Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the zipper all the way up

klind65

One of the Regulars
Having trouble with back dress zippers. I have stiff shoulders I guess and simply cannot reach far enough to get the zippers on the backs of dresses up all the way. I have had to stop in at my tailor's early in the morning and again on the way home to be zipped up and down, respectively! They are very obliging but I'd surely prefer to have some way to do it myself. Does anyone know of a device for accomplishing this!? - Or has anyone a similar problem and if so, what do you do?

Bartender edit: Also edited here. And one or the other of these will be dropped.

Lenore

Practically Family
When my grandmother got older and couldn't reach around like she used to, she put a little clip on a long string. She clipped the clip onto the zipper, put the string over her shoulder, and pulled. To pull it down, she clipped and pulled the string down by her hip. We got the idea from women who self lace back lace corsets. It worked for her until she couldn't reach the zipper at all. Good luck!

klind65

One of the Regulars
*Schatzi* said:
You can tie a ribbon or a piece of string to the zipper so you can reach it and pull it up. you can then untie it when it is at the top or leave it if it is pretty. :)
Thanks for your reply. I actually have tried this, but found that either the thread broke or slipped off the zipper nib. Unfortunately, not all zippers have the little aperture through which to place a string or thread. But thanks for the thought - we're on the same track!:)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I find that the zipper has to be completely straight all the way up, or else it won't give. So I sew little clips to the very top of the zipper, inside facing, and clip those up wearing the dress backwards, then switch it around and pull up the zipper that way, tugging on the bottom with one hand.

If not, my fiancé is usually happy to oblige. lol

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've used a large, unbent paper clip. Put it in the zipper before stepping into the dress, and than pull it up as far as possible, transferring the paper clip to the other hand. After a few tries, it's easier than it sounds.

maisie

Practically Family
I have seen a device from the 40's (in its packaging or else I wouldn't have a clue what it was!) that is similiar to the ribbon idea... it just would of been more expensive!
I believe you clipped it to the zipper then zipped up with ease due to the extra length of the 'tool'! Whether you left it on or not though I suppose depended on what it looked like.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
I've used a large, unbent paper clip. Put it in the zipper before stepping into the dress, and than pull it up as far as possible, transferring the paper clip to the other hand. After a few tries, it's easier than it sounds.
Thanks; this is a good idea. Several people have posted similar ideas, but the problem here is that most of my zippers are "smooth" that is to say, they do not have the little hole through which a ribbon or clip or anything can be attached, more's the pity!

klind65

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Thanks, Vintage Betty and everyone for your replies, but the problem here is that most of my zippers are "smooth" that is to say, they do not have the little hole through which a ribbon or clip or anything can be attached, more's the pity! :eek:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
klind65 said:
Thanks, Vintage Betty and everyone for your replies, but the problem here is that most of my zippers are "smooth" that is to say, they do not have the little hole through which a ribbon or clip or anything can be attached, more's the pity! :eek:

zipper_1_o1as.jpg

even smooth handled zippers have a place where that handle meets the actual zip mechanism. You just might need to thread fishing line through that -smaller- hole for those ones.....I would suggest a very long length of it....threaded through to the midway point of the fishing line, then left like that and you can pull the zip up by grabbing the ends of the fishing line.

Then when zip is up....pull on the fishing line to take it out.

Is not as neat and handy as a gizmo, but if its truly an issue, it will work

klind65

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
zipper_1_o1as.jpg

even smooth handled zippers have a place where that handle meets the actual zip mechanism. You just might need to thread fishing line through that -smaller- hole for those ones.....I would suggest a very long length of it....threaded through to the midway point of the fishing line, then left like that and you can pull the zip up by grabbing the ends of the fishing line.

Then when zip is up....pull on the fishing line to take it out.

Is not as neat and handy as a gizmo, but if its truly an issue, it will work
Miss Neecerie, you are the best! Thanks :) :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
you can fasten a bracelet through a regular zipper. For zipper pulls without a hole, you can bend a paper clip or safety pin around the zipper pull after tying a ribbon of piece of string to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe