QM? We can all think of a gin cocktail that we like and order it on the QM. I hope they have more than just well gin. That would be a greek tragedy.

FG.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My grandparents were all English and so gin appreciation is big in my family.

I like the dry stuff and up until recently it was Tanqueray which got my vote, but recently I tried Cadenhead's Old Raj and this stuff is THE BEST gin I have ever tasted. Dry as the Sahara and beautiful tasting. Unusually it is not clear but has a slightly yellowish tinge due to a very small amount of saffron added.

It's strong too 50% alcohol (100 proof) and with a brilliant drawing of an old kohai on the bottle. I wouldn't buy any other gin now.

OldRaj003shrunk.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ah, but it's been a gimlet-soaked summer!:)

I had been drinking Plymouth for a while, but lately I've been enjoying Broker's Gin. Nice botanicals, and I love their hat theme. What's not to like about a bottle of gin that admonishes "Don't forget your hat!"

Brad

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Can't say that I drink enough gin to be an expert, but when I want a Gin and Tonic it better be GIN. Likewise on those rare occasions when I make myself a martini, it has to be gin.
Little known gin fact: It's good for period cramps. It's true, ladies. It's the juniper. Works like a charm. I've seen it work. On a couple of occasions I mixed up a G&T for my wife and she swore by it.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I've seen it work. On a couple of occasions I mixed up a G&T for my wife and she swore by it.

Well, I've seen men curse, too, when they had one too many.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe